How much do you spend on Disney vacation prep?

How much do you spend on Disney trip preparation?

• $0 - $25

• $25 - $50

• $50 - $100

• $100 - $200

• over $200

Results are only viewable after voting.

mlwear

DIS Veteran
I'm often reading about pre-purchasing items to take to Disney (ponchos, trinkets, coloring books, bagallini, crocs, portable DVD players). So, as I'm starting to think of what I need for next month's trip, I became curious how much others spend on their preparations. There are a few things I have in mind for our family, but one example I know I will need to get is new tennis shoes for myself.
I understand often the pre-purchases are to save money while at Disney.

Got kids a dual dvd player for christmas about 190 and some disney shirts and other disney items on sale from the store about 75 dollars right now they have 30 dollars in money and put dh and myself clothes on layaway about 225 and some new luggage yesterday from target for 44 dollars so pre disney i have spent. Almost $600.00 so far. I think i am done but who knows.

$600.00 :rolleyes1

This year I got a new Baggalini and a new pair of Crocs. I make sure we all get new shoes a month or so before so they still look okay but are broken in. We are still using our dollar tree ponchos 4th year (luckily we haven't needed them yet!). I stopped spending $ on the little Disney toys because DD would rather pick ot her own things and it means more when she buys it herself. I also bought DD and my niece some pins to trade.

Got it down to a science now. I've got everything I need, and can re-use it over and over again. All I need is sunscreen and a fresh pack of batteries for the camera and we're off!!!

we just got some t-shirts on sale at the disney store 25.00, dh and I just got new shoes 80.00 . I also got the passporter for Christmas. were down to 67 days! :Pinkbounc :banana: :cheer2: :woohoo: :moped: :wave: :crazy:

mine is on food for our family of 7 and also some new clothes for the family :love:

The way we planned for this trip was a mess, first it was a 3 day then with the free dining we extended it . I went crazy and bought so many things that we might not even need. I already spent over 800.00 :scared1: specially when I do not take advantage of the sales(When I ordered my mickey luggage they were not on sale, so i have to paid more :guilty: ) The only good thing is that I do not see myself spending a lot at disney maybe one or two souveniers and that it. :thumbsup2
linnette

We are buying DS a portable DVD for Christmas so that he'll have it to take on the flight. Clothes and some food are always added expenses.

"Disney prep" is a 9 month event for me!!! It basically starts the January after we get back when we book that years trip. Then the shopping starts! This year, we have spent more because it's DD first trip and of course she "needs" all new clothes and shoes for the trip. We also got her a Tink Backback and some books/coloring books. We also pre-purchased glow necklaces, etc. Plus we are getting a portable DVD for the plane. We always update the toiletry bag (I keep one always packed) plus get new shoes for us. I spend all year buying things because I will buy things when they go on sale and put them away.

Batteries for our digital cameras are one of our biggest expense. I buy two packages a month for about ten months before.

We re-use ponchos that we have not used but buy one or two extra in case someone forgot.

We get at least one new outfit(sometimes more depending on the old paycheck)per person.

We also buy a few gas cards.

On Disney prep so far I have bought:

Baggalllini $21.00

From Dollar Tree:
batteries
ponchos
hand soap
plastic toothbrush holder
over door organizer for bathroom ($10 total)

From walmart:
mister fans (4)
sunscreen
wipies
ziploc bags ($27 or so)

extra flip flops from Old Navy before they run out of the good colors. (I live in these all summer, and have never had a problem wearing ff in Disney). $5

I still have to pick up: film (lots & lots) tylenol, advil, etc meds (This will cost alot)

I pick up all this stuff alittle at the time, during the months before the trip.

I don't really buy new clothes for the trip, I may try tye-dying matching shirts this year. School will have started, so kids will have new clothes & tennis shoes broken in.

I will ship a box of snacks, using my groc budget for the week we are gone, and I may try ordering water& having it shipped for me this year since we are flying.

I voted $100-$200 :wave:

Depends on how old my current pair of running shoes are. If I don't have to buy shoes, it would be closer to $100.

Along with the usual stocking up of pharmaceuticals, wipes, snacks, etc., I usually buy some new Disney t-shirts for DS, and I'm always on the lookout for the perfect carry-on/backpack/park bag, whether I need it or not. :teeth:

I tend to buy bigger items as I see them on sale, like my new Mickey luggage set. I'm also buying a portable DVD player (which should be on its way to me as we speak), but that will be used daily by DS as we transport him here and there. I'll also use it on my next two trips to NY.

So some of this stuff isn't necessarily for Disney, but would definitely be used when we see Mickey next time!

:goodvibes

Camera batteries and a new bottle of sunscreen are my only purchases.

I rarely buy clothes or shoes specifically for vacation as these things are purchased as needed. Even the sunscreen and batteries are things that I normally have- I just make sure that I have plenty before a vacation.

I've never prepurchased souvineers except for pins for trading. We do not purchase lots of trinkets anyway. We buy souvineers only if we see something special that would really be enjoyed later- not just in the moment.

I voted $0-$25. Anything we need for our vacations we already own. If I bought something like a new pair of sneakers, I certainly wouldn't count that as pre-vacation spending as I would have needed to buy them whether we were going away or not. I really can't think of anything we buy specifically for our Disney trips. Pre-digital camera, I would have said film, but we no longer have that expense.

I bought new luggage (the red mickey ones on sale, our cheap Target luggage was falling appart so needed it anyways)
6 $1 ponchos
A new bathingsuit for me and hubby from the Disney Store (needed these anyways as well)
4 shirts from the Disney Store (3 for hubby 1 for me) of which two would have been bought anyways.

Other then that I have been pretty good about not buying much, I'm sure a couple of days before we go I'll pick up some snacks for the room/trip and such, but otherwise I think we're doing pretty good here.

Okay to be fair I should probably put my new digital camera in here (so I voted wrong) since I did get it when I did so I can take decent point and shoot pictures at night and not have to drag the huge DSLR around all the time. I also got hubby a nintendo DS and 3 games so I guess that should probably count too, though it was a birthday present though it was gotten so that if he gets bored in line or waiting for a show to start (which he will even if it is only a 15 minutes) I can tell him to play his DS.

Now that the boys are both teens we don't pre-buy too much stuff. My pre-trip expenses are usually:
Film
Camera batteries
AA batteries for PSP and Disc players
2 gum/mint type items
4 snacky items Each of us picks something like Ghardettos, Jerky....
Couple of magazines and maybe 2 books (which I would have bought anyway)

So I voted for the $25-$50

I've spent well over $200 in the past few months.

New luggage $400 (clearance on Overstock) was my biggest purchase... but I've bought Crocs, a Misty Mate, personal fans, clothes, t-shirt transfer paper, toys, dollar store stuff, filtered water bottles, toiletry items, first aid items, souviner stuff for my 2 year old daughter so as not to pay park prices for light spinners, glow sticks, stuff like that...

eta: I forgot the money I've spent on pins. Probably around $75. :rolleyes1

But on the upside... the only things we will buy at the park will be a princess costume for DD, and MAYBE a Pal Mickey.

I LOVE to pack. I bring A LOT but I'm a pro at keeping it compact. I think planning and shopping for our 9/30-10/6 trip has been more fun than it should be!!!

We made tye dye mickey head shirts (10), bought 3 other sets for the girls and DDs of DS t-shirts for all to match, besides water bottles, ponchos, and other little helpful items. Plus the girls got a disney workbooks and a dvd player (actually 2, one form Grandma for youngest) for the trip.

The DIS boards helped so much with helpful ideas and we saved a bundle buying ahead and I gave the items to the girls and parents for christmas so that was a useful and easy presents especially for the parents.

I put 25 - 50. I bought a fanny pack, two brita water bottles, and a fishing license lanyard. Our trip was 6 years ago and I still use the fanny pack almost every vacation, we've used the water bottles, and I loaned the lanyard to another friend going to Disney. Money well spent, I'd say.

We're pretty well set for vacations, though we do always manage to spend money getting ready when we're going camping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!