How often do you resort-hop?

mickey85

Earning My Ears
How often do you end up needing to split your stay with DVC points, when you book non-home resorts?

We have resort-hopped before when we were paying cash, but now that we are considering buying DVC, I wanted to know if it was fairly common that you're forced to split your stays at the other resorts.

I'm not saying we wouldn't like to do this occasionally, but I would prefer being able to stay at one resort for most of our stays.

Thanks for your help.

How often do you end up needing to split your stay with DVC points, when you book non-home resorts?

We have resort-hopped before when we were paying cash, but now that we are considering buying DVC, I wanted to know if it was fairly common that you're forced to split your stays at the other resorts.

I'm not saying we wouldn't like to do this occasionally, but I would prefer being able to stay at one resort for most of our stays.

Thanks for your help.

You greatly increase your chances of not having a split stay if immediately upon the 7 month window you make your reservations.

Our first split stay was due to the fact that we did not understand how important it was to book as early as possible. Our second split stay was due to the fact that we loved our first DVC trip and wanted to 'recreate' it.

i agree with this. i resort hopped once but i'd prefer not to do it again...

I've only done split stays when I wanted to, but then I always book in the 7-11 month range.

We had never done a split stay until our trip this past August. We were staying for 10 nights, so we did the first five nights at BWV, and then the last five nights at our home resort, AKV. I didn't find the move a hassle at all because we had a vehicle with us. We always find it difficult to decide where to stay (willing availability), would like to try all of the DVC resorts, but also LOVE our home resort. So for us, the split stay, when we stay for 10 nights will be the way to go. We can experience different resorts, have two different experiences, AND relax at our home resort! For a one week stay we prefer just to stay at our home resort.

We enjoy split stays so our summer trip is always split between BWV and BLT. However, all the other ones we have done--shorter ones--have been at one place.

A few times, we did end up having to piece it together and used wait lists but in the end, it came through.

As mentioned, if you are booking or changing from your home resort at 7 months and are flexible, you should not have a problem getting an entire stay at one resort.

we did it for the 1st time as a DVC member this past trip. we originally planned to just stay with another family at AKV 2bdrm but decided to add 2 additional days about a week prior just for our family. Only two consecutive days available were at SSR studio. I prefer not having to pack up but we scheduled an easy no park day when we were transferring.

I usually try to stay at the same resort, just because when our family hits the room it looks like a washer machine exploded and we fill the kitchen with food we bring from home, so hopping would be a pain. We usually try to keep changing the resorts, and sometimes get concierge or 3 BRs to make it special. Saratoga Springs seems to always have availability, but it is probably our least favorite resort.

Seldom. However, this trip, we had planned to arrive on Sunday, but our son who has to leave before we do asked if we could leave home a day earlier. Told him we didn't have any points to use, but I did find a night at POR with AP discount for $137. So we are arriving one day earlier. But we don't usually do split stays (three or four nights one place and three or four nights in another)>

Depends on length of stay and what mood we are in. Our next trip is only 8 nights so we won't hop. Our December trip next year is 18 days so we will spend half at VWL to visit the MK area and then move to BWV for the DHS and Epcot areas.

:earsboy: Bill

I'll respond simply because maybe you've seen some of my posts about how we move resorts. No one made us do that. Well, circumstances, maybe, but we helped to create those circumstances.

We have taken 2 WDW trips, with one coming in February, which have involved part of the trip in a 2 bedroom with extended family. We have been interested in seeing other resorts before or after they are there, and we don't have the points to just stay in the 2 bedroom. AND we like a LONG vacation. Since we will be moving from the 2 bedroom anyway, might as well check out other areas!

We also include Universal (love love love Universal!).

this coming trip we have *chosen* to do the following. Oh wait, the first part of it is because MIL was going to come with us and needed to travel 2 days before the cruise, to make sure she got some sleep before the cruise. We had already booked things when her health changed her plans, and we've just kept the basics in place.

2 nights at PO Riverside.
3 night cruise (along with, but not in same rooms, with extended family).
2 nights at Universal.
3 nights at Kidani 1 bedroom.
3 nights with extended family at SSR, 2 bedroom.
2 nights at VWL studio.

It's definitely NOT everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure! And in the past DH would have balked at this (even though I'm the one packing and organizing, for some reason he has, in the past, been bothered by the perceived time it takes for the move), but THIS time a lot of that was his idea! At the end of the trip, we like seeing many resorts and having different experiences.

I unpack with each move, which makes the stay *feel* longer, and it doesn't take me that long to do. This time, with possibly our record number of moves, I'll be packing extremely carefully to make moves easier.

But no one forced this on us. We just like the longer stays, like having family with us (though this just about wipes us out of points until 2015, LOL, so we're hoping they choose to buy in at some point here :3dglasses), and LOVE seeing all sorts of places in a hurry! so the extreme split-stays work for us.:hyper:

This is our first hop coming up in April. It's an 8 night trip, so we're doing 4 and 4. Part of the reason is to be able to easily access MK for a few days then to easily access Epcot. Part of the reason is also to have a freshly clean room ;)

This is our first hop coming up in April. It's an 8 night trip, so we're doing 4 and 4. Part of the reason is to be able to easily access MK for a few days then to easily access Epcot. Part of the reason is also to have a freshly clean room ;)

You know with an eight night stay in a single villa, you get a full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel service on day eight, right?

We stay 9+ days so we always choose to split, sometimes multiple on longer stays. Unless you are going at the highest demand times, or want a resort or rrom type that has special demand for the time you are there, if you have some flexibility being forced to split is rare. You do have to "work" to put it all together by doing on line right at 8 at the 7 month window and check daily to fill in any gaps.

Like others have mentioned we have also done split stays because we wanted to feel like we were having two vacations in one. We don't do it every trip, and usually do a split stay between BLT and BCV. We love only needing to worrying about driving or taking the bus to Animal Kingdom. We also book our home resort (BLT) at the 11 month mark, and then make adjustments as needed at 7 months. I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what you decide to do. We also stayed at AoA for one night last year, as a surprise to my 4 year old who is obsessed with Cars. Split stays take a little more planning re: packing so that you are not constantly unpacking and re-packing.

You know with an eight night stay in a single villa, you get a full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel service on day eight, right?
I thought I was a day short of a full cleaning. I can't seem to get it straight.

I only split stay if I don't have enough points to cover 1 resort OR I didn't plan far enough ahead to get the same resort. Other than that I hate moving resort because we have 2 little kids. Moving means we are "home"less between 11am and 4 (or 5pm). With little kids who still need naps it's a PITA.
If it was just DH and I moving wouldn't be a big deal

I've never been forced to do a split stay. I do do them, but often I have a reason, like changing friends who I'm staying with.

I have an October trip coming up and I will not know how to extend it until we'll be well into the 7 month window. Since I have BCV booked for what I know I can do, this stay will most likely be the one I am forced to move. I will not give up what I have.

By the way, that October stay will be a Disboard gamers meet. If anyone likes word games or others, come on to the Games bard and join the fun, meet!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Most of the time we split resorts. We tend to invite family for the first part of our trip, so we get a bigger room. When they leave, since we have to change rooms anyway, we change resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!