How To Search / Subscribe Threads! The Easy Way.

GrillMouster

Mouster of the Grill
I hope I don't offend anyone, but after years of lurking on the board, and only months of actively participating, I've finally gathered the courage to express something that bugs me a little, not only the disboards, but most boards in general.

Scenario:
Someone starts a thread "Anyone Have a Poo That Actually Looks Like Pooh?" and includes a picture. Thirty people reply, quoting the original message, picture and all. Thirty more people reply "I don't have anything to contribuute, I'm subscribing!".

Please...when replying to a post that includes an image, don't re-post the image unless it's absolutely necessary for your own message.
Please...if the only reason you're replying is to subscribe to the thread, there's a better way to do it. Click on the link "Thread Tools" that appears in the bar just above the top post on the page (you should be signed in). From the drop-down menu select "Subscribe to this thread".

If we could get everyone to do this, maybe the pages would load a little faster and maybe we wouldn't have to go through several pages just to read a few posts. Seriously, has anyone tried reading the thread titled "Official DIS Hidden Mickey FAQ Thread - With Pictures!!!"? I think the same three pictures repeat a hundred times each over 48 pages.

I don't mean this as a personal slight against anyone. I think some people innocently don't think about this stuff. I just had to get that off my chest.

As you were.

As you were - you got a chuckle out of me on that one. :laughing: I agree with you! It would be nice if everyone thought about the picture thing, and if they knew how to subscribe without posting. I didn't know till someone mentioned it on a thread, and I was glad to hear about it. ;) Hopefully everyone will read this and the problem will be solved, lol.

I've got a little graphic to help explain this...

SUBBING.gif

And I'll be moving this to the new Theme Park Community Board where most of the Picture Threads are.

I've changed the title a bit for clarity.

Thanks!

Knox

Woo Hoo! Thank you so much for posting this! And might I add one thing, I don't think people know how the search engine works, yes, it actually works! While, it's not the best, it does work!

Go up to the top "Search" and click on it
Click on "Advanced Search"
type in the words that you are looking for
I like to search by "Thread Start Date" and not "Relevancy" so change that if you would like otherwise, you may be getting responses from 2005.

Knox.....could you do a graphic of that as well? I think a graphic would explain it better than I can.

Go up to the top "Search" and click on it

Search-1.gif

When it opens, click on "Advanced Search"

Search-2.gif

Type in the words that you are looking for or choose Advanced Search again to narrow your search by forum..

search-3.gif

You mean like that ? :)

Be still my beating heart! You are wonderful! Thanks!

In THIS forum that makes a LOT of sense.. :) We'll stickey it for a while and see how it goes!

Knox

I agree to. THis is getting ridicules I also HATE the

BUMPS

Subbing

and all that

Some of My favorite threads have had to start up again because of that.

On the topic of 'quoting', why do some posters (some do it always) quote the original post (the starting one) of a thread when they are the first poster to reply? :confused3 Like we will be confused as to which post (there is only one at that point) they are responding to? :laughing: :confused3

I think that one problem with keeping this a sticky is that not a whole lot of people take the time to read the stickies. I don't know how many people we can get to stuck to the top of the board.

I was just wondering if there is a feature that lists the threads that you have personally responded too? If you know what I mean?

PrincessKara - after you post, you can subscribe to the thread you posted on. Below "submit reply" you will see something that says Thread Subscription, and then Notification Type. You can choose how you want to be notified of new posts, if at all. At the top of the page click on "Quick Links" and then "Subscribed Threads" for a list of all threads you have subscribed to.

Thanks! There are a bunch of threads I posted on that i wanted to see responses to but oh well. maybe i'll find them again some day. from now on I'll just subscribe to everything lol! :)

This info needs to be seen by everyone.
I am new to this board and I see alot of people who have been part of this site for a long time violating these very recommendations. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter