How well do magicbands fit on small children?

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by sking5844, Aug 23, 2018.

1. sking5844

sking5844 Earning My Ears

I am wondering the best way to keep a magic band on our 4.5 yr old when we are in the parks. Are they tight enough on their own for children that young or is there something we need to buy to make sure it won't come loose? Better yet is there another option I may not have even considered.

We don't really want to have to hold it for him the entire time and keep pulling it in and out of our packs, so just wondering what other folks do.

2. ENJDisneyFan

ENJDisneyFan DIS Veteran

They are adjustable and you can make them really small. My kids never had a problem keeping them on at that age.

The E Collective likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Crystal824

Crystal824 DIS Veteran

My kids have never had a problem. My daughter is 4 now, but she has been wearing a MB since she was two (and didn't really need it but wanted to be like her big sister). You can take the outside part of the MB off for kids, which helps. My daughter did lose a MB at the pool when she was three, but that was the only time our kids have lost one. We replaced it, but it was later found and returned to us.

5. stace1214

stace1214 DIS Veteran

We always peel off the outside and they fit fine. We do like to buy these little bands that go on them to keep them from coming off if the kids play with them. I'm sorry, I can't remember what they are called.

6. cinderalli

cinderalli Earning My Ears

My kids are all tiny like in the 5th percentile tiny LOL and we never have any trouble with their magic bands. Just take the outside off like others have mentioned and make them as tight as needed and you should be good to go!

7. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

The problem I see with the MBs and small children can be not the width but method of closing. My then 7 or 8 y/o nephew was a genius when it came to losing his MBs so I simplified matters by wearing it on a loop on my bag. They generally fell off his wrist.
    Keep in mind you can hack a more secure closing with a small bookbinder or rubberband OR just buy a speciality closure at the different gift stores that sell vanity bands.

8. Chrislovesdisney

Chrislovesdisney Mouseketeer

my dd was 2.5 and in less than the first percentile for weight and she kept it on fine the whole trip (she didn't need to but had to be like her older cousins!).

MinnieMommyof2 likes this.
  9. ciahanna

ciahanna Earning My Ears

I have a small for her age 5 year old, and while it fits I don't trust her not to take it off and drop it. She's special needs, so slightly different situation, but not all kids like stuff on their wrists special or not.
    In past trips I had hers in my purse which was a hassle. This trip we used one of the Mickey head puck holders that I attached to my belt loop and slid in my pocket. It was the perfect solution!

10. FrankieWinthrop

FrankieWinthrop Mouseketeer

We bought a pack of bitbelts years ago and use those on ours and the kids' bands. They don't really come off easily, but this was an $8 well-spent to give a little extra security. Plus, it's fun to pick a color to go with your magic band. You get enough in one pack for a whole family!

11. MNDisneyMommy

MNDisneyMommy Mouseketeer

we got some fantastic magic band puck holders off etsy (they come in all sorts of fun characters and designs) and wore them as lanyards.

When the kid got sick of them we just added theirs to our necks.

Bonus, my 3 year old decided that his monorail magic band holder was just the thing to woo one of the stepsisters at 1900 Park Fare...so cute

12. blackpearl77

blackpearl77 DIS Veteran

We bought bit belts too! They work great - I use it on my band too.

13. GrrArrgh

GrrArrgh Mouseketeer

The CMs know how to peel apart the Magic bands to make them small enough for any kid, so you can ask someone to do it for you (I saw them do it in front of me and I still don't know how they did it). You can probably look it up on YouTube, too.

14. jeepnjudy

jeepnjudy DIS Veteran

My DS5 does not like the bands on his wrist so we went to the puck/lanyard option and he loves wearing that thing!

15. Sarcazm

Sarcazm Mouseketeer

I'd like to chime in only because I just got back from WDW with DS9 and DS4.

So, the only reason the Magic Bands were a problem was because the kids liked to "pick" at them. They'd end up coming off because they kept messing with them. DS4 got used to the Magic Band pretty quickly, and he stopped picking at it. So, he wasn't a problem after the first 1 or 2 days.

However, DS9 kept messing with it. And he kept having to snap it back on (and had trouble doing that). Finally, one morning, we couldn't find it while we were trying to get ready to go to the parks. He didn't seem too upset about it, but then I yelled at him and asked him how the heck is he going to get inside the parks. At that point, he realized he messed up big time. So, we went down to guest services, and got a replacement band at the resort. Thankfully it didn't take too long.

DH told him to quit messing with it. Leave it on your arm and don't take it off. We didn't have any problems after that.

We did eventually find the original Magic Band underneath the mini fridge. So, I felt a little bad because someone probably knocked it off the counter (and it could've been any of us).