How old were your kids when they first rode TOT?

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
So how hold were your little ones when they first rode TOT? After they rode it for the first time, did they like it?

I'm still on the fence about taking the kids on this one.

DH and I rode TOT at WDW and it was kinda fun. DH liked it more than me, but I don't really like that 'if I opened my mouth I'm sure you'd see my stomach' feeling as much as he does.

DH thinks the kids would like it. I'm not so sure. So it's always nice to hear what others experienced with their kids.

Our daughter was almost seven last year when she rode TOT at MGM. She liked it pretty well...no crying or anything. But, she did not want to ride it again.

This year she's done some upside down roller coasters and has become a little more of a thrill-seeker, so I bet she'll be on it at DL in November!

Hope you have a great trip!:cool1:

My son was 5. He was scared to death to go on it, but like a mean dad I made him :rotfl2: After we got off he said it wasnt that bad and actually kinda fun. I said, You wanna go again? He basically told me hell no in kid terms. :sad2:

The ride really isnt that bad at all. Its the psyche out games before you even get on the elevator that do the most damage.

The ride really isnt that bad at all. Its the psyche out games before you even get on the elevator that do the most damage.

I didn't go on it, but DH said that you can feel the brakes being applied, feel it slowing down. It's not as "freefall"ish as one expects.

I wonder if that knowledge, talking about it beforehand, could help a kid?

DD is 4 and tall enough for it, but I haven't taken her yet. She loves thrill rides, but ToT seems like it would be too scary for her. I think we'll wait a year or two.

My 5 year old dd insists that she will be riding Space and ToT this November. She's usually pretty timid, so I'll be surprised if she follows through.

My other two did ToT when they were 6. Neither of them like the movie in the library, but they both love the ride.

Mine were 10 & just turned 6 when they first rode it at MGM (we haven't been to DLR yet - that's next summer :cool1: ) Anyway, my younger DS was a little frightened by the theming but LOVED the ride itself, so much so that he rode two more times. The theming wasn't as scary to him after he knew what to expect.

My DD7 has no fear when it comes to thrill rides....the theming creeped her out until she rode it...which we did when she was.....4.5 and we rode it 4 times in a row...until we had to go see the Jasmine show!!! NO tears...no whimpers...just, "can we do it again?".
So, obviously, depends on the kid!!

My DD7 has no fear when it comes to thrill rides....the theming creeped her out until she rode it...which we did when she was.....4.5 and we rode it 4 times in a row...until we had to go see the Jasmine show!!! NO tears...no whimpers...just, "can we do it again?".
So, obviously, depends on the kid!!

My daughter was 5, but had basically the same reaction. She has no fear. My son will be turning 6 during our Nov trip and insists he's going on it, but I have my doubts. In February when we went he was still afraid of anything dark.

My daughter was 3 when she first rode it - she loved it, went straight back on and has ridden it several times since. This year, age 5, she rode it then said that although she liked it, she didn't want to go on again :confused: She still hasn't told us why! The funny thing is that my DH, who has never been brave enough for it, decided to give it a go this year and loved it - he couldn't get back on fast enough! So for the first time ever we had to do a child-swap! :lol

My DD was 5, and she loved it! I think she and my DH rode it about 6 times.
My 4yo DD was tall enough to ride, but was absolutely terrified by the appearance of the building.

Mel

My DD is now 7, she was tall enough to ride TOT at 4, but refuses to ride it. Which is fine. Her dad and I enjoy it very much. That's why we take the grandparents!

My youngest son rode it for his 5th birthday in april and has since rode it half a dozen times, at least once per trip. Dh & I aren't huge fans of ToT but Ds(12) insists he do it 2-3 times per trip. So after we hesitantly let Ds(12) take his brother Ds (5) on it alone :scared: After much reassurance that he would hold on to his little bro for dear life :lmao: Now it is "their" ride, they go on it togethere everytime and they both LOVE it! I guess it all depends on your child, mine are total thrillseekers and most FL rides kinda bore them, but DH & I still like them so it's okay :goodvibes

My daughter was 3 when she first rode it - she loved it, went straight back on and has ridden it several times since.

Three? Wow! My son will be turning four during our trip in December and I was convinced that we would just skip this ride because it would be too scary. After reading these posts, maybe we'll give it a try....after some other milder rides of course!

My girls have been on TOT. The first time was when they were 5 and 7. My girlfriend took her DD on it when she was 4. I am taking my niece who is turning 5 in Dec to DL and was wondering if she would be ready. I almost think she would be too scared. We'll see.......

My friend told her then 8 and 7 years old that my Dnieces go on it (they were 9 and 6 at the time). Both kids freaked. Told my friend she was a mean mommy. When they got back she said "they ride TOT right?" I said heck no, are you kidding? My nieces are still not ready for that ride, and that was 1 1/2 years ago. She had to buy the picture, her daughter was curled up in a ball on the seat, head tucked in.

After we got off he said it wasnt that bad and actually kinda fun. I said, You wanna go again? He basically told me hell no in kid terms. :sad2:

You ad me laughing out loud on this comment!:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

My son is 9 and has still not rode it, and says he has no plans to on this next trip! LOL In June he rode Screamin for the first time and really liked it. But he doesn't like the sound of just falling like that in the dark. Can't say I blame him, I won't go on (yes I'm a big chicken!).

My daughter rode when she was 3 (in WDW) and she loved it. We had been in WDW almost a week when we took her on it. By that point she had ridden BTMR, Splash and everything in between and loved dark and scary (who knew!). She really wanted to go (DH was like Lets take her!!). So we did and she loved it. We rode 3 times in a row.
She is a thrill seeker today (11 and prefers Six Flags rides ;) ) and she loves to read (the stranger and scarier the better for her books).
My son was 4yo (in WDW and DL) when he rode (DD was 9 by then) and he loved it too (not as much...mostly likes the drop but not the opening).

Guess what I am trying to say is that it depends on your child's personality. If they freak out on Peter Pan best not do TOT. We have friends who's children still won't do POC and they are 12 and 9 so each child is different. You know your children. Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter