How To Survive a Hurricane with Pizza and Kurt Russell- An Oct DR *Complete

jerseytinkerbell

DIS Veteran
I'm back!!! Whew, barely. It was a crazy, crazy trip. As you will later find out Hurricane Matthew really threw us for a loop. Cancelled trains, added days, flooded roads, food and wine, limited edition mug madness, this trip had it all and then some.

With me as always is my hubby Rob.

Since we just went to WDW for 2 weeks in March, this week long trip was all about F&W and Disney Springs. We actually never even went to AK or HS the entire trip. Just Epcot and a little bit of time in MK, just because you can't NOT go to MK. I just wanted to relax and soak in the F&W festivities.

Joining us for our first few days was my SIL and her fiance, who were there for 4 1/2 days and looking to fit in as much as possible.

We stayed at SSR for the majority of our stay with two days at OKW added onto the end of the trip due to travel issues.

We were there to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary which passed just a few days before we arrived, our 11 year dating anniversary which happened while we were there and my graduation from college with my AA in General Studies. So much wonderful stuff to celebrate!

This trip we were taking the train and not driving for a change. Or are we...

We still have our AP and our TiW card in play and with the new upgrade for the next year to the AP discounts, this was an awesome time to use it!

So, without further ado, Day 1!

Ooooh.....I'm the first to join in! Can't wait to hear all about it!

I've been keeping an eye out for your newest trip report. Can't wait to hear all about. I'm already intrigued by the title.

I remember following along on instagram (along with offering my couch if you wanted to come south) Hurricane Matthew was a pain! I'm glad it missed Orlando but it ended up hitting St Augustine (where my mother lives) bad and then the Carolinas. Crazy weekend!

Day 1 of our trip was all train travel.

We arrived at the Wilmington train station, also known as the Joe Biden Station, because... Delaware. This is only about 20 minutes from our house and we left roughly 90 minutes early, but we hit really bad traffic on the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which stressed me out to no end, but we made it in plenty of time. The train arrived on time with no issues.

We tried to figure out the best course of action for food on this train ride before we left. Our train had no dining car, only a club car with bags of chips and microwavable pizza (no thank you) and we would be on the train from roughly 1:00pm-10:30am the next day. In the end we had no good ideas and Rob ate a huge breakfast sandwich before we left and grabbed some snacks. I am nervous on travel days, so I ate nothing before we left and then once we were safely ensconced in our roomette I stuffed my face for the remainder of the evening on Kind bars, Pringles, Wawa chocolate chip cookies, a Wawa soft pretzel and Combos. Not classy, not healthy (other than the Kind bars), but I didn't starve, so it was a win.

I signed up for the Amtrak credit card many months before our trip and got enough bonus points and points from purchases to pay for our round trip roomette tickets other than about $250 worth of points that I had to buy. Not too shabby considering that was about $1000 round trip had we paid only cash. Win!

I took Amtrak in coach from Wilmington to Orlando with my dad a few years ago and it was literally a nightmare, so I was hoping the roomette would be a much better experience and it was! I don't know how clean everything was, but nothing was outright nasty or anything, but that would be my only issue. I was comfy and there was no stress of driving and worrying about the weather, which was pretty rainy and dreary along the east coast that day. Here's just a few pics from our roomette. I won't go into too much detail about the room, but if you have any questions about it please feel free to ask!

The corridor leading to the roomettes.

Rob just hanging out playing video games on his Vita, watching the sights go by.

And here he is visiting me on my top bunk.

Here I am looking down from the top bunk. Notice my stylish Minnie Mouse socks.

The view from my top bunk at dusk as we make our way through Virginia.

And since I wanted to reread the book before the movie came out, what better time to read Girl on the Train again!

We were both able to sleep pretty well on the train. Rob a little better than me since I kept fearing I would fall off the top bunk and it kept jarring me awake. The bathroom situation was... awkward since it was in the room with us and the communal toilets are all in the coach cars many many cars down from where we were, but I think next time we will just make the journey to those. We felt like we had plenty of space and we felt way more refreshed mentally upon arrival than we do when we drive. We were feeling pretty good about our train experience and were thinking this would be our newfound method of travel down here from now on.

At the end of our train trip we had some back and forth texts with the driver from our car service we scheduled a few days prior to confirm our arrival time. We were set to arrive on time, maybe even a little early, so all was well. Then we get off the train with all our bags and they are not there. Of course. It's hot. I'm in sweatpants. I feel like a big ball of gross. I've been on a train for 21 hours. I am not playing games right now. So, I call the car service and I get some nonsense about a new driver because the other driver was having car problems. I ordered the car service to avoid having to wait for a taxi or Uber. Wouldn't you know that everyone else who got a taxi or an Uber left before us. Rob was pretty mad. Our car service got there about 25 minutes after we arrived. I wasn't happy about it, but our driver was nice and we were on our way, so I let it go.

Within about 30 minutes we were at SSR. Hooray! But, our room was not ready, but they promised us an awesome room close to the path to the Springs, so what can you do. I'll take the extra wait. We left our bags with bell services and walked over to the Springs. We felt kinda gross and we were hungry, but we really wanted to wait for the room to be ready and eat our hungers away at F&W and didn't want to eat a big meal now. We had no clue if our room would be ready soon, or if it would take until 3pm. It was about noon at this point, so we decided to go see a movie and get some popcorn and a drink. We love the movies here, so why not! We bought our tickets and waited at the bar for the movie to get closer to the start time. No better place to kill time than MacGuffins.

Rob ordered a Jai Alai beer and I ordered an Angry Orchard.

We were almost finished our drinks when I got the text that our room was ready. I really wanted to see the movie, but I wanted to get to the room, so we got a refund on our tickets and walked back to SSR. Bell services took us right over to our room along with our bags and our room was awesome! And bell services was awesome too. Super friendly guy.

We had a room about as close to the end of the walking path as you can get on the first floor of the Congress Park section. All that was available was a one bedroom villa leading up to our trip and as it turned out that was a very good thing since we had tons of space and the kitchen and the tub and most importantly the washer and dryer. Worth the extra DVC points as it turned out. Some pics from around the room.

Our view.

And here is our room from outside. The two sets of windows on the bottom left with the tree covering us.

We got unpacked, and got showers and we were feeling like a million bucks and ready to tackle this Food and Wine Festival! Food pics coming up!

We made it to Epcot around 3pm and we were ready to eat!

We went right back to the countries and skipped the rides for the time being. Hawai'i was the first thing we saw, so Hawai'i it is!

We both got the Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise.

This has been a favorite for us at past F&W and this time was no exception. The pork was super tender and the pineapple chutney combined with the spicy mayo makes this a winner.

We both got the Florida Orange Groves Sparkling Pineapple Wine as well.

Cheers to vacation!

Neither of us really cared for this wine at all. I can't put my finger on what it was, but it was just kinda gross.

Rob also went over and grabbed us food and drink from Patagonia.

We both got the Beef Empanada.

This was excellent! I just wish it had a sauce you could dip it in. It would ramp this up to the next level with a sauce. Or even just sour cream.

We both got the Verum Pinot Noir, Rio Negro as well.

This was a really nice, smooth red. I enjoyed it.

We also stopped and bought a map to do Remy's Hide and Squeak.

Remy was with different food throughout WS which you had to find and match with the corresponding stickers to win a pin. We had so much fun doing the Easter Egg hunt in March, so we were excited for this as well.

Next we made our way around to Brazil.

Here Rob got the Escondidinho de Carne, or layered meat pie with mashed yucca.

He liked it. I had a bite and thought it was just okay. I didn't want a whole one for myself.

Rob also got the Kaiser Brewery Xingu Black Beer.

Not my kinda thing at all, but he enjoyed it.

Next was one of my favorite booths, Hops and Barley.

And there's Remy with some carrots on the booth.

Rob got the Smoked Beef Brisket and Pimento Cheese served on Griddled Garlic Toast.

He was raving about this! I love brisket, but was unsure of the cheese they paired with it, but his raves talked me into trying it another time.

He also got the Anchor Brewing Liberty Ale.

He liked this and had it a few other times throughout the trip.

I was super excited to get the New England Lobster Roll!

YUM!!! So much yummy jumbo chunks of lobster meat. Love! There was a touch too much of the herbed mayo on there for my taste, but it was still awesome.

I also got the Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing.

I LOVE carrot cake and this one was very good. I liked that it was nice and warm with the icing dripping right off of it. Delicious!

At this point, I was only drinking water. Tons of water. I was super overheated and it was giving me a headache. I bad one, which was kind of a drag, but I wasn't going to let it stop my fun. It was nice to sit in the shaded seating they have here at Hops & Barley which helped a bit.

Then Rob made a stop at Mexico for a Jalapeno Margarita on the rocks.

I had a sip and it was pretty tasty. He liked it, but wanted more of a kick from the jalapeno.

Then it was time for our Soarin' FP! I was so excited to ride the new version for the first time. I really enjoyed the new one, but I will definitely miss the old one. I wish you could do both.

We had a weird thing happen when we got off the ride. We were headed out and planned to get in line for Living with the Land because I needed to be out of the heat for a bit, we were almost out of the Soarin' area when they made everyone backtrack and walk out of an entrance area and through a whole backstage area outside.

It was so weird! Even the CMs didn't know what was happening and would lead us around this building and around another building and through parking areas until we finally came back into the park by the Figment ride.

It was kinda cool! We walk back to The Land and get all the way inside again only to discover that Living with the Land is closed. So is Soarin'. Some sort of power failure. Well thank goodness we got on Soarin' when we did!

I was feeling really hot and kinda yuck, so a float sounded like the cure to all my ails. This calls for a stop at Desserts & Champagne.

I decided to try the Sprecher Hard Cherry Cola Float.

This was so good and it really hit the spot. I felt so much better.

It was around 6pm at this point and we met up with my SIL and her fiance as they were just arriving after spending the earlier part of the day at another park. They arrived the day before us and had already spent some time in a few parks. Now the 4 of us were ready for more F&W fun to finish out the night.

Now the four of us went back to WS to hit up some more booths.

Epcot was all prepared for The Chew tapings happening a few days from now.

Then it was on to Canada, which was of course packed!

All four of us got the "Le Cellier" Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce.

This was of course fabulous and the inside was cooked perfectly. For me anyway.

Then I stopped in Ireland.

I got the Warm Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream Liqueur Custard.

This is always one of my favorites! I love this! And it's one of the cheapest items at the festival. It is such an awesome dessert. Swoon.

As we made our way over to the Americas section David Cook was part way into his second set of the night. I really wanted to see him, but no one else cared. I made Rob sit with me for a bit so I could hear a few songs while the others went on without us.

He was really good. I wish I had seen the whole set. And believe it or not, this was all we saw of Eat to the Beat while we were here. I had big plans to see Wilson Philips and Blues Traveler and Plain White T's and it all fell through. Such a bummer.

We met back up with the others around Mexico and we all went to Craft Beer together which is in the old Odyssey building. Here is what it looks like during the day.

It is nice and spacious and cool on the inside with plenty of tables.

Everyone else got a flight.

I went with just one beer and got the Two Henrys Blueberry Vanilla American Wheat Ale.

This smelled AMAZING! I wish there was Smell-O-Vision so you guys could smell this beer. It was very enjoyable.

We hung out here for a bit and had a good time.

I was BEAT! Like seriously beat. My SIL and her fiance stayed behind for Illuminations, but Rob and I left for the evening. We hit up Spaceship Earth on our way out, which is always enjoyable, especially with no line.

All and all our first day was a success. Our first day of F&W, complete. Thanks Epcot!

But wait, the night isn't over yet. More food to come!

Hi Jeri! I think day one and success is a bit of an understatement :-) I can't believe how much F&W you got in and really can't believe there are 6 more days to come. Hope surviving the Hurricane wasn't too bad. And really curious how Kurt Russell fits into the mix!!!!!! Maybe you found a computer wearing tennis shows? :confused3

I was just thinking, I hope Jeri has started her DR! I followed along on insta and kept thinking that I couldn't wait for the report. YAY!

Everything from F&W looks so amazing...especially that steak from Canada and the cake from Ireland. This is the first year since 2010 that we aren't making it down for F&W and I'm super sad.

Looking forward to more reviews!!!

Joining in, I loved the Find Remy as well, you sure did hit quite a few booths, no wonder you were beat! I have never traveled on a train so interesting to see, we arrived on 10/9 after Hurricane Matthew, so sorry you had a rough time getting home. I followed you on instagram as well. It was so busy when we were there we only did a few booths. Looking forward to your reviews.

Enjoying your report! That Chocolate Irish Cream cake looks delish!!!

We took Amtrak for the first time this summer. It was only a 3 hour trip, but we enjoyed!

Now the four of us went back to WS to hit up some more booths.

Epcot was all prepared for The Chew tapings happening a few days from now.

Then it was on to Canada, which was of course packed!

All four of us got the "Le Cellier" Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce.

This was of course fabulous and the inside was cooked perfectly. For me anyway.

Then I stopped in Ireland.

I got the Warm Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream Liqueur Custard.

This is always one of my favorites! I love this! And it's one of the cheapest items at the festival. It is such an awesome dessert. Swoon.

As we made our way over to the Americas section David Cook was part way into his second set of the night. I really wanted to see him, but no one else cared. I made Rob sit with me for a bit so I could hear a few songs while the others went on without us.

He was really good. I wish I had seen the whole set. And believe it or not, this was all we saw of Eat to the Beat while we were here. I had big plans to see Wilson Philips and Blues Traveler and Plain White T's and it all fell through. Such a bummer.

We met back up with the others around Mexico and we all went to Craft Beer together which is in the old Odyssey building. Here is what it looks like during the day.

It is nice and spacious and cool on the inside with plenty of tables.

Everyone else got a flight.

I went with just one beer and got the Two Henrys Blueberry Vanilla American Wheat Ale.

This smelled AMAZING! I wish there was Smell-O-Vision so you guys could smell this beer. It was very enjoyable.

We hung out here for a bit and had a good time.

I was BEAT! Like seriously beat. My SIL and her fiance stayed behind for Illuminations, but Rob and I left for the evening. We hit up Spaceship Earth on our way out, which is always enjoyable, especially with no line.

All and all our first day was a success. Our first day of F&W, complete. Thanks Epcot!

But wait, the night isn't over yet. More food to come!

I am so jealous! I love David Cook!

I'm here!! So excited to finally read all of the juicy details of your trip! Your Hawaii pork slider had me drooling.

I was hoping you would get started soon! It was crazy following the hurricane drama on your Insta. I'm so curious to see what that was really like!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!