How Soon is Too Soon? A March '17 TR *7/6 Brunch at Cali Grill*

We were originally booked at All Star Sports For Aug. 23-27 on a bounceback rate of 20% off that we booked before Xmas. Was pretty happy with this as we had planned for this trip to be cheap. However, after looking at other options since we booked, we decided to upgrade our resort and were able to book The Grand Floridian Outer Building - Garden view room for $1134 for the 4 nights ($252 a night before tax)! Very excited as rack rate would have been $2724.76 ($605.50 a night before tax). Almost a 59% savings!!!

Episode VII: Disney After Hours (Part 3)

After enjoying a nearly empty Philharmagic, it was time to head over to a brand new ride for me - another Disney first. We narrowly missed the opening of this ride on my last trip, so I was really excited to try out...

DSC_0260_zps9cank4ya.jpg

The Seven Dwarves Mine Train. While the wait time was posted at 20 minutes (by far the longest we saw) we were moving and on the ride so quickly, I didn't even get a chance to take any pictures in the queue!

I absolutely LOVED this ride and found it to be worth the wait. I was surprised by how smooth the ride is. One of the reasons I hate BTMRR and refuse to ride it is because I feel like I get tossed around like a rag doll. I could have ridden this over and over again, but alas, our journey needed to continue, so off we went to...

DSC_0263_zpsnl8ihzvk.jpg

Why...the Journey of the Little Mermaid of course! While I still needed to figure out my camera settings, I managed to get some good shots on the ride.

DSC_0267_zpsuqodbohd.jpg

DSC_0269_zpshljl2ew3.jpg

DSC_0282_zpsuenthimj.jpg

DSC_0288_zpsdcgp3lqi.jpg

Prince Eric's castle is so beautiful at night!

DSC_0300_zpsr8pxy2dc.jpg

We headed further into New Fantasyland, and not much was happening at Gaston's tavern...

DSC_0302_zpsm4msjpx0.jpg

We made our way towards our final destination of the night...but not without stopping to take backside of the castle pictures...

DSC_0307_zpsrebfnqy2.jpg

DSC_0318_zpsrzo4dzhd.jpg

Is this not the most beautiful site you’ve seen? And as you can tell, completely deserted.

Finally, we reached our final destination...

DSC_0321_zpst2nzfl7q.jpg

That ten minutes is a complete fib. This ride was also a walk on. For the first time ever, I experienced motion sickness on a ride. I've rode space mountain about a million times in my life...and it's never been an issue. But I did not enjoy this ride on this evening. We took a quick spin on Buzz Lightyear, well, because we could. And while Emily definitely beat me, it was unanimous that we both sucked at this game.

The smell of popcorn lingered in the distance so we each got a soda and a water, plus a popcorn (all included with the price of admission). I NEVER eat popcorn at home, not even at the movies, but Disney popcorn is delicious!

At this point, it was approaching 11:30. We literally had nothing else we wanted to ride so we slowly made our way down Main Street. The Emporium was the only shop open, so we quickly browsed our way through. I don't think either of us was in a shopping mood. Unfortunately, when we got back to the hotel that night and were looking at our passes, we discovered there was limited edition merchandise available only at the event, which we did not happen to see at the Emporium. Bummer!

We also discovered that the monorail was not running to either the resorts or the TTC (we were parked at the Poly still). I know. Rebel rule breakers we were. We did ask when we arrived at the Poly and they told us it was fine to park there (we paid for valet) while we went to the Magic Kingdom.

Anyway, we had to take a bus, which stopped at Wilderness Lodge first, before arriving back at the Poly and heading back to the hotel. At this point, as you can tell from lack of pictures - we were both beat. My lack of sleep and travel day had definitely gotten to me. Thankfully, its a much shorter drive back to your resort when you are driving yourself.

We made it back to the room and I was pleased to find out my bag had been dropped off and my Garden Grocer order delivered. They were even kind enough to put the refrigerated items (coffee creamer and soy milk) away in the fridge. In the past, I remember having to call down to bell services to have the Garden Grocer items brought up, so this was nice, especially since it was about 12:15 when we finally arrived back.

Final Thoughts on Disney After Hours

I know a lot has been said on the boards about the price tag of this event. We found that to be more than reasonable. Truthfully, I would have paid twice what we did to attend. We were able to ride everything we wanted to and had 30 minutes to spare. This is by far the closest I will ever be to being the only person in the Magic Kingdom.

I think some may be disappointed if they're comparing this event to the Halloween or Christmas parties. This event is simply about access - there are no special character meet n' greets, no parade and no fireworks. Some have compared it to the Evening Extra Magic Hours from a few years ago. I'm not sure what nights they went...but the park was significantly less crowded than during EMH. The longest wait we had was for Philharmagic and it was because we missed the show start time. Everything else was a walk on and they very quickly removed anyone from the park who was not part of the event. At many times we were the only people in sight, which being at night was almost eerie. We loved it and hope they continue to offer this event on a limited basis!

My only complaint, if I had to make one, was they only offered ice cream and popcorn as a snack. It was very chilly/windy on our night and while I would have adored a Mickey Bar, it was too cold for one. It would have been nice to have other options. But seriously insignificant and in no way hampered our evening!

Up Next: A Magic Kingdom Morning, Lunch at Be Our Guest and My Most Exciting Disney Adventure Yet!

Love the updates, your pictures are fantastic, may I ask what camera you are using?

I am seriously impressed with how much y'all got done! After Hours is definitely something I'll have to remember/consider in the future. :)

AND, we were making our way to the exit 30 minutes before it ended. I figured with that time, we could have gone on all of the rides in the park had we not sort of lingered and taken a bunch of pictures. I have also heard reports of being able to enter the park for this event at 4 PM (even though the tickets say 7 PM). If you reserved 3 Fastpasses for the day, you could easily ride every ride.

I would totally do this if it was in the budget. It sounds amazing!! Thank you for your thoughts. I hope they have it the next time my family goes.

You're so welcome! I hope so too, but that they keep it limited to 1 or maybe two days a week a few months out of the year. A great option for low attendance months!

We were actually at one nearish Universal. Maybe they're all like that around there?

Whaaaaaaaat? I am now questioning myself on if the Walgreen's here is really that expensive and I've just never paid attention. Research must be done! Can anyone else weigh in?

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by.

Oh yay, what a fun trip report so far!

I cannot imagine being at MK late and soaking wet - you two were troopers!

Also, I am dying for that lemon curd now. I love all things lemon and all things curd.

It was not my brightest moment or my most enjoyable MK experience. Thankfully it only took about an hour for me to feel "dry" again, but it was still chilly even after that.

Same with the lemon curd. I'll even eat the kind that comes out of a jar if I'm feeling desperate enough. Also caught your PTR tag...TWO WEEKS in Disney? Color me supremely jealous! I will have to stop by and read all about it!

Great update and pictures! The sandwich did look rather boring imo. But when are roast beef sandwiches ever done up?

Exactly. It wasn't a bad sandwich, it just was not very exciting. It needed to actually have horseradish like what Earl of Sandwich has and maybe some cheese (I am a Wisconsin girl, after all). As it was, it was only meat on bread. Sorry Be Our Guest, but there are MUCH more exciting sandwiches to be had elsewhere.

Love the updates, your pictures are fantastic, may I ask what camera you are using?

Thank you! I still have a lot to learn, and did mess up some shots, but that was due to me neglecting to take a photography class like I wanted to or watch the instructional DVD that came with it before I left.

It is a Nikon D3400 and it came highly recommended by our local camera store as the perfect entry-level DSLR. I would agree. Very easy to use, takes all the guess work out of it, and you can use either pre-sets or your own settings. The camera definitely did the heavy lifting for me. I wish I would have figured out what settings to use for fireworks before I left (it took me until my last night to get it right).

Following along! I am so happy for you that you are in remission! Sending good vibes and prayers your way for continued good health! We live in PA, and we are headed to Disney in 10 days! It will be myself, my husband, and our 5yo little boy. I am loving your trip report! And good for you for taking a solo trip! You go girl!

Joining in a bit late too...first congrats on remission. Such good news you found it early and are enjoying good health now.

Second per your request, I'm from NH and am also in the Insurance biz but in Compliance. Our next trip is scheduled for June (82 days away) to celebrate my daughters HS graduation (she the one in the red dress in my avatar- that photo is about 10yrs ago.) and my favorite part of arrival day is entering the Disney "bubble".

Looking forward to reading more!

Joining in! I'm from New York, but now a CA resident. Next trip is planned for August 2017 to celebrate our 1st married anniversary, and 8 years together :lovestruc

CONGRATULATIONS on being cancer free! I can't think of a more magical way to celebrate than WDW trip. I love all your pictures, especially from Disney After Hours! I can't believe how empty the park was! I hope you had an amazing time, and I can't wait to read more!

Joining in! Your trip sounds amazing so far! I hope to one day do a solo trip myself. I am from NY.. Next trip planned is 30 June- 9 July....but really want to try and get a short one in before Wishes leaves. Also heading to Disneyland next month too:earboy2:

Following along! I am so happy for you that you are in remission! Sending good vibes and prayers your way for continued good health! We live in PA, and we are headed to Disney in 10 days! It will be myself, my husband, and our 5yo little boy. I am loving your trip report! And good for you for taking a solo trip! You go girl!

Thank you so much! Your trip is so close! I'm so jealous!

Joining in a bit late too...first congrats on remission. Such good news you found it early and are enjoying good health now.

Second per your request, I'm from NH and am also in the Insurance biz but in Compliance. Our next trip is scheduled for June (82 days away) to celebrate my daughters HS graduation (she the one in the red dress in my avatar- that photo is about 10yrs ago.) and my favorite part of arrival day is entering the Disney "bubble".

Looking forward to reading more!

Thank you! Yay for graduation! What a great way to celebrate such a special time. Thanks for stopping by!

Joining in! I'm from New York, but now a CA resident. Next trip is planned for August 2017 to celebrate our 1st married anniversary, and 8 years together :lovestruc

CONGRATULATIONS on being cancer free! I can't think of a more magical way to celebrate than WDW trip. I love all your pictures, especially from Disney After Hours! I can't believe how empty the park was! I hope you had an amazing time, and I can't wait to read more!

Thanks! It was an amazing trip!

Joining in! Your trip sounds amazing so far! I hope to one day do a solo trip myself. I am from NY.. Next trip planned is 30 June- 9 July....but really want to try and get a short one in before Wishes leaves. Also heading to Disneyland next month too:earboy2:

I tried SO hard to get another trip for Wishes, but sadly it just wasn't meant to be. Enjoy enough for the both of us!

Episode IX: Where All My Dreams Come True

When I last left you, I was headed to City Hall for some very important business. As soon as I booked this trip, I knew I needed to cross this item off my Disney bucket list. It was something I had dreamed of doing since my very first trip to Disney...

I walked up those steps to City Hall, waited in a mercifully short line, waited for the next available cast member, who was the delightful Maria Jose, my Disney Angel for the day.

DSC_0435_zpsqhwqtoib.jpg

I made my way to her and uttered the words I had so longed to say: "I'd like to upgrade my ticket to an Annual Pass, please."

She grinned broadly and replied "Do you know which one?"

And you know what? I didn't! Despite doing research before my trip, I forgot which pass I actually wanted. After a brief review of my options, I decided on the Platinum Pass - it has no blackout dates and does not include water park admission, but was definitely the best option for me.

I laughed, I cried, I threw up a tiny bit in my mouth because this bad boy isn't cheap. But, YOLO (I promise that shall be the one and only time I utter that during this trip report).

The whole thing wasn't as magical as I had built it up to be in my head, but was still an AWESOME feeling nonetheless.

6E565329-087F-40A9-A13E-025AC7AE38A4_zps53cforsy.jpg

As I exited City Hall, I happened to catch the Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! parade.

DSC_0442_zps679rw96h.jpg

It was fine, but not really my thing. I browsed The Emporium and purchased a few books, including the Disney Sweets cookbook, which I can't wait to try!

I made my way over to the Ye Olde Christmas shop in Liberty Square, where I dreamed of being able to have a tree decorated solely with these ornaments...

DSC_0491_zpslhgvmgez.jpg

And then I took a seat on the stone ledge by the tree with all the lanterns so I could check out the new Muppets show.

DSC_0535_zps8cmpdhtx.jpg

It was cute. It wasn't my favorite, but it was a good filler for the Hall of Presidents being closed.

I did some shopping again at the Beauty and the Beast store...I only bought some Beauty and the Beast branded Twinings tea - citrus spice and something with ginger I think.

If you've seen the movie, you'll appreciate this awesome replicas!

DSC_0569_zpscapsyydi.jpg

DSC_0571_zps0nm4fhat.jpg

I then made my way over to one of my favorite gift shops...

DSC_0568_zpsdxajbiux.jpg

Where I purchased a coffee table book about Imagineering the Haunted Mansion. I wish all of the stores would be like this...completely themed to their attraction!

Now it was time to use my first FastPass+ for the day. I headed back to, what else? The Jungle Cruise!

Up Next: The Jungle Cruise, a Festival of Fantasy and an unexpected detour!

Reactions: DLo
Annual pass! So exciting! On our last trip once we knew we'd be coming back for a wedding/honeymoon trip, we decided it would be cheaper in the long run to do the same thing and upgrade. It really makes you feel like a Disney super star! ...until you remember the price. :P

Annual pass! So exciting! On our last trip once we knew we'd be coming back for a wedding/honeymoon trip, we decided it would be cheaper in the long run to do the same thing and upgrade. It really makes you feel like a Disney super star! ...until you remember the price. :P

Yes! Disney Super Star for sure. At least in our own minds. I realize they must do this dozens of times a day so isn't a big deal for them, but I was secretly hoping for a mini confetti cannon haha.

I haven't shown off all my shopping purchases yet...but I think it might have paid for itself nearly on just shopping/dining discounts on this trip.

Where I purchased a coffee table book about Imagineering the Haunted Mansion. I wish all of the stores would be like this...completely themed to their attraction!
I agree, I wish they all had there own store. So many times you just find the same stuff through out the park. But I want BTMRR stuff and I can't find it. You would think after the success of this store they would have caught on.

Episode X: Jungle Cruisin' and Festival of Adults Behaving Badly

After breaking in my AP with a few shopping discounts, it was time to head over to my first FastPass+ for the day...The Jungle Cruise!

I have often heard the rumor that as the day goes on, the jokes on the Jungle Cruise get a bit more 'adult'. I was eager to test the theory since we did the Jungle Cruise quite late at night. Nope. Exact same jokes as the night prior. I find them funny, as they match my own sense of humor...but Disney myth = busted!

DSC_0575_zpsylbosi2n.jpg

Forgive me, I was STILL trying to get the hang of my camera...

DSC_0586_zpsibyfghe4.jpg

DSC_0600_zps3vw916rv.jpg

DSC_0608_zpsn5fb7hj9.jpg

DSC_0622_zpsxuugcbyx.jpg

DSC_0631_zpsvbvqftwx.jpg

DSC_0645_zpsofxmpyhg.jpg

After the Jungle Cruise, it was time to head over to get a spot for The Festival of Fantasy parade. I had not been able to see this parade in previous visits, so I was really looking forward to it. And as I staked out a spot, I was reminded of exactly why I despise the parades. Not because they aren't beautiful, in fact I think FoF is the most visually stunning parade Disney has ever done...but because of adults who behave badly.

I did not do my research beforehand about what location would be advisable to view the parade. Instead, I staked out my location, about 40 minutes before the parade started. There were already crowds gathered. I found a location right at the hub with a group of teenage girls seated on the curb. They said they were going to remain seated for the entire parade. PERFECT!

However, as the parade began, people of course showed up at the last minute and tried standing in the active walkway adjacent to us. When they were told (repeatedly) they could not do that, they chose instead to "squish in" in front of me, and a few others who had gathered. Annoying? Absolutely. I swear, I'm not a horrible person. If you are a child, or really anyone who is shorter than me, you are more than welcome to stand in front of me. If you are a grown adult who knows better, then I'm not very sympathetic. However, I've made it a goal to never end up in one of those YouTube videos of Disney guests behaving badly, so decided instead to just let it go and hope fore the best. One guy and his wife were particularly irritating as in addition to standing in front of me, he also kept holding his camera up high, directly in front of me.

As soon as the parade started, I realized I was on the wrong side of the sidewalk as the floats came around the hub. However, I still managed to get some pretty nice shots.

DSC_0668_zpssni1aob6.jpg

DSC_0676_zpszn4ei7yu.jpg

DSC_0694_zpsm8hojlrz.jpg

DSC_0697_zpsqrsumhhv.jpg

DSC_0709_zpsse80pqrh.jpg

DSC_0718_zpsic3z1uxh.jpg

DSC_0731_zpsmri6zt5c.jpg

DSC_0736_zpsm0wbna0f.jpg

DSC_0758_zpsa7vrexc1.jpg

DSC_0766_zpsakbok3rl.jpg

DSC_0791_zps0sh2ptwy.jpg

DSC_0795_zps6moxh4ty.jpg

DSC_0825_zpskdasuqpj.jpg

And...for posterity's sake, our three parade crashers ladies and gentlemen...

DSC_0806_zpsdk4yrdci.jpg

Up Next: An Unexpected Detour and Dinner at 'Ohana

Reactions: DLo
I agree, I wish they all had there own store. So many times you just find the same stuff through out the park. But I want BTMRR stuff and I can't find it. You would think after the success of this store they would have caught on.

Agree. It seemed like all stores carried the same core products, with maybe 1 or two unique things. The Tower of Terror gift shop is also one of my favorites and I can't ever escape it without spending some coin. I also love the shop in Africa near Kilimanjaro with the hand-carved wood. I have a set of salad utensils/servers that I use all the time from there!

However, as the parade began, people of course showed up at the last minute and tried standing in the active walkway adjacent to us. When they were told (repeatedly) they could not do that, they chose instead to "squish in" in front of me, and a few others who had gathered. Annoying? Absolutely. I swear, I'm not a horrible person.
No one thinks you are a horrible person. However, those people were just inconsiderate. I dislike it when people are oblivious to others or choose not to care. On my last trip I tried the Fastpass+ for FOF parade and it was similar, they packed everyone in there and people still got in the way. I feel your pain.
Agree. It seemed like all stores carried the same core products, with maybe 1 or two unique things. The Tower of Terror gift shop is also one of my favorites and I can't ever escape it without spending some coin. I also love the shop in Africa near Kilimanjaro with the hand-carved wood. I have a set of salad utensils/servers that I use all the time from there!
True, that was a good store at both Disneyland and WDW. Sadly they won't have the TOT open when I go to DLR this August. I'm a little sad. I hope they make the change to more land or attraction specific products. The Disney Store has some nice things from time to time but there is nothing like buying it while on vacation.
I love the TR so far! Congrats on the AP. You are so lucky!!

Joining in! Love your trip report! I went back and read your pre-trippie too. Congrats on your remission and what a great way to celebrate, WDW solo!:cheer2:

So much new stuff to me anyway, that you are doing, I am living it through you! :goodvibes

I am from Arkansas, next trip is visiting my home state Michigan this June. My favorite travel day thing is opening the door to our hotel room and the first meal! I love stepping outside from the airport too. It means I've officially arrived! lol :Pinkbounc

:sad1: It's very sad to say but it is a brave thing to watch a parade at Magic Kingdom alone. I went quite a few times as a single mother and grown adults (men and woman) would cut, push and shove us. :crowded:
I ended up trying to find a spot up on the train station entrance and ask to join a group (very early of course) because there is strength in numbers. I love the idea a taking a pic of them and letting them know they will be on the internet! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Last edited:
Uggh, adults who misbehave at Disney are probably the root of 98% of my Disney frustrations! Parades and any shows without specific seating seem to be some of the worst places for them to lurk, too! Glad you still enjoyed it and got some good pictures!

No one thinks you are a horrible person. However, those people were just inconsiderate. I dislike it when people are oblivious to others or choose not to care. On my last trip I tried the Fastpass+ for FOF parade and it was similar, they packed everyone in there and people still got in the way. I feel your pain.

True, that was a good store at both Disneyland and WDW. Sadly they won't have the TOT open when I go to DLR this August. I'm a little sad. I hope they make the change to more land or attraction specific products. The Disney Store has some nice things from time to time but there is nothing like buying it while on vacation.
I love the TR so far! Congrats on the AP. You are so lucky!!

I too am SO sad about TOT closing at DL. When I went there on my graduation trip, we were blessed with very low mid-week crowds and rode TOT at least 6 times in a row. I'm sad to see it go, but I do like the ride at WDW better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter