How popular is Uber/Lyft in your area?

I live in WNY (Buffalo/Niagara Falls area) and we don't have those services.
The state did just approve it a couple weeks ago though.
For those that use it there will be a 4% tax added on to the fare.
I don't know if there was a starting date set yet or not.

Urban - city of 800,000. Currently Uber isn't allowed here but there is legislation coming to change the taxi monopoly. I would assume it would be popular once it starts. I would never use it myself as I take a taxi once a year - to the airport. We have 2 cars - no need for taxis.

I'm in Silicon Valley - needless to say, it's HUGE here. I've actually never used it locally, but DH has. We used it on vacation several times and have been pretty happy with the service.

I'm in Boston and it's regular transportation here. I use it probably 2-3x a month when I have to go downtown and don't want to deal with parking. My DS18 uses it as his primary after hour transportation. I also uses uber when i was in NYC and DC, very convenient and less than taxis. I tell both my kids to use Uber as I feel safer that both the driver and ride can be tracked online.

I'm in Silicon Valley - needless to say, it's HUGE here. I've actually never used it locally, but DH has. We used it on vacation several times and have been pretty happy with the service.

The thing I heard about some drivers in Silicon Valley or San Francisco were that some are budding entrepreneurs. A few even managed to make their pitch to VCs who were customers when they asked what they did.

They passed laws here last year (TX) that caused both Uber and Lyft to leave. Prior to that, lots of people used them here all the time. I know a lot of friends who hope the law changes so they will come back.

The thing I heard about some drivers in Silicon Valley or San Francisco were that some are budding entrepreneurs. A few even managed to make their pitch to VCs who were customers when they asked what they did.

That does not surprise me one bit. I'm sure that is part of their plan...

We live in urban South Florida. Uber is very popular. We take it every time we plan to drink. I don't know anyone who still takes traditional taxis. No one has mentioned using Lyft, but it's also available. I really need to look into the differences between Uber & Lyft.

Last edited:
We use it to get back and forth from the AMTRAK station so I know it's available, but I have no idea how "popular" it is. We do see other ride share cars picking up at the station.

The big controversy over Uber and Lyft was that drivers may not have had insurance that covers commercial use. I think they started covering the drivers as a result. Another issue is that vehicles aren't necessarily inspected like taxis or charter vehicles are. Airports have made deals that allow Uber to operate.

I'm in the South Jersey suburbs. About 5-10 minutes from Philadelphia and 45 minutes from Atlantic City.

It's very popular here. I use it when I go to the city.

I'm in Louisville, KY and it's fairly popular here. My sister drives for Lyft for extra money and really enjoys it.

We live in urban South Florida. Uber is very popular. We take it every time we plan to drink. I don't know anyone who still takes traditional taxis. No one has mentioned using Lyft, but it also available. I really need to look into the differences between Uber & Lyft.
I'm in SoFla too. I like Lyft better but recently Uber has been cheaper and there's a bigger Uber presence in South Florida.

They passed laws here last year (TX) that caused both Uber and Lyft to leave. Prior to that, lots of people used them here all the time. I know a lot of friends who hope the law changes so they will come back.

Must be a local law, not a state law. We have Uber in Houston Texas

I drive very sparingly for Uber when I am bored and have nothing to do. The major difference between Uber and Lyft is Lyft allows riders to tip in the app while Uber does not. You can tip your Uber driver but only in cash. Hopefully Uber will allow in app tipping soon. Please tip your driver if they do a good job especially since the price is already so much cheaper than a cab ☺

I mostly use it when I'm travelling in larger cities, but I have used it at least once where I currently live, in a suburb of a moderate sized city (population just under 500k). I ordered one when I dropped my car off for service at a dealership -- I only had to wait about 3 minutes and the ride home cost me about $8

It's a common option for people in this area in lieu of having a designated driver. Everyone gets to drink and safely get home at the end of the night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter