How much do you save booking a VGT etc..??

mcgrawfan

Peace Love Mickey Mouse
Hello! I am dreaming of booking my next cruise so in the mean time I am trying to learn all about the VGT/OGT/IGT Rates. I understand the restrictions. What I am really wanting to find out is about the $$$$. Looking for some Disers to share what they saved using these codes. Also wondering if there is somewhere online we can see these prices or do you check on them through a TA.
:beach:

Thanks!
Kelsi

It varies. I have been tracking this since the fall and have seen anywhere from 30 - 42% for our family of three.

We booked the Dream 14 months out for our June 2012 sailing and it was about $3050 for a 6B (verandah) for 2A 1C. Our August 2012 Dream sailing was an OGT and we paid $1900 and we booked about 30 days out. For us - yes, we wish we could have had the verandah - however our 8B oceanview was fabulous and for that price difference we'd gladly do again. :thumbsup2

Heather

We booked the Dream 14 months out for our June 2012 sailing and it was about $3050 for a 6B (verandah) for 2A 1C. Our August 2012 Dream sailing was an OGT and we paid $1900 and we booked about 30 days out. For us - yes, we wish we could have had the verandah - however our 8B oceanview was fabulous and for that price difference we'd gladly do again. :thumbsup2

Heather

Just wondering...for the OGT cruise you went on, did the rate come out 30 days in advance? I have seen some rates come out sooner, but I'm am curious to know what's the latest that anyone has seen an XGT rate come out for a cruise...45 days out? 30 days out? etc...

It depends. We usually book as soon as the cruises are introduced and many times the VGT rate is higher (or close) to what we paid. But if you are planning a last minute cruise, it could save you quite a bit.

We also try to book as close to opening day as possible. Since we are still "Silver" CC members, we usually book within the first week since only gold and platinum can book from the get-go.

I have been watching a couple cruises though and just wondered how "last minute" some of the XGT rates come out? I mean, has anyone ever seen them not be released until less than 30 days before sailing?

I booked a 5E on the Dec 8th Fantasy several months ago. I used my 10% obb discount. Then 3months ago I changed to an inside cabin (don,t remember the category) to save about $500. Then I cancelled and went on a different cruise. But a couple days ago I re-booked Bc of GTY rates and it was $800 cheaper. So I figure the GTY rate is about 25% less than the Obb discount.

We had a 5E booked on the 10/13/12 sailing of the Fantasy using the OBB for $1235 per person. The VGT rate (announced in August, 2012) was $995. If we had booked a VGT rate, we would not have received $200 in OBC. So the difference was $140 per person for the first 2 in the cabin. -- Suzanne

Can you look of theses discounted rates on disneycruiseline.com or do you have to go through a TA??

SuzanneSLO said:
If available, you can see the *GT rates online. -- Suzanne

Do the GT rates ever change, once posted for a particular cruise? That is, do they ever go lower?

Thanks!

Yes, I have seen *GT rates come out lower as the cruise neared on at least one occasion. They came out with the *GT rates, then they vanished (we figured sold out...the a couple weeks later, VGT came out even lower.

OK, we had a day 1 booking and moved an onboard ressie for the 10 off. When the *GT rates came out for our date, we were still a very few dollars less than the IGT rate, but we also had $350 in OBC from our platinum on board booking....so the real answer was that we got a $360 better deal.

A few current rates FWIW:
12/8 Igt $1741 11C $2347 VGT $2133 7A $2651 (7 night from PC)
11/3 from Galveston IGT $1304 11C $1786 VGT $1904 6A $2108

These are all for 2 people in a cabin. Of course, you could add a $50 Disney Visa OBC to a regular rate, so might want to factor that in.....

We booked a VGT for our cruise this coming Saturday :yay: and paid $3200.00 We got a cat 5a room which is still showing as almost $5200.00
HTA
Nikki

Just wondering...for the OGT cruise you went on, did the rate come out 30 days in advance? I have seen some rates come out sooner, but I'm am curious to know what's the latest that anyone has seen an XGT rate come out for a cruise...45 days out? 30 days out? etc...

Yes the rate was around 30 days in advance - but it might have been out sooner - but that's when we were looking around one Sat night :rotfl2: and saw it, discussed it, then booked a few hours later! :yay:

Heather

Remember that you are booking a room type - not a specific category.

It's a good idea if you book say a low end category. But if you book a say a 4A and the switch to a VGT you could end up with a 5E.

So the IGT rates I booked 5 days ago just disappeared for our 12/8 Fantasy cruise, but now the VGT rates are up and for an add'l $450 for a party of 4, we could have done a VGT! The current lowest price on an inside room for 4 is now $1000 more than what I paid a few days ago with the IGT.

I'm still happy we did IGT though because I haven't done an inside room on DCL and my kids have told me before they want the virtual porthole, and the only way I could justify doing this cruise (I just got back from a Wonder cruise last month) was because it was rock bottom price.

So the IGT rates I booked 5 days ago just disappeared for our 12/8 Fantasy cruise, but now the VGT rates are up and for an add'l $450 for a party of 4, we could have done a VGT! The current lowest price on an inside room for 4 is now $1000 more than what I paid a few days ago with the IGT.

I'm still happy we did IGT though because I haven't done an inside room on DCL and my kids have told me before they want the virtual porthole, and the only way I could justify doing this cruise (I just got back from a Wonder cruise last month) was because it was rock bottom price.

Chances are good you'll end up with an upgrade... There are few inside and ocean view rooms. These are the rooms that can still be sold at the last minute...

During the summer, an OGT was less than $100 from an IGT total for four people on a five day cruise. But the jump to VGT was over $800.

We of course booked OGT and ended up on a 5E aft room...

We saved $1100 not picking our room with the VGT rate. I will do that any day to save that kind of money :) That is for 2 adults and one child.

We paid $7000 for 2A2C in a 5B for the 8/25 Magic cruise out of NY on opening day. Shortly after the 75 day mark VGT came out & the price would have been $5600. I didn't bother to cancel & rebook since the savings would have only been $50 after losing the deposit.

I have a Fantasy cruise booked for next year. I'm definitely going to watch the trend. If I feel there will be VGT I'll cancel before the 75 day mark and rebook the VGT when it comes out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter