How many snow days have your schools had so far this winter?

NE Ohio. We have had 4 so far this school year. Lake effect snow bands that hit at just the right time in the morning.

Usually we have about 1 snow day a year but just in the month of January we had 3 along with 4 delayed starts. Very unusual for our area

None, but hopes are high for Thursday.

I'm on Long Island.

February tends to be our snowy month.

ETA: It's looking good for tomorrow-- the forecast is 6-10".

The ONLY downside is that we're having a blood drive tomorrow. With a Senior class of 600+ kids, we normally donate a LOT of blood. Not sure if or when they would reschedule.

Last edited:
Western Washington 10 days so far cancelled and several late starts.

2 days built into the year.

Now last day of school is slated for June 23 IF they get a wavier from the state for some of the days if not school will go into July.

Grandkids are not happy.

None that I know of in SW New Jersey. We're expecting some sloppy weather Wednesday night into Thursday and I expect a few districts may preemptively cancel classes for Thursday.

And just now there was a scare tactic teaser on TV about "how much snow to expect."

We've had zero days. It's been a weird winter and hasn't snowed since mid-December though. For years, our schools never had snow days. Before the 2011 Groundhog Day blizzard, they hadn't had a snow day since the catastrophic 1967 blizzard. Since 2011 though, we've had a couple years with closures at the elementary schools due to excessively cold temps (thank you, polar vortex) since the majority of kids in our area walk to school.

My son is in 8th grade and wants a snow day soooooooooo bad because 8th graders don't have to make up the days, LOL. This winter isn't cooperating so far.

No cancelled classes in Chicago in 1979? I remember reading about the poor response from the city in clearing streets, etc. It led to the then-mayor getting booted from office at the following election.

South central PA here

0 snow days
2 2-hour delays

I'm hoping for a delayed start on Thursday but no snow days! I don't want to have to make them up.

Bangor, Maine. We've had 2 so far BUT it's 2am, about 3" has fallen so far tonight, it's supposed to keep going for a bit then swap over to freezing rain/ice, so I expect we'll at least be delayed in the morning (Wednesday). It looks like we are supposed to get whacked on Thursday, so we might have a snow day then. I don't really care right now. I don't mind going a little longer in June, as the weather up here isn't really warm in June. I DO wish we started school after Labor Day instead of before, though. August and early September weather is gorgeous up here, much nicer than early June!

ETA... Update... Two hour delay for today (Wednesday), so still only 2 snow days this year. Last day of school looks like June 13, unless we have more snow days!

Last edited:
I'm in Ontario.

The buses have been cancelled twice, but schools haven't been closed at all.

Snow days don't change our school calendar at all. The year is built assuming there will be a few, but if there isn't, the kids just have more class days.

Here in Maryland we haven't had any yet. No delayed openings either. Snow starting tonight and into tomorrow so I am watching that. I really don't expect much snow because we seem to be on the southern edge of the storm coming through.

NC; I think two so far. We were supposed to get a significant storm and ended up with a few inches then covered with ice. Where we live you can have drastic differences within a county. The eastern part could get an inch and the western part four inches.

I think you live where I live. ;)

ETA: Not even kidding, I really think you do, LOL.

LOL, probably, because our high school is ridiculous and probably the only one in the world that will only close if the police forces them to do it! lol

Without getting too specific...a Chicago suburb that has a big creek/river running through it, by any chance? ;) (a river other than the alleys, of course! And, if you get that joke, then we really ARE neighbors! haha)

Last edited:
Snow day today! Started with a two hour delay, then closed. I'm glad DD18 won't have to drive in it. They can really use a day to work on their speech contest entries too, so hopefully they are being productive at home today.

I live near Boston. We are at 0 snow days, dismissals, and delays.
Yesterday all afterschool programs/sports etc were cancelled. It was hard since many parents had to somehow get out of Boston with all the parade traffic.

Today we should have had a delay due to the iciest road conditions I remember in my 16 years living on my street which is a steep hill. It wasn't possible to ride or walk down safely until the street was sanded at 8:45am. Fortunately my dh's job has some flexibility. At one point the city did announce on Facebook and Twitter that tardies wouldn't count but absences would since it is supposed to be in the 50s.

Even with today's 50s, we are now expecting 8-12 inches tomorrow so I predict a snow day tomorrow and even possibly Friday since I don't know when it is expected to stop.

The system my wife teaches for has been closed twice in my area of Michigan. The first time I understand because of the amount of snow we got the night before. The second time wasn't needed.

My own kids have had none, they did have 2 delayed days.

The district where I work has had two. The same days my kids were on a delay.

It was because I work north of where I live and the snow hit harder north of the city. My district includes that area.

Shoreline CT, bordering along the CT River...

My kids have had 2 delays, one today, not sure why, Could of been icy in one of our towns that we share the regionals school system with??

One early dismissal last week and I picked my kids up and boy was that a scary drive as our middle school is up a 1/2 mile hill...slid up and made it down with one area of sliding and our HS has a little hill to get up to and I nearly didn't make it. The sanders came after. Those buses were inching down the hill!

And Thursday will either be a delay or cancellation but I am betting on cancellation.

Just a bit south from where you are and we also had a 2 hour delay yesterday. I think they were worried about freezing rain. Plus another delay and an early closing or 2 so far this year. I think they are definatley going to be closing us all tomorrow. I know my kids are praying they will!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter