How to accommodate races that overlap training schedules??

margitmouse

Mouseketeer
Wow.. How to write that in a short header was the real challenge!!
I'm back to the wonderful support from DIS for adjusting a training schedule:
I am using the Galloway training schedule for the Goofy challenge in January. I am also signed up for Wine and Dine, 5k in the am, and half that night.
In the training schedule, Saturday is an 8.5 mile walk and Sunday is the 20 mile run.
I'm not sure if this early in my training if I should to do 20 miles the day after basically 16 miles.
Im pretty sure -with all of the other runDisney addicts out there! - that I'm not the only one in this position.
I would really appreciate any input on how others have, or are planning to accomodate other races that overlap their training schedules

Use the 5k and half for your 20 mile training run. I know it doesn't add up but consider ALL the extra walking you'll be doing in the parks.

I would agree with tinyDancer, use your Saturday races as the 20 mile trading run and do the 8.5 mile walk on Friday or Sunday instead.

Your thinking is that the total activity is enough to somewhat make up for not doing the total long run?
I guess I'm worried because I've never done that distance (20) before, and don't want to mess up my training- everyone says for your first marathon stick to your training schedule... maybe I'm too literal!
Thanks for the guidance. Somehow , when I thought of that option, I felt like I was letting myself off the hook or something... when someone else says it it seems reasonable! LOL!

I would be worried about overdoing it and risking an injury by doing the two races Saturday (more mileage than the 8.5 mi on the training plan) AND a 20 mile run Sunday. I tend to err on the side of caution as I know I'm injury prone when I over do it. Maybe someone who's trained for both simultaneously can chime in with their experience.

Since this is your first marathon, you should definitely not be running 20 miles on Sunday after doing 16 the day before. That's just asking for injury. If you really want to get more miles in for mental comfort, move the 8.5-mile walk to Sunday as @TinyDancer suggested. You will have other 20-mile long runs in your schedule to get you prepared for January.

Your thinking is that the total activity is enough to somewhat make up for not doing the total long run?
I guess I'm worried because I've never done that distance (20) before, and don't want to mess up my training- everyone says for your first marathon stick to your training schedule... maybe I'm too literal!
Thanks for the guidance. Somehow , when I thought of that option, I felt like I was letting myself off the hook or something... when someone else says it it seems reasonable! LOL!

I just ran a 50 miler and the longest training run I did was 17 miles, followed by 3 evening miles, and 12 morning miles the next day. It works.

Thanks!
I appreciate the input! These boards are such a gift, I know I'm not alone in this sentiment at all. Feedback like yours helps to get me off the ceiling and back to normal, realistic training. I'm not out to break any records.... Just to finish upright, with a smile on my face! (Thanks Jeff!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter