How Should I Book This??

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
Good Afternoon!

I am planning a 6-night stay for me and my daughters for next October. Our 11-month window opens on Monday and I am going to book a studio at our home resort of AKV to make sure that we have a room secure for our trip.

Now, our hope is that when the 7-month window(s) open, we can split our stay into (2) 3-night stays at 2 different resorts. We are debating between BCV, BRV, and BWV in that order. Those are the studios with the extra bed, meaning we would each get our own sleeping surfaces. I know full well the difficulty in getting studios at 7 months during October and we are planning on using the waitlist and we are more than happy to stay at AKV since it is the least amount of points AND it is the biggest rooms of the three. Right now, I am leaning towards BCV and BRV since those are the two we've never stayed at. Since I know we can only have 2 waitlists, I think it will be those two...but isn't there more availability at BWV in the P/G category? We've stayed there twice and I love it. Ideally, I'd like to do a split between the MK and Epcot/HS area so a BWV/BC split is off the table.

Here's where I need a little help. On Monday, should I book a 6-night stay at AKV, or should I only book a 3-night stay? I was thinking I'd book a 3-night stay, and then book another 3-night stay starting on the 23rd. Then, at the 7-month marks, I can set up waitlists (if needed) that will cancel the corresponding portion of the AKV stay. Does that make sense? As I said, we are fully prepared to split our stay. I intend to keep the waitlists active right up until the 7 day mark since any new reservation would be more points anyways. If it doesn't come through, I guess the worst case scenario is that we'd have to move rooms within our resort, right?

I'm super flexible (perhaps too flexible!) with where we stay but I want to make sure I get the initial reservation set up properly because I am not flexible with our travel dates.

Personally I'd book it 3 and 3.

And this may be overkill but I'd book each under a different name so that if the waitlist were to match MS wouldn't be able to get confused by it. Also just in case someone at MS noticed the 2 reservations and thought to combine them then the different names should prevent them from doing that.

If you don't get in to any other resorts you can then have MS combine the reservations together.

Personally I'd book it 3 and 3.

And this may be overkill but I'd book each under a different name so that if the waitlist were to match MS wouldn't be able to get confused by it. Also just in case someone at MS noticed the 2 reservations and thought to combine them then the different names should prevent them from doing that.

If you don't get in to any other resorts you can then have MS combine the reservations together.
I thought about booking it under the different names, but DD's are only 15 and 13 so I am the only adult on the reservation.

Since your goal is 3 and 3, I too would book that way. Waitlists for fewer nights are definitely easier than longer ones. Plus, this will allow you to cancel and re-book online at the 7 month window for the first part of your trip instead of having to wait for MS to do it for you.

When I book this way, I just use people that may be coming on the trip to hold the reservation so MS won't combine for me. Many times, I am not sure who will be part of the trip at 11 months, but need rooms, so using another adult on the 2nd part for know is a good way to get what you need secured without MS combining on you prior to 7 months!

So it sounds like maybe I should book my two segments with, say DH and DD15 on one and myself and DD13 on the other? Then rearrange the names as the plans become finalized? I thought I'd read something about the "lead" name on a reservation not being able to be changed...is that not the case?

So it sounds like maybe I should book my two segments with, say DH and DD15 on one and myself and DD13 on the other? Then rearrange the names as the plans become finalized? I thought I'd read something about the "lead" name on a reservation not being able to be changed...is that not the case?

That is incorrect. All names can be changed.

That's on Disney cash reservations, especially discounted ones.

Lead names on cash reservations booked thru CRO cannot be changed. The names on DVC reservations can be changed without a problem.

Last edited:
depending on how many points you have -- you could book your original reservation at AKV as 1/1/1/1/1/1, and then just add individual days at BRV/BCV as they become available (if you have enough extra points -- you wouldn't have to cancel the AKV days until you get a full 3 days of matching). This way, if 2 out of 3 days are available, you can lock those two in and waitlist just the one day -- which will give you a MUCH better chance of getting what you need. More work -- but provides greater flexibility down the road.

... I thought I'd read something about the "lead" name on a reservation not being able to be changed...is that not the case?
That is for cash reservation and DCL reservations.

depending on how many points you have -- you could book your original reservation at AKV as 1/1/1/1/1/1, and then just add individual days at BRV/BCV as they become available (if you have enough extra points -- you wouldn't have to cancel the AKV days until you get a full 3 days of matching). This way, if 2 out of 3 days are available, you can lock those two in and waitlist just the one day -- which will give you a MUCH better chance of getting what you need. More work -- but provides greater flexibility down the road.
I would suggest that you do 3/1/1/1:
Have a three nights at AKL then that way you can set-up wait lists for one day, much better chance of coming through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter