How much better is John Wayne Airport?

slpeters

DIS Veteran
Getting ready to book airfare and SNA is more but not that much more. What if anything makes it a better option than LAX? We fly out of O'Hare so big airports don't really bother us. Is there something else?

SNA is significantly more conveniently located for DLR purposes. Getting in and out of SNA is also much easier. It is a small airport -- close to the freeway -- an easy Uber/Lyft ride to/from the parks. NO comparison to getting to/from the parks from LAX. The only thing that makes LAX more advantageous would be significantly lower fares and direct/non-stop flights. But for not that much more in fares, I'd go with SNA every time.

You also need to add the difference in shuttle/uber/lyft cost to your math equation as that’s cheaper using SNA. As far as how much extra time off your vacay if you use LAX imho add an extra hour each direction if you use LAX over SNA.

(LAX’s problem is not that’s it’s big it’s that it was badly designed.)

Getting ready to book airfare and SNA is more but not that much more. What if anything makes it a better option than LAX? We fly out of O'Hare so big airports don't really bother us. Is there something else?
It's much closer, much easier to navigate (we fly often and deal with large airports all the time, but it is much more convenient to not have to) and if ur needing transportation; we find getting/finding it at SNA is much easier than LAX....and again without traffic it's tskes about 1/2 time to get to Disney.. with traffic it can save even more time.

Just flew into LAX yesterday and am at DLR at this moment. In line for MM LOL.

I will always choose SNA over LAX when possible. My flight was delayed an hour. Got out to catch an Uber at about 3pm. It took 75 minutes to get to DLR with the driver using a mix of FastTrak and car pool lanes. Traffic! Argh. One of the reasons I left SoCal in 1992. SNA is closer and thus traffic impacts you less.

LAX is so anti-magic LOL. As PPs have said SNA is closer and smaller. Plus it just FEELS nicer. More magical. I like SNA. I hate LAX.

I flew LAX because I could get here direct from Colorado Springs. SNA would require a drive to Denver or connecting flight for me. I paid for that convenience with LA traffic.

Hope that helps.

:wizard:

I’m a native Chicagoan too and have flown in/out of ORD hundreds of times :-). When I’d fly to LA, it was always into LAX. But if we were going solely to Disneyland, it was always SNA. Smaller and far more convenient. We’d take a Super Shuttle to our hotel and it was approx. a 20-minute trip. From LAX it would be at least 45 and considerably more with traffic. If the price difference is small, I’d definitely go with SNA. The other thing is that when it comes time to leave, it’ll take less time to get to the airport. If your return flight is in the evening, you can still spend the better part of the day at the park.

Small aside: one time as we collected our bags at SNA, a limo driver awaited his passenger with her name on a sign: Dawn Wells. I waited to see if it was the same DW who played Mary Ann on Gilligan’s Island. It wasn’t :-(.

Last edited:

For me, it’s all about cost when choosing between SNA and LAX. Yes, SNA is closer to DL, but for me, coming from Canada, it’s easier to get a lower priced flight, better flight times, and a better chance of a non-stop flight. If you’re taking Uber/Lyft to and from the airport, traffic and airport location won’t matter as much, it’s only cost of the ride that will be the difference. If I’m saving enough $$ on the flights by flying I to LAX, I’m okay with paying a little more for the Uber ride.

In short: I’ve flown into SNA twice and LAX twice...and I’m more inclined to chose LAX now because:
1- cheaper flights
2- better flight times
3- more nonstop flight from where I live

If the flight times and schedule available to you are acceptable for either LAX or SNA then I would definitely pick and even pay slightly more for SNA.

As others have said, SNA is much closer so that could mean more park time on your day of arrival and/or departure depending on your plans. This usually does factor in for us. If you are renting a car that is also much simpler at SNA.

The only benefit to LAX is potentially non stop flights. I hate LAX so much, but recently have had pretty bad luck with connecting flights out of SNA to Orlando (the issues were always in the connecting cities), so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and fly out of LAX next time I have to go somewhere that would require a connection out of SNA.

To answer your question directly, SNA is SO MUCH BETTER.

If you can find a somewhat direct flight from Chicago to sna go SNA.
I can never find anything that doesn't add at least two hours to the flight so I always go to LAX.

If you can find a somewhat direct flight from Chicago to sna go SNA.
I can never find anything that doesn't add at least two hours to the flight so I always go to LAX.

United has nonstop flights between SNA and Chicago.

I fly several times a month and there has to be a VERY compelling reason (like long haul non stop or only flight options) and signifiant savings (like hundreds of $$) to choose LAX over SNA IMO.

It is no worse than any other major airport (expect for the traffic) but once things start going south the problems compound much quicker they tend to do at the smaller stations like SNA.

It is fine when it is good, but when it goes bad it tends to go bad big time at the major hubs.

I fly out of midway. If ohare was closer though I would definitely take united non stop

Ah, okay. My best friend lives in Chicago but she is equal distance from both and flies out of O'hare when she comes here.

Is it really that much of a difference, distance wise? I guess the question would be, would you rather deal with Chicago area traffic or LA traffic? Might consider which experience is more of a hassle.

Ah, okay. My best friend lives in Chicago but she is equal distance from both and flies out of O'hare when she comes here.

Is it really that much of a difference, distance wise? I guess the question would be, would you rather deal with Chicago area traffic or LA traffic? Might consider which experience is more of a hassle.

LA traffic is way worse than Chicago. Only downside of O'Hare is having to fly on United.

Ohare is an hour and a half with good traffic from my house.
Since I'm not driving once I get to L.A I'm not really phased by the traffic lol. But if I was renting a car then without a doubt I'm flying into sna

Ohare is an hour and a half with good traffic from my house.
Since I'm not driving once I get to L.A I'm not really phased by the traffic lol. But if I was renting a car then without a doubt I'm flying into sna

Gotcha. Just be aware that simply riding as a passenger in a car or bus through LA traffic is often enough to make you want to pull your hair out. It can be absolutely infuriating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter