How soon to buy resale prior to planned trip

princesslover

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Not sure if that title was exactly clear, so let me explain. We have made the decision to bite the bullet and add on 150 points resale to our 150 point direct contract due to needing a larger space overall and wanting to book two bedrooms.

We have a trip planned for November 2022. So our 11 month window is this December. While I have been casually looking now, I am not sure it makes sense to buy right now with our trip so far out. I'd rather keep my money in our account for as long as possible and maybe even build it up a little more. At the same time, I know the ROFR process and dealing with the seller, titles, etc. can take some time, even months. So I don't want to start too late. I am also thinking that if I purchased later this year, (like summer, for example), I may be in a better position to negotiate the MF since the year is closer to being over, so thinking of that too.

So if you were me, would any of this factor in to when to buy? What would be the ideal timing in this situation? Or is there really no such thing as an ideal time? Thanks for any input.
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Figure it’s a 3 month process. Could be less but most likely not more...assuming you pass ROFR first time out.

So, I’d say you have time to wait a few months unless you want to put in some aggressive offers to try your luck with getting it passed.

But, knowing you want November, if it were me, I’d want my points no later than October in my account and ready to use.
 

princesslover

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Figure it’s a 3 month process. Could be less but most likely not more...assuming you pass ROFR first time out.

So, I’d say you have time to wait a few months unless you want to put in some aggressive offers to try your luck with getting it passed.

But, knowing you want November, if it were me, I’d want my points no later than October in my account and ready to use.
Yes, that is the dilemma. If I don’t pass the first time then that throws things off. I’m thinking June might be good. If it doesn’t pass I’d probably know by July and can try again. Perhaps go for more $$ the second time?
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
That sounds like a good plan. ROFR has gotten back to more typical levels recently so I’d say that would work!!
 

bookwormde

<font color=darkorchid>Heading out now, another ad
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
I would suggest adding the time once you settle on the price until points are available (2-3 months) to a reasonable search and negotiation time to get a good price (2-3 months) and a a "glitch allowance" for and ROFR failure, or seller delays of another 2 months, plus the 11 month window so 17 to 19 months would be ideal.

It can be done faster but if you want a more relaxed process you should start this spring
 

Yinn

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 4, 2019
Not sure if that title was exactly clear, so let me explain. We have made the decision to bite the bullet and add on 150 points resale to our 150 point direct contract due to needing a larger space overall and wanting to book two bedrooms.

We have a trip planned for November 2022. So our 11 month window is this December. While I have been casually looking now, I am not sure it makes sense to buy right now with our trip so far out. I'd rather keep my money in our account for as long as possible and maybe even build it up a little more. At the same time, I know the ROFR process and dealing with the seller, titles, etc. can take some time, even months. So I don't want to start too late. I am also thinking that if I purchased later this year, (like summer, for example), I may be in a better position to negotiate the MF since the year is closer to being over, so thinking of that too.

So if you were me, would any of this factor in to when to buy? What would be the ideal timing in this situation? Or is there really no such thing as an ideal time? Thanks for any input.
I've purchased resale each year in the past two years. Both years it took roughly 3 months start to finish and I was using points within 6 months of close (includes booking to actually traveling). The pickings were slim, but we were able to still get a resort we liked. So for the sake of argument let's say that's 9 months. I'd stretch that to about 12+3 = 15 months if you absolutely need to get that 11 mo priority.

Just keep in mind though, don't stress yourself out for the penny and miss the dollar. Lets say your 150 point contract has $8 in annual dues. That's $1200. Buying in August would save you $800 approximately in annual dues if you negotiate for prorated - or $5.33/point.

It's also entirely possible for you to make offers now. Just take $5-6/points off your offer to pay for the dues and be a little more aggressive. Worst case they say no. Best case you get a deal and some peace of mind instead of all of a sudden raising your bids in the summer.
 

princesscinderella

DIS Veteran
Joined
May 27, 2011
You didn’t say what Resort you are planning to add on at or UY you have. Just make sure that it’s a common UY for that resale resort because certain combinations can be harder to find on the resale market. I’d also watch the ROFR thread to make sure it’s not getting regularly bought up by Disney which will add to the time needed if you keeping having to negotiate new contracts.
 

johnsbelt

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Agree with princesscinderella.

You really need to start looking at contracts now to see if you can find a match on resort and Use Year. If it is a common UY at the resort you are already own, then you can wait. But if it isn't, it could be a couple of months before you find a contract. If you add on and your new contract has a different UY than your current contract, they you will have 2 memberships. Then you are booking half the trip with one and half with the second (and not using exactly all of your points). To me that is a recipe for possibly missing a booking date. No big deal you say? What if the web site is down for a day or two when you need to book the second half of the trip and your job prevents you from being on hold for an hour waiting for member services and by the time you finally get through the first day of your second half of the trip is fully booked. What about the borrowing restrictions? Too many unknowns. Even Pete (DisUnplugged) says he wishes he would have looked into keeping the number of UY to a minimum. Also add to the fact that some contracts may come stripped (without points for a year) and that wouldn't help you out next year.

It's a LOT easier when you have one membership. The two contracts work as one when booking and you don't need to worry. I know a lot of people say you can transfer points from one membership to another and that hasn't (so far) counted against the one transfer per year, but the paperwork says one transfer per year. If one thing has been learned from the past 9 months is to make things as simple as possible because you never know when things might change or cut back on the number of cast members in member services. Plan for the worst scenario and things will always work out better. I don't like being so negative, but by having my 2 contracts with the same UY has made life a lot easier when it comes to planning and making those plans reality.

Just my 0.02.

John
 

princesslover

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks everyone.
The resort is CCV and I have a Dec UY. It doesn’t seem like too much of a unicorn for 150 points. And yes, I am firm on dec UY but I appreciate having those reasons explained in detail. 😊
 

DVCSunDevil

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 1, 2020
Not sure if that title was exactly clear, so let me explain. We have made the decision to bite the bullet and add on 150 points resale to our 150 point direct contract due to needing a larger space overall and wanting to book two bedrooms.

We have a trip planned for November 2022. So our 11 month window is this December. While I have been casually looking now, I am not sure it makes sense to buy right now with our trip so far out. I'd rather keep my money in our account for as long as possible and maybe even build it up a little more. At the same time, I know the ROFR process and dealing with the seller, titles, etc. can take some time, even months. So I don't want to start too late. I am also thinking that if I purchased later this year, (like summer, for example), I may be in a better position to negotiate the MF since the year is closer to being over, so thinking of that too.

So if you were me, would any of this factor in to when to buy? What would be the ideal timing in this situation? Or is there really no such thing as an ideal time? Thanks for any input.
I would say the sooner the better. If you find the contract you want (number of points, UY, home resort, price, etc.) then jump on it. If not, you will kick yourself if you can't find an equivalent contract later this year when you are "ready". With regards to how long it takes, we closed on our resale contract last February. We had the points in our account 6 weeks after submitting the initial offer, which I know is very fast. The seller never tried to have us pay the 2020 MF, but I know that sellers sometimes try to negotiate that. Starting early gives you extra time to decline the MF if your initial offer is insisting on you paying those. No matter what, starting now gives you time. The worst thing would be starting later and then taking a while to find a contract you like and then the closing process taking a long time. You would be stressing it to get it done in time for booking your room.
 

Yinn

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 4, 2019
Thanks everyone.
The resort is CCV and I have a Dec UY. It doesn’t seem like too much of a unicorn for 150 points. And yes, I am firm on dec UY but I appreciate having those reasons explained in detail. 😊
Here's a good example. There's a site (www.dvcbyresale.com) that's pending sale on a Dec CCV contract for asking of $135/point. Where as the average listing for such a contract is usually $145-$155. If you had managed to snag that contract, you would have more than made up in the dues or offering even say $140 in July. Just keep your eyes peeled starting now - that one may even fall through.

FWIW, I closed on my loaded/double points CCV @ $130/pt without any ROFR issues last year.

Sent the offer 7/5/20
Passed 8/17/20.
Points loaded 9/24/20

I haven't seen any CCV taken yet. My assumption there is that you're safe to be as aggressive as you want with only the seller in the way. If anything CCV increases in ROFR risk as time goes by but that might be quite a bit of time.

Good luck with the search!
 

princesslover

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Here's a good example. There's a site (www.dvcbyresale.com) that's pending sale on a Dec CCV contract for asking of $135/point. Where as the average listing for such a contract is usually $145-$155. If you had managed to snag that contract, you would have more than made up in the dues or offering even say $140 in July. Just keep your eyes peeled starting now - that one may even fall through.

FWIW, I closed on my loaded/double points CCV @ $130/pt without any ROFR issues last year.

Sent the offer 7/5/20
Passed 8/17/20.
Points loaded 9/24/20

I haven't seen any CCV taken yet. My assumption there is that you're safe to be as aggressive as you want with only the seller in the way. If anything CCV increases in ROFR risk as time goes by but that might be quite a bit of time.

Good luck with the search!
Thanks so much for looking. Yes I saw that one. It has been pending for a while. $140 is around my ideal price. Thinking of making an offer on one of the ones listing for $150. I will definitely keep my eyes open but it’s also good to know I am in no rush. That gives me more freedom to be somewhat more aggressive.

Yes, I have been very hopeful about CCV and ROFR. 🤞🤞
 

Yinn

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 4, 2019
Thanks so much for looking. Yes I saw that one. It has been pending for a while. $140 is around my ideal price. Thinking of making an offer on one of the ones listing for $150. I will definitely keep my eyes open but it’s also good to know I am in no rush. That gives me more freedom to be somewhat more aggressive.

Yes, I have been very hopeful about CCV and ROFR. 🤞🤞
I bought my PVB contract from Shontell there and she's great and responsive. I haven't been paying attention but it might be worth reaching out if it's been pending for a while. It's possible the website wasn't updated or something else.

You never know...my CCV contract from another site was configured in a weird way that prevented offers. Otherwise I'm positive it would've went months before I even saw it. Never hurts to send an email or make a phone call to ask about what the situation is. Worst case you find out it is actually pending and you put her on notice that you're interested should it fall through.
 

princesslover

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
I bought my PVB contract from Shontell there and she's great and responsive. I haven't been paying attention but it might be worth reaching out if it's been pending for a while. It's possible the website wasn't updated or something else.

You never know...my CCV contract from another site was configured in a weird way that prevented offers. Otherwise I'm positive it would've went months before I even saw it. Never hurts to send an email or make a phone call to ask about what the situation is. Worst case you find out it is actually pending and you put her on notice that you're interested should it fall through.
Honestly, I never considered that. I guess it can’t hurt to ask. Thanks!
 

stacie_d

Mouseketeer
Joined
Feb 14, 2000
I bought my PVB contract from Shontell there and she's great and responsive. I haven't been paying attention but it might be worth reaching out if it's been pending for a while. It's possible the website wasn't updated or something else.

You never know...my CCV contract from another site was configured in a weird way that prevented offers. Otherwise I'm positive it would've went months before I even saw it. Never hurts to send an email or make a phone call to ask about what the situation is. Worst case you find out it is actually pending and you put her on notice that you're interested should it fall through.
FYI. It is really pending....submitted to Disney on 12/24 and still waiting. Its our first attempt at a resale contract. I haven’t posted on these boards in years. I started browsing the boards again while not so patiently waiting to try to get an idea of how long rofr is actually taking.
 

Jmazzuca243

Earning My Ears
DVC Gold
Joined
Dec 26, 2020
FYI. It is really pending....submitted to Disney on 12/24 and still waiting. Its our first attempt at a resale contract. I haven’t posted on these boards in years. I started browsing the boards again while not so patiently waiting to try to get an idea of how long rofr is actually taking.
I would reach out to your agent. I submitted mine a couple of weeks after you and I have already heard back. My guess is that someone was supposed to contact you but it slipped through the cracks.
 

stacie_d

Mouseketeer
Joined
Feb 14, 2000
I would reach out to your agent. I submitted mine a couple of weeks after you and I have already heard back. My guess is that someone was supposed to contact you but it slipped through the cracks.
I have...a couple times. She said she has notified Disney that we are beyond 30 days now.
 

gisele2

DIS Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Sometimes it is really long... passed ROFR in October, signed closing documents in December and should close next week...
 

gisele2

DIS Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
On the other hand, it took 90 days from my offer to the points in my new account for my BLT contract.
 

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Top