How would you waitlist?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
First, I'm shocked to find that the first day of our stay at Kidani in October is already booked, and the 7 month window hasn't even opened. Now I know why members walk reservations-part of me wishes I'd done it. Anyways, first thing tomorrow morning, I'll hopefully be able to book the other days. Which of these scenarios would you do? Would you take the remaining days of the vacation and just waitlist for that first night (the flight probably won't get in until around 7:00)? Or would you waitlist the entire vacation so we're not left with one day waiting? Also, since we have an existing reservation and need those existing points for this new reservation, do I have to call? I don't want to cancel OKW (which we have) and possibly be left with no place to stay. I'd like to do it on-line, since I can't call until 9:00, but my understanding is that on-line begins at 8:00.

You'll need to wait until you are seven months out from the second day of your trip if the first day isn't available when you want to book. One night is easier to get on a waitlist than a full week.

I don't know enough about what you want, but I will add these two things:
1) Booking online first thing in the morning (I believe 8:00 am Eastern Time) will get you the best shot at getting the AKV. If you wait to talk to someone with Member Services when they open later, my guess is the first day at 7 months out will be all booked up again like it was today. Unfortunately that would mean you would have to cancel what you have at OKW (which I wouldn't worry with a 1 bedroom standard - as they are availble all month - but I probably wouldn't do that with a studio, as availabilty is sparse and you wouldn't be able to book again if you didn't get AKV).
2) Waitlisting one day is far more likely to come through that waitlisting multiple days. Do know that you can waitlist the entire AKV stay, and tell them to cancel and use the points from your OKW reservation if it ever does come up in it's entirety - but you should be fine with staying at OKW.

1) Booking online first thing in the morning (I believe 8:00 am Eastern Time) will get you the best shot at getting the AKV. If you wait to talk to someone with Member Services when they open later, my guess is the first day at 7 months out will be all booked up again like it was today. Unfortunately that would mean you would have to cancel what you have at OKW (which I wouldn't worry with a 1 bedroom standard - as they are availble all month - but I probably wouldn't do that with a studio, as availabilty is sparse and you wouldn't be able to book again if you didn't get AKV).

Well, it turns out that we got what we wanted, a 2 BR savannah view at Kidani, but we got one of the last available. I really didn't want to call, since others would have an hour advantage. But I had to call. And out of curiosity, I went on-line a few minutes later (AFTER I'd gotten my confirmation) and there was no availability. I must admit that I'm kind of surprised-so many people talk about the remoteness of Kidani and complain about having to take the buses everywhere, I didn't think it would be so hard to get.

October is getting to be like early December for DVC. Everything gets booked early. It must be Food and Wine that draws so many at that time. At some point, they'll probably start increasing point costs at these times to try and control it.

We had to waitlist an OKW stay in October last year. Nothing was available, even SSR once the 7 month window opened. Luckily for us the waitlist came through though.

Well, it turns out that we got what we wanted, a 2 BR savannah view at Kidani, but we got one of the last available. I really didn't want to call, since others would have an hour advantage. But I had to call. And out of curiosity, I went on-line a few minutes later (AFTER I'd gotten my confirmation) and there was no availability. I must admit that I'm kind of surprised-so many people talk about the remoteness of Kidani and complain about having to take the buses everywhere, I didn't think it would be so hard to get.
That's great! I like all the DVC resorts for one reason or another, but Animal Kingdom is my favorite. Have fun on your trip!

Yikes! This thread makes me worried. I'm hoping to book later this month. I have a few options but Kidani is what we are hoping for :( and I wasn't planning on walking, but maybe I should...

I'm glad you got it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!