How much spending $ for kids?

can'twait

DIS Veteran
How much do you usually give the kids to spend at WDW, and what do they usually buy? Mine are 5 and 7, and I was thinking $50 in Disney Dollars each. What could they possibly want that would cost more than that? I don't plan on buying anything for myself other than a new fanny pack for the parks, so hopefully I will set a good example. I don't plan on doing any shopping, so it would only be a quick trip through a gift shop or two, to get autograph books or something.

Any thoughts?

:goodvibes

Some of it will be allowance money, some of it birthday gifts, some of it matched by us. We have the dining plan, so they won't need to buy snacks with it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Is this all for souvies? I probably only gave each kid $25. I also didn't just "give" it to them. They got part of their allowance in Disney $s for a while and could do extra things to earn more. That way they were vested in the money - really thought about what they wanted. We still have the things they bought and they took good care of the stuff because they worked for it. I don't believe in saying here's $50 just so you can buy something. I also wasn't getting asked all the time "Can I get? Can I get?" They knew how much they had and when it was gone, it was gone.

$50 each should be more than enough. I don't know the kind of things that they like, but they should be able to get a couple of things with that much!

My kids (6 & 9) have been earning disney dollars with good behavior.....they are allowed to earn up to one dollar a day with excellent behavior, sometimes don't get any, sometimes I'll give them a little extra when they've been exceptionally well behaved under trying cirucmstances.....and once or twice I've taken $$ away due to HORRID behavior.....it's working out well! I figure they'll have $50 each +/- by the time our trip rolls around, and they'll have earned every penny of it!
Joan

I just opened up my girls' (8 and 5) piggy banks and helped them count and roll the loose change. Including their $10 each in Disney Dollars they got for Xmas, they will be bringing $45 each for spending. I think even that is a bit much, but it is their money and they will be able to pick out their own souveniers without me complaining "you want to spend $$$$ for that?" :rotfl:

Last time we went to WDW, DD8 had her own money (I think about the same amount) and she loved being able to pick out her own things....and since it was her own money, she was careful about what she chose to spend it on.

My older boys (ages 6 and 11) are taking $100 each with them in a few days. :cool1:

$75 will be DD and $25 of their own money, they have earned it throughout the year as their allowance. Out of this money, they can buy anything they want, but they also have to buy there own snacks with it.

So if they want a Mickey Bar and a Lemonade, they pay for it themselves. I think this will teach them resonsobility especially since half of the snacks they eat are thrown away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter