HPV Immunisation

Mrs Doubtfire

DIS Veteran
My DD (age 12) has just brought home a consent form for the HPV jab (cervical cancer).

I don't really know that much about it - has anyone an opinion on this - good or bad? Has your daughter had this jab?

I had it done a few years ago. I didn't suffer with any side effects apart from an aching arm which is what I get from all my injections. Still alive to tell the tale :rotfl:

Hi

My eldest DD had it in school a couple of years ago&was fine, other than complaining of a sore arm, but then again she is a drama queen ;)

Middle DD is due to start her injections next month. She has one in October & November then the last one next March.

If it helps prevent cervical cancer then I'm all for it:cheer2:

My DD is due to have this next week but after doing some online research I've decided against it so won't be signing the forms.

Whilst there are many who have had no side effects there are equally many who have and after reading about what the actual immunisation is meant to do/prevent it didn't seem worth the risk at this stage in her life.

I'd read a few negative things too and it always make you wary, although I suppose the majority don't post that they haven't had any problems :confused3

My three all had theirs a few years ago and were fine apart from the usual sore arm. One did have a bad headache after one jab although as she suffers with these it may have been either a coincidence or else brought on by the worry of the jab.

Me too :thumbsup2

but it doesn't necessarily, taken from the NHS site:

"Preventing cervical cancer
The most common high-risk types of HPV (HPV-16 and HPV-18) are responsible for about 70% of cervical cancer cases.

If your immune system does not deal with a high-risk HPV infection, it can lead to cell changes (dyskaryosis) and abnormal growth of pre-cancerous cells in your cervix. This is also known as cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN).

CIN is not cancer but, if left untreated, it can develop into cancer in some women. This can take up to 10 years.

The HPV vaccine does not protect against all types of HPV, so it is not guaranteed to prevent cervical cancer.

Cervical screening
This is why regular cervical screening continues to play an important role in detecting potentially cancerous cell changes in the cervix (neck of the womb)."

As stated above, in the majority of cases most people's own immune system will deal with HPV but if it doesn't then CIN can develop whilst CIN is not cancer it can develop but it can take up to 10 years.

Given this immunisation is only effective for 6 years and that I hope my DD is not going to be sexually active for a good few more it just doesn't seem worth the risks, obviously a purely personal point of view.

You can find a lot of good information for and against here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/HPV-vaccination/Pages/Why-it-should-be-done.aspx

My DD is having it tomorrow. I didn't hesitate to sign the consent form.

I had the first one two years ago. You are meant to have three- but I reacted badly to the first one so haven't gotten brave enough to have any more. (I almost fainted, and felt ill, plus my arm felt like it had been hit by a bus...)

You can't sleep on that arm or really move it around anywhere without it hurting. But it is apparently worth it...? :confused3 :coffee: :crazy2:

I'm another one who didn't hesitate to sign for my daughter to have it. She also had no ill effects.

My DD is due to have this next week but after doing some online research I've decided against it so won't be signing the forms.

Whilst there are many who have had no side effects there are equally many who have and after reading about what the actual immunisation is meant to do/prevent it didn't seem worth the risk at this stage in her life.

but it doesn't necessarily, taken from the NHS site:

"Preventing cervical cancer
The most common high-risk types of HPV (HPV-16 and HPV-18) are responsible for about 70% of cervical cancer cases.

If your immune system does not deal with a high-risk HPV infection, it can lead to cell changes (dyskaryosis) and abnormal growth of pre-cancerous cells in your cervix. This is also known as cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN).

CIN is not cancer but, if left untreated, it can develop into cancer in some women. This can take up to 10 years.

The HPV vaccine does not protect against all types of HPV, so it is not guaranteed to prevent cervical cancer.

Cervical screening
This is why regular cervical screening continues to play an important role in detecting potentially cancerous cell changes in the cervix (neck of the womb)."

As stated above, in the majority of cases most people's own immune system will deal with HPV but if it doesn't then CIN can develop whilst CIN is not cancer it can develop but it can take up to 10 years.

Given this immunisation is only effective for 6 years and that I hope my DD is not going to be sexually active for a good few more it just doesn't seem worth the risks, obviously a purely personal point of view.

You can find a lot of good information for and against here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/HPV-vaccination/Pages/Why-it-should-be-done.aspx

I'm with you on this one. My DD is only 10 but I've been reading up about it for some time now. I have did not have her immunized aside from a couple of select jabs she had separately - again, carefully researched. This is one that she will certainly not be having.

What is right for one person is not necessarily right for the next so it's not as simple as asking whether it's good or bad. Symptoms and reactions immediately after and in the few years that follow are not sufficient evidence to say whether it is safe or unsafe.

While nobody can make the right choice for you, I would urge you to do some of your own research about it and come to a decision that you and your DD are happy with. If that means delaying the schedulded jab and having it later if you decide to do so, you have every right to do this. But at least make an informed choice :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter