How much water to pack-recommendations?

Thank you to all who answered my question!! I agree that the ships water tastes fine. We've always used refillable cups and bladders for excursions.

However, MIL always carries a bottle of water with her (not a refillable). I didn't want to ask her to change her habit (she's almost 80), so I thought I'd be nice and just bring some bottled water with her.

I was inspired by y'all to ask her what she wants. And, as I thought, she wants some bottled water. I recommended to her that she bring a refillable. She doesn't want to. I will just bring bottled water for her and make the kids drink from their refillables. I didn't want to make her feel like the odd one out, but c'est la vie. I am not lugging 24 bottles of water around the ship on embarkation day.

Thank you to all who answered my question!! I agree that the ships water tastes fine. We've always used refillable cups and bladders for excursions.

However, MIL always carries a bottle of water with her (not a refillable). I didn't want to ask her to change her habit (she's almost 80), so I thought I'd be nice and just bring some bottled water with her.

I was inspired by y'all to ask her what she wants. And, as I thought, she wants some bottled water. I recommended to her that she bring a refillable. She doesn't want to. I will just bring bottled water for her and make the kids drink from their refillables. I didn't want to make her feel like the odd one out, but c'est la vie. I am not lugging 24 bottles of water around the ship on embarkation day.
Sounds like the best plan.

I didn't want to make her feel like the odd one out, but c'est la vie. I am not lugging 24 bottles of water around the ship on embarkation day.
Guess MIL will be lugging her own water bottles on to the ship. I also have friends that are 75+ yrs and carry around a water bottle everywhere, (one insisted on carrying a bottle to someones house for dinner. I finally said NO, that is rude.) They never drink out of it, just carry it around, or it sits in the hot car and they put it back into the fridge. I don't get it.

Guess MIL will be lugging her own water bottles on to the ship.

This. I would totally enact the “you want it, you carry it” rule. Even when I was little, our family rule was “You bring/want it, you carry it.”

(On a side note, I was very happy to see American Airlines not only enforcing the 2 bags per person thing (strictly, in fact) this morning, but they ensured that each person was handling their bags. No more mom baby wearing and carrying 4 bags because “it is 2 per person”. Wish more airlines would stick to that.)

(On a side note, I was very happy to see American Airlines not only enforcing the 2 bags per person thing (strictly, in fact) this morning, but they ensured that each person was handling their bags. No more mom baby wearing and carrying 4 bags because “it is 2 per person”. Wish more airlines would stick to that.)
Boy, do I hear you!

We bring our own refillable bottles but a lot of the DCL excursions provided bottled water as part of the cost.

does anyone else find that water that comes out of the soad machines to have a weird taste? To us it almost has a children's chewable tylenol taste.

I agree with this, however I’ve learned the hard way that these rules dont apply to your mother-in-law.
Also, isn't she quite elderly? You can't expect an 80 year old to be carrying a 24 pack of water on board.

OP - you can buy water on board. It's not cheap, but say you bring a 6-pack on board and buy a 6-pack for your MIL. Just don't tell her, if you think the $10 will be an issue. Or, even better, order it to be in her cabin. She doesn't have to know the cost then:
upload_2019-2-16_22-25-44.png

Why would a baby not need a carryon? When DS was an infant, he needed far more carryon stuff than I ever have. Diapers, change of clothes, snacks (airline doesn’t provide ) toys to occupy him so he didn’t bother other passengers. I paid for a seat for him, I don’t understand why he’d need to carry his own bags to qualify for the 2 bags per person rule.

Why would a baby not need a carryon? When DS was an infant, he needed far more carryon stuff than I ever have. Diapers, change of clothes, snacks (airline doesn’t provide ) toys to occupy him so he didn’t bother other passengers. I paid for a seat for him, I don’t understand why he’d need to carry his own bags to qualify for the 2 bags per person rule.

Because with Mom having 2 of hers and 2 of his PLUS baby, she blocks everything for much longer. He can still have one, but then Mom gets one - check the rest.

WOW "quite elderly" Yikes. I have friends that are in their 90's, senior Olympics, and don't even call them elderly. Tote your own.

This exactly. If you are so set in your ways that you refuse to drink perfectly fine included water and have to have bottled, you either tote your own or you order it on board.

I agree with this, however I’ve learned the hard way that these rules dont apply to your mother-in-law.
MIL relations are a special case indeed! And at 78, I try to accommodate and be thoughtful towards her. And my kids had better do it for me!!

We are bringing wine with us, so adding some water to our wheely bag isn't too burdensome. I just don't want 24 bottles. I'll fill the bag to capacity and that's it.

Thanks for the lively comments!!

Because with Mom having 2 of hers and 2 of his PLUS baby, she blocks everything for much longer. He can still have one, but then Mom gets one - check the rest.

The mom gets 4 bags, if she bought a seat for the baby. If the child is riding in her lap (free of charge), then there are 2 bags for the paying ticket.

On a side note, I was very happy to see American Airlines not only enforcing the 2 bags per person thing (strictly, in fact) this morning, but they ensured that each person was handling their bags. No more mom baby wearing and carrying 4 bags because “it is 2 per person”. Wish more airlines would stick to that
It should be two carryons per ticketed seat. Each person should not be required to carry their own. My wife needs a hip replacement and currently uses a wheelchair for longer distances or a cane for short ones. I am the one doing all the carrying, both hers and mine. I don't know why you would say that a baby wouldn't have any carryon allowance just because they are physically unable to do the actual carrying.

Does the same logic apply to your beer/wine allowance for DCL? Does each person need to carry their own 2 bottles of wine or 6 pack of beer?

The mom gets 4 bags, if she bought a seat for the baby. If the child is riding in her lap (free of charge), then there are 2 bags for the paying ticket.

Not on American yesterday. They were adamant that each person - even toddlers - have their own bags. Anything that could not be handled by the person and resulted in someone having more than 2 was checked free of charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!