How old is too old for a stroller for WDW?

tlmadden73

DIS Veteran
Debating on our stroller options for an upcoming trip this fall.

Two children at the time of the trip:
2y 1mo old girl
6y 3mo old boy (first grader)

We had a double stroller on our last trip in early 2017 (5mo, 4 1/2 yo) and that worked well, but just too wide. He used it a lot (especially going to/from the parking lots), but a lot of time we used it to store a bag in the second seat while walking.

I don't think a 6-year old needs a stroller, but would be nice to have to give him a rest (he has to take twice as many steps as any adult) and to be able to get from place to place a bit more quickly (which is key to me).

He is in a lazy/whiny stage right now "I don't wanna walk, I'm tired" (through the grocery store, around the neighborhood, around a mall)

But I really don't want to carry/push around a double stroller and the Dad in me is like "he can tough it out like the rest of us" .. but his mother is worried he will just become a whiny, miserable mess as he quickly gets tired and wants/need a rest after walking the long distances involved in theme parking.

Opinions? Experiences?

Double stroller?
Single stroller?
One of those strollers that has a "standing area" for older children? (but is he too old/heavy for that?)

Despite driving, we usually rent a stroller for convenience (and having different stroller options that we don't own)

I’d go double stroller personally. If he doesn’t need it then it will be slightly easier to push. If he needs it, it’s there if he needs it. Especially if you plan on spending all day/all night in the parks, the double stroller can be nice at the end of the night when you’re all exhausted and you don’t feel like carrying anyone.

Rule in our family is that you're in a stroller until you're 7, then you walk (bring on the haters!). There is SO much walking at Disney, and I don't want to be slowed down by a little walker or annoyed by a whiny walker. I'll teach my kids to suck it up some other time! That said, I'd maybe do a stroller that has the standing area in back. Just make sure that the stroller style is compatible with the standing area - I rented one once, and the handlebar of the stroller stuck out in back so far that there was no room for a standing kid.

You can only go as far in a day as your youngest people can walk. We used strollers at Disney far past the time frame we ever used them anywhere else. And I liked being able to use the stroller hold heavy backpacks with snacks. We also parked it in stroller parking for long periods of time but it was like a security blanket knowing it was there if we needed it.

What about renting a good single and bringing a folds-small umbrella, one that could get tucked under the single when not in use. Put the 2 yo in the good single until you need room for the 6 yo. Then, put him in the good stroller and 2 yo in the umbrella, since those get harder to push at higher weights.

Rent the double or risk "the look" from your wife anytime the kid gets cranky.

A happy wife, happy life! This makes for a much more pleasant vacation for all.

Sometimes peace and happiness wins over principle with me especially on vacation.

What about renting a good single and bringing a folds-small umbrella, one that could get tucked under the single when not in use. Put the 2 yo in the good single until you need room for the 6 yo. Then, put him in the good stroller and 2 yo in the umbrella, since those get harder to push at higher weights.
Ooh. good thought.
That may be easier than trying to find one of those "standing" ones to rent or pushing around a wide double stroller.

Rent the double or risk "the look" from your wife anytime the kid gets cranky.

A happy wife, happy life! This makes for a much more pleasant vacation for all.

Sometimes peace and happiness wins over principle with me especially on vacation.

Also good thought.

Another factor I didn't mention is that my parents are coming too. So maybe just the two stroller concept will work better than a wide double stroller.

My son was 7 I think. We had a sit n stand and it was great.
This one specifically, Joovy Caboose Sit -N-Stand, however the front seat was very shallow. Our youngest son was petite at the time for his age though, so he fit well in it the front while our older child was old enough to sit in the back if he got tired. But a real “stroller”, I’d say 5, only because of comfort... find something that they fit in well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BMAW2SO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_K2KrBbGS653R6

Last edited:
Definitely get the double. I've never regretted having an extra seat for a kid to sit in when they decide they're done. On our last trip, my oldest was 9 and there were times she'd take one of her younger siblings' seats in the double stroller.

My DH and I have been having this same argument for the past few years about my DD. She’s 7, (just turned 7 a month before our last trip) and also a huge whiner when it comes to walking (asks to be carried up the stairs to her room every night because her “legs are tired”). I went against my DH and brought an extra umbrella stroller for her (we also have a toddler in a stroller). I don’t like pushing around the doubles and it is Nice having the extra little bit of storage space. She used the stroller just about every night, on the way out of the parks and the walk from the bus or parking lot to the resort. We got some looks and eye rolls, but I couldn’t care less. It was a sanity saver for me. Leaving the parks amid a mass of humanity, being physically and mentally exhausted, it was great not to have to listen to her whine about not wanting to walk. If you think it’ll help, use one, and don’t worry about what anyone else thinks.

We generally stopped using strollers at 5yo.

That said, there is a 4.5yr difference in age between our two kids. When the younger one was 2yo we were there for his birthday and the older one was 6.5yo. We had one stroller and used a really good carrier (it was a Beco which is similar to an Ergo) to carry the 2yo in some lines and when he napped. When he was in the carrier, the 6.5yo jumped in the stroller.

I don't think she needed to though, it was more that she saw the opportunity and took it. Six months later we did a mom & me trip for her 7th birthday...no stroller. She was completely fine and didn't ask for one at all.

A few years later, we traveled when the younger one was 5.5yo. We had planned to toss the stroller in the back of the van to have on hand...just in case, and forgot to pick it up from storage in time before we left. He did great and never asked for it.

The stroller call is going to be dependent on a lot of factors, including how your family tours, the temperament of your kids, and (to be honest) how heavy your older child is and if you are up to pushing them all over property.

We actually brought a stroller with us until my son was 10. Great spare seat for either child, my daughter being 3 years older than my son. So glad I had it when my son broke his ankle our first day of one of our trips.

I agree with several people here. In short at times, there are the way things should be, and then the is reality. My son should be able to walk the park at 7, but I don't want to deal with the complaining at the end of a night.

Easy for me to do, for the last eight years of so, we have always driven to Disney. In short, we have the space to bring a stroller. Renting a stroller there can get costly. One of my recommendations is to buy a good stroller at a garage sale, clean it up, then and leave it behind at the end of your vacation. Another was to buy a small umbrella stroller at Walmart when you arrive. At $15 to rent a single stroller daily, and $31 to rent a double, you can purchase one and pay for itself in less than 2 days.

In short, while my children are now way past stroller age, I would rather have something and not need it than not have something and really need it.

Have a great trip...

We booted our oldest out of the stroller at Disney at 7. She got a new little brother who needed a place to ride in the double stroller. Occasionally, she will still ride in the stroller at 8 and we will hold the little guy, usually late at night. She doesn't use the stroller at home, but Disney is a lot of walking and late nights. Do what works best for you family.

I came here today specifically to search stroller recommendations, so I'm glad I found this thread! I posted my question in a new thread so as not to hijack this one, but I do want to say that I think the age that is "too old" for a stroller is different at Disney than at most other places :). We are going next month, and we will definitely rent or buy a stroller for our 5 year-old (we also have 2 teens). I don't think it's right for us to expect him to keep up with all of the walking in the August heat, and I know we will all end up miserable when he is tired and cranky and we need to get to the other side of the park for a FP or ADR quickly. He will probably walk much of the time, and then use the stroller when he gets tired or needs a nap (he does not nap at home, but I fully expect him to do so at Disney). A bonus is that we will have a place to put all of our stuff when he is not riding in it!

I’d go double stroller personally. If he doesn’t need it then it will be slightly easier to push. If he needs it, it’s there if he needs it. Especially if you plan on spending all day/all night in the parks, the double stroller can be nice at the end of the night when you’re all exhausted and you don’t feel like carrying anyone.
This 10 x's over:)
We dreaded giving up our stroller, I can tell you that at the end of a long day and night that my DDs were not the ones having a melt down. While we watched other, strollerless parents, either struggling to carry their child or trying to calm them down. It is soooo much easier pushing them then carrying them. Plus; it's great to have to hold your stuff:)

We had a sit n stand and it was great.
This one specifically, Joovy Caboose Sit -N-Stand, however the front seat was very shallow. Our youngest son was petite at the time for his age though, so he fit well in it the front while our older child was old enough to sit in the back if he got tired.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BMAW2SO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_K2KrBbGS653R6

I can't say enough good things about the Joovy...we have the ultralight caboose and it is very lightweight and folds very small. We will be taking it again next spring with our 6.5 and 4.5 yr olds and then probably retiring it because the kids will be over the weight limit.

If your wife is urging you to have a seat for the older child, I would go with that. Like someone else said, any time he gets cranky you are going to be reminded of it and you probably don't want to have to spring for a Disney stroller. Other factors come into play. How hot will it be when you go? How long is the trip? Everyone feels different on day 6 as opposed to day 3. What is your touring style? Are you okay at going at the little guy's pace and taking probably double the amount of breaks as usual.

We had one until my son was 4; but on our first trip when he was 10 months, my daughter was 7 and any time we were in line I put him in the Ergo carrier. So many times we came out of the ride and she wanted to ride. She did sit in it when we were in a long line waiting for a bus one night and promptly fell asleep.

We did not go when he was 5 or 6. We returned when he was 7 for a 4 day trip. It was really hot and he did mention once that he wished he had one; but that was all. But our touring style is not taxing. We do either opening to around 2, 11am to around 6, or 4pm to close as our trips have been in the summer.

Another factor I didn't mention is that my parents are coming too. So maybe just the two stroller concept will work better than a wide double stroller.

Concerning your parents....Before my DH started using a wheelchair at disney, he would push the stroller. He felt better having something to hold on to since his balance has gotten poorer as he has aged.

Since you will have plenty of hands for pushing, I'd go for two singles. You can split up, 2 year old is taking a nap in the shade somewhere, you are moving on with the 6 year old to some rides. And easier to get onto buses and through stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter