How many pounds of Chicken Salad for 20?

andrews_dad

DIS Veteran
About 20 adults and 6 toddlers. Focusing on feeding the adults (kids will be getting somnething else), we want to provide Tuna Salad and Chicken Salad. Mostly family, so we know it is something everyone (except one person) will eat. How many pounds do we need for about 20 adults? :confused3 We'll have chips and other sides, desserts, etc.

Well, are you going to use chicken breast or leg and thighs or a combination of the 2.

I am not even sure I would know how to figure that out. I use about 6 boneless breasts and can make about 4 cups, that will make about 8 thick sandwiches for us.

I would guess maybe 1 breast/leg/thigh per person, at least, and then add a bit more. I do like to add a couple of legs or thighs.

Suzanne

i think you can assume 1/4 # per person...so 5# for everyone ...maybe 7 if they are big eaters. But some will also eat tuna, yes? I think 7 would be plenty.

I assume that you are making sandwiches...when i worked in a deli, we always weighed the portions of meats and things like chicken salad, tuna salad for sandwiches and we always used 1/3 lb per sandwich. However, those were big servings (for subs and hard rolls) so I think that if you are doing regular sandwiches on bread 5lbs of salad will be enough for 20 adults.

Since you also have a few kids in there and will be offering both, I'd probably make a minimum of 3 1/2 lbs of each so that you won't run out of one or the other before people get to choose if they have a strong preference.

May be overkill, but four or five pounds of each? You could send extras home with people - if you didn't want to keep it yourself and use it for sandwiches.

I assume that you are making sandwiches...when i worked in a deli, we always weighed the portions of meats and things like chicken salad, tuna salad for sandwiches and we always used 1/3 lb per sandwich. However, those were big servings (for subs and hard rolls) so I think that if you are doing regular sandwiches on bread 5lbs of salad will be enough for 20 adults.

Since you also have a few kids in there and will be offering both, I'd probably make a minimum of 3 1/2 lbs of each so that you won't run out of one or the other before people get to choose if they have a strong preference.

Cool. Thanks for the info!!

I am not making the salad, just placing an order online at my local grocery! Me and cooking do not mix! I grill, but the kitchen is not my domain! :laughing:

A generous serving of Chicken or Tuna salad would probably be around 1/2 cup. A regular serving would be closer to 1/4-- but you may need to plan on 2 of those per person. Part of it may depend on how you are serving it-- on large croissants, small rolls, as an actual salad or regular sliced bread because it will be somewhat different amounts for each. You would have to convert the cups to pounds, but since recipes are written by volume, and most places you purchase also sell it by volume, you may need to know a "weight". I would just figure 1/2 cup per person/sandwich but also plan on having at least 30 sandwiches for those that want 2.

I like to use this site when cooking for a crowd: http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/index.html to help me with my planning.

If it were me, I'd get about 1/2 lb per person, to make sure I didn't run out. I always figure about 1/2 lb of any meat or main dish per person for a get-together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter