How to upgrade our room at Copper Creek this week

macrom75

Earning My Ears
Like many, we are finally getting to head out to WDW next week for what was supposed to be a vacation at this same time last year! A friend of ours actually sold (rented?) DVC points and was able to get us in Copper Creek.

Now for the sob story. :P My health has changed quite a bit in the last year, and I'm now in a scooter, have a sleep machine with a huge oxygen concentrator, plus likely a suitcase just dedicated to my medical supplies. Originally we booked 4 of us in a Deluxe Studio, but now our needs are a bit different and a larger room would be beneficial. I'm not terribly familiar with how DVC and points work so a few questions:

1. What options do we have to try to upgrade our room? We don't mind paying cash or buying points. Obviously pixie dust is always welcome, but we legitimately need space, a handicapped bathroom, etc.

2. Is it better to try to call and upgrade this week or just roll the dice and see what the registration desk employees can do to help?

3. Since these aren't my points, if we get upgraded, does that have any impact on my friend's contract and his available points?

We could use a bit of guidance on how best to proceed. I've looped my friends in so many times to make changes to our reservation that I'm hesitant to ask for more favors from them. They've been so generous to us with my health situation in the first place.

I'm afraid availability would be the biggest hurdle on such short notice - I hope it works out for you!

Your friend still “owns” the reservation and needs to make the call. And, yes, an upgrade would mean that additional points will be pulled from their membership (you cannot upgrade using cash when you have a points based reservation). As the PP said, availability is likely going to be an issue, but best thing is to have your friend check for availability and change the reservation if (a) there is an available room and (b) they have the needed points and are willing to use them for you.

Good luck.

It’s not possible to upgrade with cash. DVC inventory is a separate thing based on points.

Your friend could theoretically upgrade with points. It’s not likely anything will be available and a jump from studio to 1br is significant cost. Your friend should be able to log in and see.

Your friend needs to call about the accessible bathroom. DVC does have accessible rooms, but sounds like you aren’t booked in one. Waiting for the last minute for something like this might not go well.

You could book a cash room at wilderness lodge, but even that might be impossible at short notice.

At this point, you may need to bite the bullet and book a cash room. There is likely no availability at CC.

There may be availability at SSR (Saratoga Springs), Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake Towers (Lake or Theme Park) but all those are one bedrooms which doubles the price of the studio (which you probably knew since you mentioned needing more space). So, call your friend ASAP, let him know the situation and ask if he has points available for you to rent...and what availability there is. You'll likely need to be on the line with him as he scours through availability

Your friend still “owns” the reservation and needs to make the call. And, yes, an upgrade would mean that additional points will be pulled from their membership (you cannot upgrade using cash when you have a points based reservation). As the PP said, availability is likely going to be an issue, but best thing is to have your friend check for availability and change the reservation if (a) there is an available room and (b) they have the needed points and are willing to use them for you.
Just want to reiterate this so you fully understand. You DO NOT own this reservation. Your friend does. You are her guest. You can't call... no one will talk to you about this reservation since it belongs to her.

Moving from to a larger unit than a studio which has only a kitchenette to a 1 bedroom which has a full kitchen and laundry will double the number of points required. Even if your friend has them, you can't assume that she has a plan that lets you use them.

There may very well be no availability, so it would be a moot point but please do not ask to be upgraded on check in. The front desk people have been know to agree, looks like "pixie dust", and then they just pull the extra points required from the members account... not something your friend would appreciate.

If your issue is the sleep machine and other medical equipment, I'm not sure that an accessible studio would even help. Perhaps you can be creative about how you arrange things so as to maximize the studio space. If you don't have to open the sofa bed, there is actually quite a bit of room to use. I rent a larger scooter and have never had any issues storing it in a regular, non-accessible studio.

For what it's worth - we recently did a split stay between Grand Floridian, Poly, and Copper Creek. Hands down the room at Copper Creek was the smallest and also felt the smallest. There is not a good place to stash the cushions from the couch if you need to use the sofa bed (we did) nor is there a good place to stash the large coffee table. There were two adults and a 10-year old and we were cramped in that room. I looked up the room dimensions and it is only 330 sq. ft. In comparison, the rooms at Coronado Springs in the Grand Destino Tower (a moderate resort) are 375 and feel much larger. Perhaps you can ask to have the coffee table removed or you may not need the sofa bed, in which case the room may not feel as small. We were only there for one night and did not bother to make any special requests regarding the furniture/cushions.

Even if your friend has the extra points, I doubt you can get a 1-bedroom anywhere on Disney property at this late date.

DVC rooms can be booked at 11 months out, and people actually do book that far in advance. DVC wasn't designed for last-minute bookings.

As has been mentioned above, there is no simple way to "upgrade" to a larger room. To switch to a 1BR actually requires a complete change of the reservation to a 1BR and can only be made if there is actual 1BR availability at this late date (probably not at CCV). There is no "upgrading" when you show up at the hotel. As noted, even if a 1BR is available at that time and the front desk gives an "upgrade," the member who reserved the studio will be charged the extra points required for the 1BR.

The member who reserved the room possibly has the ability to to switch the reservation to elsewhere where a 1BR might be open, usually some chance at Saratoga Springs, but that would require more points,

Another option can be considered basically a crapshoot for which extreme luck is needed. Your issue is needing more space. There are actually a handful of studios at CCV, referred to as "alternate studios," that are larger than the regular studio and actually have two rooms a bedroom with one queen bed in it and a smaller living room with the pull-out couch, They are not a booking category and their point cost is the same as a regular studio. However, getting one is generally just luck of the draw.What you might try is to ask the member to put in for you through Member Services a non-guaranteed request for the alternate two-room studio, while explaining why you now need it, and then hope it happens.

If having the extra space is essential, one other option (depending on how your traveling party is made up), is to maybe consider booking another studio with cash, and then split your traveling party up, 2 in each room. It's certainly not ideal, but it would give you the space that you need and not affect your friend's points or bother them with more changes. If you can book a DVC room via cash, you can put in a room request to have the two rooms located near each other.

A quick update, and a huge thank you for all of the responses. My friend offered to call the reservation line, and the issue is inventory. CCV has nothing available, and no other resort on property has a bigger unit. At this point we are fine - just going to figure it out and enjoy our time there! It’s a bit of our adult Make-A-Wish trip, and we won’t let anything spoil that.

He did say to see what options the hotel desks may have, but since the reservation is on points, and I’m not the point holder, changing it is likely not possible. I’ll let y’all know this weekend how the checkin goes!

Last edited:
So far it’s been great. I’m disabled and in an ECV, and the CMs have been more than accommodating. We’ve only had one small issue at the Frozen ride, but that was cleared up by a manager (I think). So far we’ve hit all 4 parks in 3 days!
Glad to hear it worked out!
Have a wonderful time :smickey:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter