How to interact with Rapunzel and Tiana at dinner

Rebecca Pocahontas

Mouseketeer
I am not good at meeting Disney characters at the parks or on the cruise ship because I don't know what to say to them. I've actually never even "met" any character at the parks because I am an introvert and just a bit weirdly nervous of the whole situation.

However on the Magic & Wonder, Rapunzel & Tiana come around to our tables at dinner in their respective restaurants so I don't really have a choice. I know I have a choice, if I don't want to talk to them then I don't. The thing is is that I actually do want to talk to them, I just have no idea what to say. So I need some advice as to what everyone else does.

I've only been to Tiana's Place on the Wonder, but I am going on the Magic in October. The first time at Tiana's I asked for a picture and that wasn't too bad of an interaction for me, but then the next time she just kind of stopped at our table, asked how we were doing and then left. My brain basically just freezes and I don't know what to say.

I would love to have some kind of light conversation/interaction with the princesses, but I have absolute no clue what to say or do. Any advice would be great!

Say you like their movies...or ask them how it is, now that they're out of their tower....or how Tiana's new restaurant business is working out for her...just something from the movies. We asked Flynn Rider to give us the "smolder" when he came to our table - hilarious!

In my experience if there are kids at your table the adults will get ignored by the princesses. The Thugs (or whatever they are at RRT) tried the kids first but they were scared so then they interacted with an adult. I just joked a little with them and took a selfie. At dinner the interactions go super quick.

I usually ask a question related to their movies like "Where's Pasquale?" to Rapunzel--they always come up with cute answers :)

Tell her you like her dress/hair/restaurant. Ask what her favorite dish is (or tell her you liked what you ate). Every woman likes compliments.

You sound like my son. He is absolutely PETRIFIED of face characters, especially princesses. He's 11, and he will still run the other way if he sees a princess coming.

I am a HUGE introvert, but somehow I turn into an extrovert when it comes to Disney characters. I had a super long conversation with Chip and Dale once and needed no "translator." We "talked" about Disneyland Paris (this happened in Hollywood Studios). Even the handler was impressed with me, lol. It's a stupid talent to have.

I told Rapunzel we were really happy to celebrate her birthday with her and that I liked her long hair. We also asked Flynn to show our boys the "smolder" and that was great.

Agree with the responses here - part of the fun is staying in character and talking to them about things you've seen their characters do. One of my personal highlights was when we did a Star Wars day at Hollywood Studios a few years back and I simply "booed" (nothing loud, just enough for them to hear) at a couple of stormtroopers as they marched past. They came up to me and demanded I explain myself, and I explained how I support the rebellion. They threatened to arrest me for being rebel scum, which was awesome.

I just exchange polite greetings with the face characters, sometimes take a photo, and then they move on. I'm so aware of them being actors that it would feel strange to me to do anything else.

Tiana is probably the easiest because she’s the “restaurant owner” and when she visits the table that’s what she acts like. You can just say the same kind of things you would in a regular restaurant if the manager came over to check on your table.

The key is to say something that aligns with their character. Asking Belle what her favorite shore excursion in Cozumel will get you nothing. Asking her what book she's read most recently will get a thematically correct response. I agree with the previous posters that they focus on the kids, but they will react to the adults if the adults 'play the game'. My wife wanted our picture with Captain Jack Sparrow at the end of pirate night. He stood there with his arms out but fairly non-animated because it was just two adults. However, right after the picture, I said, "Excuse me Captain, but perhaps you could settle an argument I've been having with my wife. Is there such a thing as too much rum?" He looked at me, then looked at my wife and did a big fancy hand/arm waving motion from the movie, leaned in close to her, and said, "No, luv." The photographer saw the extra interaction and got a great shot of it, and it made for a much more fun character interaction than just a picture standing with Jack Sparrow.

If you get nervous and don’t know much about their stories, just ask them why they like visiting the Disney (name of ship). They will provide you with an explanation about what they have seen and done on the ship that day. Or ask them about their Prince or family. This often prompts fairly funny and elaborate stories! Just remember, they want to have fun with you so there is no need to feel nervous! Seeing character/guest interactions is one of the things I love about being a CM :)

Ask Flynn Ryder to give you his smolder look. That one's fun. In general, I always feel like I never know what to say to them, either.

I think I went through the same thing when we first started going to the parks
It took a couple of trips (and these forums) to get me to interact with the characters.
Now I take great delight in embarrassing my kids in talking with the characters.

You are really only limited by your imagination.
In my experience the characters love it when adults at least try it.
Just come up with something quick to say and don't feel embarrassed about it.
Write it down in advance too just in case you draw a blank in the moment

These come from years of interactions with Disney Characters:

On the Wonder:
We told Tiana we loved her beignets. She gushed over us enjoying her food
My son told Louis he played the trumpet too and wanted to jam. He held up his trumpet and mimicked playing.

I told Captain Hook we needed to hurry so "Tick tock, tick tock" (one of the best responses ever)

At 1900 Park Fair WDW:
Anastasia fell in love with my DS17
Drisella wanted to know how much was in his bank account.
Lady Tremane talked dowry and arranging the marriage. He turned three shades of red bordering on purple.
Prince Charming warned us in advance so I was well prepared for that one. (Probably my favorite character interaction ever)

At Trattoria al Forno at WDW
Flynn tried the smolder on my DD15 and DD8 to hilarious results. Needless to say it didn't work, haha.
Asked Rapunzel where Maximus was. On Patrol or something like that
Eric warned us to hide our dinglehoppers. Of course my DD offered Ariel one of hers.

Other interactions over the years:

I asked Boba Fett (Disney Star Wars Weekend at WDW years ago) if he wanted to claim the bounty on my son (not enough credits) ,
Alice and the Hatter asked us why our daughter had a tail (toddler harness with leash),
Ariel loved my daughter's short pig tails... twirled them and called them fishy tales
Donald Duck #1 always gets a thumbs up
Goofy blew me a kiss when I yelled his name as he walked to a meet and greet

I said, "Excuse me Captain, but perhaps you could settle an argument I've been having with my wife. Is there such a thing as too much rum?"
Rob, I will definitely try this one next time

Just think of some ways to have fun and be prepared when they come by

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter