How much would you pay for a basket of blackberries? (updated)

EllenFrasier

DIS Veteran
How much would you pay for a basket of fresh blackberries? My kids want to try picking them and selling them roadside, but I have no idea how much to charge. Obviously we want to go lower than the vegetable markets, but they didn't have any out yet to check how much they charge. :confused3

Anybody have any idea how much they usually go for?

I buy a 6 ounce container at the grocery store when they are on sale for .99. I don't know how much a basket would hold.

If it's one of those little green produce baskets (that's like 4"x4"), I would sell for a 1$ a basket. And do a special of like 6 baskets for 5$. This is how much I buy strawberries for at the flea market.

My sister has a farm and blackberries are one of her main items. She sells them for 3.50 a quart box and basically cant keep them picked fast enough. She has certain days of the week when she picks and usually all is sold before she has even picked it.

I think it depends on how you grow them. If you know they are organic pestiside free I'd sell them for more then $1 I'd say sell them by the quart for between $ 3-5 It also depends on how sweet they are etc. But either way your selling a product thats local and fresh not refrigerated for weeks and shipped across the country so they should be worth more and I'm sure they are lovely.

good luck

Wow, where do you all live? Blackberries were on sale today in the store 3 pacs for $5 and those were the 6oz size and they looked like they were on the shelf awhile.

I think that the last time I purchased them it was 3.00 per quart box from a local grower.

EDIT: I think the container was actually a pint size container! Sorry.

Wow, where do you all live? Blackberries were on sale today in the store 3 pacs for $5 and those were the 6oz size and they looked like they were on the shelf awhile.
Farmers Market, or fruit stands, but I don't bother in the major chain stores often because they are always way too expensive.

I love blackberries! They sell them in the stores here, but I always wonder who buys them. They grow wild everywhere here. Of course, we have to wait until they are ripe. . .but I can't bring myself to buy them off season at the store, because I know they will be free and abundant soon. Sorry I'm not much help. . .but I think you could probably get $2 for one of those green berry baskets. . .maybe 2 for $3 or 3 for $5. HTH

Very small basket at the farmers market yesterday was $2.99. They were huge berries, so there were probably only 15 berries at most in the basket.

Sheila

I stand corrected, the 6oz packages were a 1.50 at the farmer's market yesterday. Of course I only saw one stand with them. So I'm sure the price will go down soon enough. When corn first started showing up, it was 4/1.00$ now it's like 5-6/1$. And I'm sure it'll go down as soon as all the crops are tall enough.

You can always start high, and go down from there.

DH pays between .99 and $1.50 - and won't pay over that.

I think a few of you are confusing grocery store and farmers market from fresh picked farm stand. The price points should be different because the time line and the process by which the food is cultivated is different. It also depends on where you live if you live on a farm belt where you can get fresh fruit at farm stands everywhere is different from living closer to cities where farms can be scarce. I would pay more much more for organic and fresh but thats me I don't penny pinch on my food I like fresh organic and value the time and labor it takes an individual small farmer.

How much would you pay for a basket of fresh blackberries? My kids want to try picking them and selling them roadside, but I have no idea how much to charge. Obviously we want to go lower than the vegetable markets, but they didn't have any out yet to check how much they charge. :confused3

Anybody have any idea how much they usually go for?

Depends if they are cultivated vs. wild and where in the US you are located. I tell my growers that they should be able to get $5.00 a quart for cultivated berries in order to cover their costs of production. Wild berries usually go cheaper even though it takes longer to pick a quart.

Bought 20 6 oz containers at Meijer, they were 2 for $1, and froze most of them.
We bought a home grown batch while on the road a few weeks ago-3.00 for a pint container.

As a rule, no more than $3 a pint for any type of berries, regardless of where grown.

Wow! You guys are getting some cheap berries! I paid $8 for a quart of locally grown (not wild) blackberries. They were huge berries and super sweet. I thought I got a good deal considering the quality of the berries.

Well, it didn't quite work out. I helped the boys pick the berries and we were careful to only pick big berries that were not overripe. We brought them right home and put them in the basement in shallow boxes so they would not squish each other. Then the fruit flies, that we didn't know were down there, showed up. The boys shooed them off and covered the boxes with trashbags to protect the berries. The next day, the put some in white foam bowls that we had bought and sat outside with them. No takers. In the meantime, the berries were getting slightly squishy in the basement, so we decided to save what we could and freeze them for ourselves. If they decide to do this again, it will have to be pick on the same day as they sell! Somehow, I don't think they'll do it again.

Bought 20 6 oz containers at Meijer, they were 2 for $1, and froze most of them.
We bought a home grown batch while on the road a few weeks ago-3.00 for a pint container.

As a rule, no more than $3 a pint for any type of berries, regardless of where grown.
I live in Missouri and have grown berries for my families personal use most of 30 years. When on sale in store (couple times a year) they are $3 per pint. Otherwise they are usually twice that. I don't know if it's the area we live or what but never see them that cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter