How to spend your tax rebate

SpaceRangerEric

Bustin' Zurg since 2006
With all the talk of us getting a tax rebate in order to stimulate the economy, I would like to offer a suggestion. In order to get the maximum benefit, we should spend that money on American made goods and services. Disney is a great place to spend that money.
Spend a little extra, or give a little bigger tip, while at Disney to keep the money moving in the domestic economy.
If you are going to buy goods, try to buy American made products to support your fellow American workers.

Disclaimer: I am not Bob Iger trying to get you to spend more to help our bottom line, but I am a stockholder.

I wonder how many will spend their rebates. . . we were planning on saving it for rougher times ahead. . . well actually we are debating between that and a trip to Disney since we weren't planning on any this year. . . but I am honestly curious how many will do that. For us whether we spend it or save it will have to do with how we have met our saving goals before I finish school.

The tax rebate being discussed so far (~$1600 or less) is not really enough to fund a whole WDW vacation.

I get what you're saying about tipping better, though. We've been making a point of giving slightly better tips, esp. when warranted, because as bad as the economy is getting for DH and I, it's got to be much worse for folks who are making less money than us.

Have you tried finding "Made in the USA" items lately? It's downright impossible to find anything that is completely manufactured here.

One tip for those folks looking for a little extra money: If you usually get a tax refund, consider doing the exemptions worksheet on the back of your W2 at work. You won't get as much of a tax refund next year, but you will get the extra money each month in your paycheck. With rising inflation, some folks are going to need that money NOW more than getting it in the future.

if this rebate comes then it will be $x amount less that we have to put aside from DH's paychecks to fund our Disney vacation. So I guess we would be spending it but in place of a different $1600....

The tax rebate being discussed so far (~$1600 or less) is not really enough to fund a whole WDW vacation.

Not if you watch the Disney commercial "$1600 for the whole week, we can afford that".:rotfl:

I agree it is tougher to find Made in US products. That is a result of greedy companies and short sighted consumers. With the internet, it is still possible to find nearly any type of product still Made in the US.

I am not a Michael Moore type liberal here. Actually, I am a free-trader and about as far right as you can get. But if we are going to avoid a recession, let's take advantage of this opportunity to do the right thing. IMHO.

The impression I got from the other thread was that us budget boarders, by and large, aren't planning on spending our returns. Might want to go post on the community board:thumbsup2

Check your sovenirs, tshirts, etc. They were more than likely NOT made in the USA. Going to Disney--good idea. Fly American carriers. Rent american cars. Tipping bigger won't keep the money in the American economy if it is ultimately going to be used for foreign made goods is it?

Well, if a check shows up in my mailbox anytime soon it's already ear-marked to pay my DCL deposit -- gosh, I feel so patriotic! :teeth:

if I get one, mine will go into our "buy a vacation house someday" down payment fund.

I asked DH last night if that made us un-American.

He said he already has a couple of employees who were wondering if any banks were giving Tax Rebate Check Anticipation loans on the proposed plan.

:laughing:

The impression I got from the other thread was that us budget boarders, by and large, aren't planning on spending our returns. Might want to go post on the community board:thumbsup2

I thought that meant it is discussions on how we budget for the trip. If I am mistaken than I am sorry.

Belle1962, Every time we make a transaction in our economy, it will benefit the economy. Even buying foreign goods helps our service sector. Buying American goods helps both our service and manufacturing sectors. I know it is a struggle, but we as consumers are responsible to search for the goods made domestically, if we want to change the way things are going.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

They were talking last night on a show about past rebates. They said those at the higher income levels save it and those at the lower income levels spend it. That may be why they have a cap on who gets it.

Not if you watch the Disney commercial "$1600 for the whole week, we can afford that".:rotfl:

:lmao: Don't you just love those commercials???? They don't tell you it's for off season and value resorts, etc. My DH and I just look at each other when those commercials come on and laugh.

I was listening to all this on t.v. last night and I thought it didnt go through yet, and they were going to decide within the next 30 days? Did I hear wrong?

Any idea when the checks will go out?

I plan to be one of three things with the check.

A. Be a responsible adult - use it towards my son's tuition that way I'll be a month ahead or use it toward a SAT prep class next fall.

B. Have fun - use it toward our DL/DCL/WDW trip next summer.:dance3:

B. Have fun - use it toward our DL/DCL/WDW trip next summer.:dance3:

C. Be a responsible adult- Save it :rolleyes:

Since I already have a plan for paying my current planned vacation. If I get this rebate I will probably save it for another vacation.

It'll go toward paying down debt - or it'll go towards paying budget items (food, gas etc.) and then the money I had budgeted for those will go to paying the debt LOL either way it'll help the economy. (which I don't buy into the sky is falling thing but it's a hypothetical question at this point anyhow right? If I did believe the economy was as bad as the media said I certainly wouldn't be on a Disney site planning vacations :lmao: )

$1600 would pay off an entire loan for us and move us down the snowball list :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter