How to make $2000 in 6 months?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
If I am going to take the kids in September, I need to come up with $2000. But how do I do that? I'm a WAHM mother (columnist for two papers), and I homeschool our two special needs children. So, taking a part time job out of the home is not an option.

I should be able to get the following:
- Our spring yard & lemonade sale will probably earn us $250
- Ask for Disney gift cards for my birthday (this spring) will probably get me $150
- Redeeming PC Points from our credit card between now and then will probably get me $150
- Redeeming pop cans/bottles etc... will maybe earn us $25

Other tips, ideas? We're in Canada.

Since the things you mention are things you have little control over, it might be worth undershooting those a little in case the reality doesn't meet your expectation.

Let's say something comes in through all those avenues and you're left with $1500 to raise. (if you raise more, you are just that much closer to goal!)

That's about 250 per month. Or roughly $63 per week.

Can you come up with something that would allow you to hit a goal like that?

A few things that came to mind:
child care
Proofreading/editing services
Tutoring
Freelance job sites like Fiverr or Upwork (not sure how that works with you being in Canada but it's worth looking into)
Any other skills you have that could be monetized?

Are you able to shave a few dollars off of some bills?
Cable, internet, garbage collection, cell bill service, etc.

I recently had my garbage/recycling collection bill lowered. A new company was offering better rates. I called my current service, explained that I have been a good customer for years and asked for a lower rate. They actually beat the competitor price.

My cell bill was lowered recently too. I didn't realize that my husbands employment offered a discount. They never really advertise the discount, but once I asked and provided proof, my bill went down.

Not sure if you do this but..Do you eat out very often, get your nails done, or professional hairstyling/coloring, things like that?
I find that money can be saved by cutting out some of these extras.

Good luck and hope you reach your goal!

Do you follow the Disney Gift Cards thread? There are lots of ways to save on gift cards and I have "made" or "saved" around $600 since following the thread in September.

I recently had my garbage/recycling collection bill lowered. A new company was offering better rates. I called my current service, explained that I have been a good customer for years and asked for a lower rate. They actually beat the competitor price.

My cell bill was lowered recently too. I didn't realize that my husbands employment offered a discount. They never really advertise the discount, but once I asked and provided proof, my bill went down.

Not sure if you do this but..Do you eat out very often, get your nails done, or professional hairstyling/coloring, things like that?

I had to come up with $2000 real quick to pay for our 2018 trip (as it was originally planned for 2019 and I hadn't saved it all yet). I cut everything - cleaning person, nearly all discretionary spending, etc. The other thing I did was to call my insurance company. They repriced our auto insurance and that will save us $2000 annually. So not quite 2k in six months but a good chunk of the change.

Since the things you mention are things you have little control over, it might be worth undershooting those a little in case the reality doesn't meet your expectation.

Let's say something comes in through all those avenues and you're left with $1500 to raise. (if you raise more, you are just that much closer to goal!)

That's about 250 per month. Or roughly $63 per week.

Can you come up with something that would allow you to hit a goal like that?

A few things that came to mind:
child care
Proofreading/editing services
Tutoring
Freelance job sites like Fiverr or Upwork (not sure how that works with you being in Canada but it's worth looking into)
Any other skills you have that could be monetized?

I would love to do freelance work (I do some now for my papers, but it's really hard to know how much I'll make, so I didn't include any of that), but haven't been sure how to go about it. I'll have to look more into that. I also used to do portrait photography, so I could try and get that up and going again.

No, all our bills are as low as they can get, we're pretty careful with stuff like that. Definitely could cut back on eating out a bit.

Invest $8000 in stocks.

This is funny :) That would require us to have $8000 to invest, lol.

I had to come up with $2000 real quick to pay for our 2018 trip (as it was originally planned for 2019 and I hadn't saved it all yet). I cut everything - cleaning person, nearly all discretionary spending, etc. The other thing I did was to call my insurance company. They repriced our auto insurance and that will save us $2000 annually. So not quite 2k in six months but a good chunk of the change.

Wow! You were way over paying! That is a huge savings for you! A tip, if you ever feel you're paying too much again, have them do a reassessment of the replacement cost on your house. The values go up automatically every year, and if you don't pay attention, they will increase to an amount quite a bit higher than the actual replacement cost of your home, which of course increases what you pay. I'm actually a former insurance agent, so thankfully for us, we have the cheapest insurance possible!

Do you follow the Disney Gift Cards thread? There are lots of ways to save on gift cards and I have "made" or "saved" around $600 since following the thread in September.

No, I didn't think we could do any of those tricks in Canada?

I've earned $63 on Ibotta since October, and that's with me barely trying. I'm sure if you could actually sit down with the flyers, coupon, and Ibotta app you could come up with some great deals to save money.

Have you looked at all the options to save on the trip? Staying offsite, skipping park hoppers, etc?

I've earned $63 on Ibotta since October, and that's with me barely trying. I'm sure if you could actually sit down with the flyers, coupon, and Ibotta app you could come up with some great deals to save money.

Is that available in Canada?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter