How NoT to Rope Drop?

But the MDE app already tells you the wait times for each attraction. Is there any difference?

But the MDE app already tells you the wait times for each attraction. Is there any difference?
My experience has been that the TP lines expected wait times are more accurate than MDE and posted wait times in the park. Not always and not all rides but the app shows the MDE wait and they’re expected wait and more times than not TP is accurate.

Disney factors in cleaning rotations which inflate the time. Lines gives you actual wait times that users are reporting.

I think if you're not an early bird, the best strategy for the headliners is to get in line close to park close. We also use the Lines app as the real wait times for rides are usually more accurate than the MDE or posted wait times and we have found even one hour waits are really only 20 min sometimes. That app is a great resource. However, sometimes we do end up waiting for the popular rides if we really love them. Sometimes there is no way to avoid a wait.

What is the 'Lines' app? Is there a full name for it?

Thanks!

Honestly, for us, we will generally rope drop, do some things. Then head back to our room to relax for a bit when it starts getting busy and/or too hot. Then we will head back into the parks after. This works best when parks are open later, like they will be for our trip in June and we have APs, so that also affects our attitude toward things.

What are some advantages and/or strategies to NOT rope drop with how things are now? We do like doing the headliner attractions at all the parks.
It may depend on when you are traveling. In the current climate of reduced capacity it isn't necessary to RD. We had been a family who RD most days, but not all. Our trip in Nov 2020 we didn't RD once and it was magical. We enjoyed the leisurely mornings and not waiting in lines to get on the buses. We would show up to the parks about an hour or so after opening.

The only benefit to RD might be to hit the headliner without long waits. Maybe is you go in with the "i don't care if I hit XX" then the pressure and stress will be less. That was our new attitude and it was the most enjoyable trip ever.

If your health permits, staying at the park later has some of the same benefits of RD. There are no night time entertainment so it really helps with lightening the crowds in the last couple of hours of the park. Families with younger kids don't seen any need to stick around. People who came at RD also would rather just go home and relax. So use this last few hours to your advantage.

I suggest just going to any of the parks when you are ready. Take your time and enjoy your resort. Then go to the parks when you feel like it. If the lines are too long for you, just get a snack or a drink and soak up the atmosphere, that is part of the joy of Disney. Then hit rides as wait times come down. If things get busy again, explore areas around the parks and soak it all in.... with another snack of course!

We are going mid May and while we always were rope drop people, I think we are going to switch and do breakfast, pool, and then parks afternoon to close. With MK opening at 8, I just can’t be at a bus stop at 630 to try and beat the crowds. Going for a few hours will be enough for us since we are coming back I. July. And having an AP helps my with my normal mentality of “we paid a kabillion dollars for this day ticket and we are going to squeeze as many hours as possible out of it”

I understand the reason for rope dropping, I just can't get myself up early when I'm on vacation. Any ideas or strategies for the lazy?

Especially recently, the parks that open up early, like Animal Kingdom and Studios, are emptying out around dinner time. You will still need to wake up before 7 am to get your Rise of the Resistance boarding group, but you can go back to sleep once you have the estimated time. Epcot doesn't open until 11, so hopefully you can rope drop that for rides on Frozen and Soarin. MK will always be crowded, but rope-drop really only gets you one short wait now, since so many people are there before opening. You're not missing too much. Lines go down a little bit after dinner.

in the afternoons, wait times definitely start to wind down. If you can’t get there at RD, then it makes more sense to arrive mid afternoon than at 10 am. If you check out the thrill data website you can see how the average wait times for each park (and each ride) evolve through the day. This can help you decide when to arrive in the afternoon. For example, DHS waits peak between 10-12 and then start to come down. For MK it’s between 11-2. When looking at the graph make sure to display Previous Day, as the long term averages don’t seem to fully reflect the current crowds since March.

Have a great trip!!
Thank you for posting this! I had never heard of Thrill Data before, and I just checked it out. As something of a nerd when it comes to graphs and charts, I'm looking forward to digging into this ahead of our trip later this year!

We are morning people so it’s never an issue for us. I’m just as amazed by the people who don’t leave until 11- midnight. I would not make it the next day if I went to sleep that late.

Thank you for posting this! I had never heard of Thrill Data before, and I just checked it out. As something of a nerd when it comes to graphs and charts, I'm looking forward to digging into this ahead of our trip later this year!
I am so glad there is another graph/data nerd here! So useful to look at these data to somewhat plan our days. Enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter