How the heck do you pick a deck?

labdogs42

DIS Veteran
Wow -- I'm gearing up to book our first Disney cruise. In true DIS crazy style, I'm planning ahead for August 2013! So, looking at the cabin categories has me a little overwhelmed. I want a veranda, so that gives me tons of choices. Looks like the price only varies a hundred bucks or so between decks, so no biggie. So, since the price isn't much different, how do you choose which deck you want to be on? What are the general guidelines for choosing a deck or location? I know most is personal preference, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on choosing. Or if you can point me to some old threads on the same topic, that's great, too. As usual, search was not so helpful! ;)

We tend to spend a lot of time on the pool decks during the day, so we prefer our cabin a little higher up. That way, we can just walk up a few stairs to the pool when the elevators are crowded. Also, some say they feel the ship less up higher. We've been all the way down on deck 2 and as high as deck 9, though, and I thought the movement was about the same no matter what.

What ship? On the classic ships, the only difference between decks 6 and 7 is location-traditionally the higher the deck, the more costly the cabin.

We LOVE deck 5 aft on the classics.

OK think about what you want to be near and when you will most mind the elevators. If it's going to be a pain to wait for an elevator to go to the beverage station or pool, pick a higher deck. If you don't really care (young enough to run 3-4 flights or will opt for the elevator no matter what), think about what you want to be near...adults only might prefer forward locations while kids would be more aft/mid oriented.

Wow -- I'm gearing up to book our first Disney cruise. In true DIS crazy style, I'm planning ahead for August 2013! So, looking at the cabin categories has me a little overwhelmed. I want a veranda, so that gives me tons of choices. Looks like the price only varies a hundred bucks or so between decks, so no biggie. So, since the price isn't much different, how do you choose which deck you want to be on? What are the general guidelines for choosing a deck or location? I know most is personal preference, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on choosing. Or if you can point me to some old threads on the same topic, that's great, too. As usual, search was not so helpful! ;)

Ok, this is the way that I choose my cabin
Price
Sample on 2006 I book on the magic, deck2 under my cabin it was the door to come in and out the trash, bad bad each time that we was on port the truck bagging it was not a great experience
That was my 2 cruise I have know 6 DCL know that I make sure is the a cabin need to be under my and in top of mine. Lol.
The cabin almost on the corner they are great and is a decent price. For me is 9a cat is nice and my next one will be 6a also Corner. Great location

We picked a category we liked, picked a room based on that. Then we had to change rooms because they misrepresented the room to us. Okay so we had to move up categories. We went up to a Veranda. So we like to have rooms above and below us not the dining room/kitchen, bars, pools. We also prefer to be near the center or rear not the front of the boat. And we like the number to mean something. We cruised on RCCL for our honeymoon and our room was contained the number 4,8,1,2. Which to us meant the 2 of us became one on April 8th. Our anniversary. We knew the room would be perfect. Our number didn't work out to anything significant yet. But we did look at each other and asked what those numbers mean to us. LOL.
PS we already booked our Aug 2013 cruise! Maybe we will see you there!

What ship? On the classic ships, the only difference between decks 6 and 7 is location-traditionally the higher the deck, the more costly the cabin.

We LOVE deck 5 aft on the classics.

OK think about what you want to be near and when you will most mind the elevators. If it's going to be a pain to wait for an elevator to go to the beverage station or pool, pick a higher deck. If you don't really care (young enough to run 3-4 flights or will opt for the elevator no matter what), think about what you want to be near...adults only might prefer forward locations while kids would be more aft/mid oriented.

This! :thumbsup2 Decide what you want to be closest to and how many flights of stairs you're willing to walk to get there when the elevators are busy.

We've been on the Dream and can't speak to the classics but for us our midlevel/forward was ideal--we could walk down one floor kids club, down a couple for theaters and meals. We didn't mind the elevators for the pool deck b/c we spent longer there so we didn't make frequent trips. I also loved that our verandah looked down on lower decks and ocean rather than life boats which jut out over the side of the boat--you'll only find that view forward or aft.

Ours is 6534 FYI--loved it so much we rebooked it on the fantasy. :lovestruc

See which deck the suites are on and book away :thumbsup2

Seriously though, I worry more about what is above us than anything as the ambient sound from above can really impact your enjoyment of your stateroom.

Being within a few flights of the common areas can be convenient when you want a quick snack, a coffee, or something like that, but ultimately you can still resolve the elevator wait problem on the lower decks by walking to the far forward or aft elevators, which are never as croweded as those that are midship.

Thanks for this!!great site!!

We have a seven year old, so I'm sure we will be hitting the pool and kid clubs a lot. We also aren't afraid of stairs, so I'll keep thAt in mind.

Which category?
I'm a fan of the secret porthole rooms on deck 5. Close to kids club, short hallway, daylight but not too expensive.
BTW, this isn't that early, for DCL. Room rates came out for 2013 back in January and we book that day for best rates.

I look at deck plans and make sure there is nothing above or below that is going to be a problem, like the pool deck, a nightclub, a restaurant, or the kids clubs. Then I check out the room reviews.

We like to book a Middle Deck Mid-Ship. This way were about 5 minutes from anywhere on the ship.
The classic ships we like deck 7.
The Dream class we prefer deck 8.
Good Luck and Bon Voyage.

Which category?
I'm a fan of the secret porthole rooms on deck 5. Close to kids club, short hallway, daylight but not too expensive.
BTW, this isn't that early, for DCL. Room rates came out for 2013 back in January and we book that day for best rates.

Yeah, I was looking at them in January, but I still had a lot of thinking to do! Once I go on one cruise, I know I"ll be more prepared to book them earlier in the future!

I was looking at category 6 mostly. I thini I want a balcony. But saving a few bucks with a porthole is an appealing option as well. Which rooms are the secret porthole ones? (on the Dream)

Yeah, I was looking at them in January, but I still had a lot of thinking to do! Once I go on one cruise, I know I"ll be more prepared to book them earlier in the future!

I was looking at category 6 mostly. I thini I want a balcony. But saving a few bucks with a porthole is an appealing option as well. Which rooms are the secret porthole ones? (on the Dream)

Secret portholes are on the classic ships. Dunno if there are any similar staterooms on the Dream class ships.

I book the DCL cabin that is the cheapest, and that's usually on deck 2. ;)

When I book cabins on other cruise lines, I prefer to be mid-ship or slightly aft. I also look at what's above and below me, and try to stay away from empty spaces on the deck plans that might be a crew work area.

We like aft cabins to reduce seasickness and I personally like the 8th deck because I can run to the laundry to dry things if necessary.

We like staying mid ship on Deck 6 or 5. I agree that I only want rooms above and below us. Since my DH goes to bed early I would worry about noise from entertainment areas

We like aft cabins to reduce seasickness and I personally like the 8th deck because I can run to the laundry to dry things if necessary.

Mid-ship and on a lower deck is where you'll feel less motion. If you are far enough aft, you'll feel quite a bit of motion, as well as if you are far forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!