How ridiculous this Elmo craze has gotten!!

Ridiculous yes.. But wouldnt that be awesome if the winning bidder gives those elmos to Toys for Tots or a similar organization??

I wish I had one so I could sell it at that price to finance an upcoming WDW trip. :rotfl:

bettyann29 said:
Ridiculous yes.. But wouldnt that be awesome if the winning bidder gives those elmos to Toys for Tots or a similar organization??

That WOULD be AWESOME!!! I would love to see the not so fortunate kids get the hot toy of the year... :thumbsup2

I must not be 'with it' this year. What's so special about this Elmo? I see it says 'no tickle' on his box.

Kevenswife2 said:
I must not be 'with it' this year. What's so special about this Elmo? I see it says 'no tickle' on his box.

I'm with you :confused3

Kinda cute I guess - but not even worth the MSRP if you ask me and certainly not worth the way inflated prices folks are paying on e-bay.

Unfortunately I bet the person who bought the lot of 20 is probably planning to list them individually and hoping the prices go even higher closer to Christmas. I'd love to think they bought them to donate somewhere, but...

I tell ya if I had a product to launch I'd be looking to hire some of the marketing folks behind the Elmo craze. I bet they'll get a nice bonus this Christmas. ;)

Don't overlook the shipping: $99, and it's only coming from Kentucky!

The real irony: The kids to whom this toy appeals aren't old enough to grasp the idea of "the hot toy". They'd be just as happy with some nice wooden blocks.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the "lucky kids" who receive these Elmos won't be allowed to take them out of the boxes; they have to be kept nice because they're special. Did people learn nothing from the Beanie Baby craze?

bettyann29 said:
Sorry, I can't agree. If I could afford to spend $2000+ on Christmas charities, I'd buy a truckload of reasonably priced toys so that LOTS and LOTS of children could receive something nice instead of giving one toy to one kid.

You are right that it would be awesome if there were going to be donated to a charity...but lets be realistic and figure that is NOT going to happen!

Wow - that is crazy!!!!!!!!!! I bought two of them the day they came out and I have sent one off to my niece who lives in the Azores. I have an extra one. I really bought it thinking that SOMEONE I know will have a kid who really wants this and they won't be able to get one and I can just sell it to them. I am not sure what to do with it - I certainly think that it is nuts what some of those people are willing to pay......

Thats actually not horrible.. considering it comes to approx 110 a doll... (still overpriced but not to crazy)

MrsPete said:
Sorry, I can't agree. If I could afford to spend $2000+ on Christmas charities, I'd buy a truckload of reasonably priced toys so that LOTS and LOTS of children could receive something nice instead of giving one toy to one kid.

I have to agree with the truckload as well but she was well intentioned. Also the hot toy at that age is the wrapping paper and the box the rest is only to make the parents feel good

$110 a doll is too much for me, even for my one and only precious DD10; if she KNEW I spent that much on a doll she would question my sanity, I can guarantee it! :rotfl:

I remember we put a Tickle-Me Elmo on layaway for her when they first came out, then they EXPLODED in popularity; we couldn't believe how lucky we were to get the one! She loved it too, it was pretty well-loved when we sent it to Goodwill. Still worked, too! :D

LisaNJ25 said:
Thats actually not horrible.. considering it comes to approx 110 a doll... (still overpriced but not to crazy)

I have to agree! It is a hot toy and that price isn't outrageous when you figure out the per doll price. I wouldn't pay it but I don't fault anyone for making a buck or two off of ebay. How many people right here on this board do it everyday?!?!

There are LOTS of toys out there (the majority in fact) that are way overpriced. I think a prime example is American Girl dolls. Look how much those things can set you back! And it isn't just the doll. Look at the overpriced outfits and accessories that go with them.

Santa doesn't believe in paying more than MSRP in our house for anything. If he runs out of stock before he makes it to our house then they get an IOU form Santa that he will get it for them when he can.

That price is ridiculous. I still have the Tickle Me Elmo from 10 yrs ago when that was a big item AND I got it for regular price back then. I can't stand when prices get so high for toys like that.

drag n' fly said:
How sad.:sad2: We anticipated this. We bought one for our ds who turns 4 in December. We bought a second one to donate to charity as a secret Santa from our family for Christmas.:goodvibes

I wouldn't be surprised if the charity auctions it off and uses the proceeds to buy more toys for more kids. Only makes sense ;)

I guess I should have my tag changed since Elmo is so much more money now! Does Elmo make coffee yet?

bettyann29 said:

I don't think so! I buy $1000 of toys every year for Toys for Tots. That is about 7 shopping carts heaped with toys! I would hope someone that had that much money to blow for charity would do it in a better way and not waste it on those Elmos. LOL!

summerrluvv said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the charity auctions it off and uses the proceeds to buy more toys for more kids. Only makes sense ;)

Ours is secret santa only. It will be donated to a family in need anonymously. No charities..no auctions. Families in need provide a wish list through various social agencies and then donors are anonymously matched with gifts. The Elmo will go to someone who really wants it.:thumbsup2 We donate time and money to the United Way campaign to help out in other ways also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter