How much time do you need for all the Harry Potter stuff? (with little kids)

DeeBee3

I'm not grumpy; you're too happy.
Considering adding on some time at Universal and was wondering if you need more than 2 days if you just want to check out Harry Potter stuff. I'm sure we will all enjoy looking around, but the main point of this visit would be to do that area with the kids. We are going through Potter mania right now. The oldest will be 9. The youngest (5) has no idea about it except what she hears us discuss or see in the movies. She knows the main characters.

It would also be at Christmas time, so would it be better to wait for a less insane time?

Thanks for anything!

You can do it in 2 days and have plenty of time to look around if focusing only on the HP sections. But the lines for Hagrid's, Forbidden Journey, and Gringott's will be very long if you do not have Express Pass. Same with the Hogwart's Express, but note you need to have a park-to-park ticket (i.e. Hopper) to ride that attraction.

Added in edit: Hagrid's doesn't accept Express Pass, so unless that changes before December it will have a long line whether you have EP or not.

Last edited:
Lines will be crazy. The first time we went was a Friday in May 2021, and we waited for almost an hour for butterbeer. We went back in January 2022 during the week and it was 5 minutes. ExpressPass line at the end of the day for Hogwarts Express was 45 minutes back in May.

Without long lines for shops (including Wand Chooses the Wizard, which is super fun!) and if you either don't care about the rides or have a way to shorten them you can really do everything you want in a day. But during the holidays...yikes...

You can easily do all the Wizarding World stuff in two days, but I’d advise a time other than Christmas. A huge part of the appeal is to immerse yourself in the streets, visit the shops, do the magic windows, etc. It’s much harder to imagine you’re really there with wall to wall people. Additionally, at busy times, there will be a wait at each and every magic window, both in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. It’s still cool, but it does lose some of the illusion of magic when you’ve stood in line watching six other people trying to get an effect to work before your turn. And some of those windows are tricky, so there’s pressure to get it right quickly because there’s a line of people waiting behind you. If it were mostly rides you’re after, you could splurge on express passes, but for a lot of the stuff your kids will want to experience, you’re better off at a less busy time.

I figured it would be crazy busy, so I will have to consider options. We are all so into it right now it would be good timing, but I also want to enjoy the place!

I figured it would be crazy busy, so I will have to consider options. We are all so into it right now it would be good timing, but I also want to enjoy the place!

Are you already planning to go to Universal Orlando, and if so for how many days? Do you have a WDW trip planned and were thinking about going to Universal for two days for the Harry Potter stuff? I would do a separate Universal Trip at a time other than Christmas. If you can afford to do another Orlando trip during a school vacation, that might work better.

Are you already planning to go to Universal Orlando, and if so for how many days? Do you have a WDW trip planned and were thinking about going to Universal for two days for the Harry Potter stuff? I would do a separate Universal Trip at a time other than Christmas. If you can afford to do another Orlando trip during a school vacation, that might work better.

We already have reservations at WDW so it would be an add on. I do think a separate trip would be much better. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter