HP & Dealthy Hallows - SPOILERS

Faerie

DIS Veteran
Jo has released the name of the character who got a reprise! Go here to see. And the best part? We're getting an encyclopedia!

I've been saying for years that I want Hogwarts: A History, so I'll take an encyclopedia

That would be cool but if she writes it, I'm sure it will be years down the road.
I was shocked that so many people died, I heard there would only be 2 deaths. Hedwig was a shock, as was Dobby. I love little Dobby.

I liked the way they told Snape's side of the story. It must have pained him to see Harry every day. I knew there was a good side to him.
I feel as though there was a lot left unsaid about Draco. I fully expected him to come to Harry's aide at some point. They did save his life after all.
The only part I am disappointed in is the epilogue, it didn't seem very.....pazzazy enough. And it didn't read well. Maybe I was just tired, I don't know it just lacked something for me.

My first tears fell when Dobby died. I was really upset by that. There were some other deaths in the end that felt anti-climactic because she only listed them rather than showed them. Even though I would have liked more from the ending and the final chapter, I was glad it was included instead of just ending at Hogwarts. Wouldn't you like to have a "the years inbetween" book?

I was wondering, too, about which 2 deaths J.R. had such a hard time with? I actually wrote down who died and came up with around 15 characters that we have met before (some more prominent than others), and had no inkling there would be that many.

The part that made me weepy was when Kreacher led the house elves to the fight in Hogwarts and Dumbledore's acknowledgment of his failings (hindsight). I never actually cried just got choked up. The funeral scene described for Dobby was very moving. Am I the only one who kept expecting Mad Eye to come back since they didn't find his body?

The epilogue left out what the characters themselves grew up into (except Neville). Are they Aurors? Accountants? Salespeople? Also, no love interest for Neville or Luna?? Still questions....

I knew there wouldn't only be 2 - she said 2 bigger characters (although IMHO there were more than that - the 2 bigger could technically be Voldy and Snape)

I cried when I read "A Prince's Tale"

Cried several times. Loved the book. Been discussing and debating for years so it's nice to see how it all turned out.

In reality, what she had said was two characters she'd not planned to die had to and that one got a reprieve. Unfortunately, the press decided what she meant to say was that two people (or two major people) die. That's what they get for assuming (you know what that means). Since most people are not as insane as I am about HP, most people never actually got the words from her.

Glad to know who was reprieved. Wonder who the two that didn't have to die at first were (guessing Lupin and Tonks). Hopefully someone will ask her.

Just a head up to the Potter fans: tomorrow morning, there is a JK interview on the Today Show. I already have the tivo set

I was upset about Lupin and Tonks, and Fred. Tonks really disappointed me especially when Rowling didn't detail her death. I really liked Tonks. :sad2:

Ooh, I'm glad we're talking openly now.

I cried over Dobby. I have always loved Dobby and the scenes of Harry reacting to his death were so moving.

I am SO glad that we got Snape's story. I just knew Dumbledore wasn't wrong to trust him all those years and when he killed Dumbledore I felt there was a lot more to the story.

I thought the epilogue could have told us more, but I think it was meant to be a snapshot just to tell us that life became "normal" for them. One answer I would have liked to know was who raised Teddy?

I loved the Kreacher storyline. To see him change so completely when he was shown some kindness was just lovely.

I love the Deathly Hallows concept. I thought it was pretty brave to bring up such a major new plot develpment when there were so many loose ends to tie up, but it worked extremely well.

I think I will be re-reading it pretty soon - although I may also go back to book one and start over from there, knowing how it will all end.

OK let's see:
Cried over Dobby, started to cry again at page 697.

I too thought Mad eye would come back. He's such a tough old coot.

I thought Mr. and Mrs. Weasley would have raised Teddy since Harry was his godfather but was to young to tend to him.

I thought there would be more about the rebuilding of Hogwarts. Obviously it was rebuilt but who and how was never answered.

Not sure why Lupin, Tonks, and Fred had to die. I was shocked that Crabbe died, but was happy with Draco having a tough time about it. Shows he had a heart after all.

I think Luna and Dean hooked up.

I would like to know who ended up where. Who is working at the school and who is working for the Ministry.

I also wish she had delved a bit more into Neville and his connection since he and Harry share a birthday.

Oh and no details on what happened to the Death Eaters either.

I talked to my brother and he would have liked to have seen Umbridge go to Azkaban and had been told she couldn't decorate it. That would have been funny.

And loved!!! the full on kiss from Hermione and Ron. Can't wait to see that in the movie!

Faerie--my Tivo is set, too!!

I had to put the book down when Bellatrix tortured Hermione, and just walk away and come back to it.

I cried over Dobby, but more over Harry digging the grave. I thought that was so sad!!

I thought the epilogue was great--just because of the end part where little Albus wants to know why everyone is staring, and Ron says, "It's me. I'm really very famous."

My absolute, hands-down favorite line was when Bellatrix tried to get Ginny, and Molly jumped in with "Not my daughter, you B*!*@!" I also liked the part where Dumbledore said to Snape (in the pensieve), "Sometimes I think we sort too soon."

I had to put the book down because I was crying too hard to see the words during the part where Harry pulled out the Ressurection Stone, the people came out, and he asked them if it would hurt to die. I'm crying even trying to type it!

NEE--my question was the same as yours. . .who raised Teddy? I decided it was Tonks' mom, since she wasn't killed.

I can't wait for the encyclopedia, and I can't wait to see the movie for this one!!

Once Harry was named godfather, I felt so relieved. I knew that he was going to make it to the end of the book. Unfortunately, I also began to dread Lupin and Tonk's death at that point. I agree that killing completely off screen was a disapointment, they were such good characters, they deserved some heroics in their deaths.

The first death that got to me was the first, killing Hedwig. I just couldn't believe it! It really set the tone of the book for me, innocents were going to be dying.

Kreacher leading the house elves in attack was fantastic! Go house elves!!! Losing Doby was sad for me, but I think it was what he would have wanted, dying for Harry.

And no one has mentioned George!!! What is Fred going to do?

I was very satisfied with how the tale ended, although like everyone else I still have many questions. I was so afraid that I wouldn't like the ending or that J.K. would do something that would really upset me after so many years of loving the characters and I think I took that with me into the reading of the book. Hedwig's death was such a shock I was scared the whole book about what was going to happen to everyone. I almost couldn't continue when George was killed, and when Harry watched the family over his body. OMG that was painful! Neville's transformation in this book was so satisfying, but I still felt there was more of a connection between him and Harry than was explored.

Molly kicks butt! I always knew she was my kind of gal! That was my favorite line in the book as well. I do want to know what happens with all of Harry's friends and that was a bit disapointing in the epilogue.

Thanks for the links. I'm glad we will get to know more about everyone and the wizarding world. These characters are like family and want to know.

Just to pass along information -- Today has on their website more information post-DH directly from Rowling's mouth. She says what the trio are doing now, more on who is with whom, and other stuff. I'm hoping for still more. I'm very worried about George since he lost his twin. My sisters are twins and they would be totally lost without each other.

I just had a thought the actors in the movies. What a strange thing to know your character is going to die - re Fred, Lupin, Tonks etc. Just an odd, random thought :rolleyes1

I really wish it could have spanned a few more years. There is so much information left unwritten and I could have read a few more books to get to the 19 years later part.

That is one of the things that I sort of didn't like...it went from the end of his youth to 19 years later and then it's just over. Oh well...all good things must come to an end :) and why not go out on top.

Still....the last Harry Potter and the last Lemony Snicket in the span of a year....I can't take it LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter