How to reserve first DVC trip

JLitfin

love Disney
I will be closing on our resale very soon and am planning our first trip to the world on DVC pts.
:woohoo: :yay: :woohoo: :yay:

Here's my question: I am planning our first trip for June, 2008. I know I still have a little bit of time since I can't reserve until July, but I'm one who really plans ahead, drives my husband crazy. :drive: :crazy: Ok, here I go, I'll have 101 pts banked from '06 and will receive 154 pts Sept, '07. We're talking about doing BCV for 3 nights and VB for 3 nights. I can reserve BCV at 11 months out and VB at 7 months out. I've read that it's a good idea to book at your home resort for the entire stay and go back at 7 months and change your reservation with the non-home resort. I'll have enough pts when I combine the two resorts for my reservation but am short if I reserve the whole reservation at my home resort. If I reserve all nights at BCV will they take the remaining needed pts from '08 even if I won't need the '08 pts when I replace 3 nights with VB. I would rather not borrow '08 pts. Should I reserve all nights except 1 at BCV and then replace 2 nights and add 1 night when I reserve VB? Or should I reserve 3 nights at BCV and then wait till 7 months and reserve 3 nights at VB? How hard is it to reserve BCV and VB for June? Should I reserve day by day or would I be ok reserving all 3 nights at once? Does MS take your pts when you make your reservation?

Hopefully I explained this clearly, I've been trying to figure everything out on my own and haven't come up with the right answer. Thanks to anyone who can help.

All of your points will be available for stays between September 1/ '07 and August 31,'08. Since you will be going in your 2007 use year, you will have access to the banked 2006 points, all of the 2007 points and you can borrow any 2008 points you need to complete the ressie. If nearly 3 years of points isn't enough for the ressie, you maybe need to add on.

Don't borrow the '08 points unless you can use them in the '07 use year, because they will not be able to be put back into '08. When you borrow them, they become '07 points.

Yes, the points are taken from the account when the reservation is made. That's why you don't want to borrow unless you have to. I'm not sure you need to make day by day ressies at the 7 month window unless you are booking directly at BCV. Then it might be necessary.

Should I reserve 5 nights at BCV at 11 months and at the 7 month window cancel 2 of those nights and reserve 3 nights at VB for a total of 6 nights. That way if I can't get VB I'll still have 5 nights at BCV. Should I do day by day for BCV at the 11 month window?

Thanks.

Should I reserve 5 nights at BCV at 11 months and at the 7 month window cancel 2 of those nights and reserve 3 nights at VB for a total of 6 nights. That way if I can't get VB I'll still have 5 nights at BCV. Should I do day by day for BCV at the 11 month window?

Thanks.

As long as you don't have to borrow points to do that, yes. Not sure about the day by day at BCV at that time of year, but it can't hurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter