How much limit on a Credit card for hire car and Disney Room charges

Sweet Pea UK

DIS Veteran
I tend not to use a credit card so only have one that has a £900 limit on - I expect it to be totally clear when I go but is this sufficient to leave with the hire car company and also for Disney for room charges. Should be charge anything to our room I will be in cash when checking out.

I'm just nervous we will get there - leave it with Alamo for security on the car and being told that there isn't enough????

Would they not even put anything through unless we caused damage?

The GF will generally give you a $1500 limit for room charges. You can ask for it to be lower if you would like though. Can you ask the CC to increase your limit? Maybe to £1200 then you would covered in the case of any adverse exchange rate movements!

We have never used Alamo only Dollar for car hire and they don't put a hold on our account so not sure if Alamo do - may be someone who has used Alamo will know :goodvibes

I'm all for not having any credit card debt, but I'd advise you to get one with maybe a £3-4k limit especially as you like your holidays.

We were part of the XL cancellation fiasco (they went bust 4 days before we were due to fly with them) and if we hadn't have boked on credit card we'd never have gotten that money back.

So even though we don't use our cards for anything day to day we make sure we have a £2k limit as that will always cover us when we make big purchases that we want the protection for.

We're booking our flights today or tomorrow, and will get them on the Mastercard and then just pay the balance from our current account online.

you dont have to leave a cc on your room if you dont want to you can leave cash on there as thats what we did

the deposit at the car hire company depends on what insurance you have i read it on VH website

Platinum no deposit and i cant remember how much the others were

we never leave a cc on file with them either, i tell them i dont have one and never had a problem not getting a car

That's great thanks! We have platinum insurence and when I spoke to virgin yesterday to book next years holiday (!!) I queried it with her and she said they only swipe the card so it will be fine. I know what I'm like if I increased the limit!! I will ask them at Disney just to set a $500 dollar limit, that way I'm covered for emergencies. I never use a credit card with virgin to pay for a holiday, not now they whack 3% on or whatever it is!!

I feel much happier now. Thanks x

you dont have to leave a cc on your room if you dont want to you can leave cash on there as thats what we did

the deposit at the car hire company depends on what insurance you have i read it on VH website

Platinum no deposit and i cant remember how much the others were

we never leave a cc on file with them either, i tell them i dont have one and never had a problem not getting a car

I think that things have changed slighly now that Virgin are using Alamo instead of Dollar. This is taked from the Virgin important info:

Deposits and Credit Cards

Alamo require the lead driver to have a credit card in their name. This will be swiped at time of pick up for authorisation but no amount will be deducted.

Fuel

If you have taken out our Platinum Insurance Package then a full tank of fuel is included. If you haven't taken this package then you will be required to pay for a tank of fuel on arrival. You can then return the car empty.

Hope that this helps! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter