How many in Iraq/Afghanistan

remyandhollandsmommy

<font color=purple>Don't be afraid of the dark<br>
After reading some of the threads, I was wondering how others are doing with loved ones overseas...
My DH will be leaving next month for Iraq. He just got back at the end of November for the birth of our second DD and it's weird how it feels like he was only here a short while before heading back. I have been trying to think of the pros of him being gone again (are there any true ones:rolleyes: ) and I thought about the extra (LOL) money from deployments, how I wouldn't have to trip over so much military issued crap, the trail of dirty laundry from the front door to the bathroom, and the piles of boots in my living room (there are five pair right this minute). I am going "home" to Fl for the summer so my girls can spend time with my family and try not to dwell on their daddy being gone. Noone has met my new baby so that will be nice. DH was supposed to go for a vacation with us in July until we got notice of deployment and can't take leave now because he's "oncall" to leave anytime. I feel really sad that my new DD(6mos) will most likely not remember DH when he gets back and hopefully will not start screaming when she sees him again (neighbor's son did this and her DH cried).:( My neighbor's DH leaves the same time as my DH for the same place so we decided to spend at least 2 days each week together (her son is DDs(5) best friend, and her "baby" is 6 mos older than mine). This way we don't fall into that depressed hermit state. Some of ya'll know what I am talking about. I did this when I was pregnant last deployment for a few months and refuse to do it again! This year I am keeping busy with DDs ballet, DDs school, and whatever else I think of. I might even take a flight to FL for the holidays so the girls are surrounded by family (not sure yet). Anyway, lots of love and hugs to all who have loved ones on deployment and safe returns to all!:grouphug:

:grouphug: My ds is in Iraq, but I can't imagine how hard it must be to have your DH over there. Wow, how very brave and stong you must be. It sounds like you really have a great plan for the summer at keeping everyone busy and their minds off what is going on. Good luck to you and your family!:grouphug:

Hi!
My dh is in Iraq. He has been there since March. His MOB station was Ft Drum so I spent a couple of days in Feb there. I hope it has gotten warmer up there! A co-worker's son is stationed at Ft Drum and is leaving next month for Iraq. You guys have been having a lot of deployments!!

The communication with my dh has been great. He's in the northern part. We do the Yahoo IM with voice a lot. Saves money on phone calls!! They have wireless internet access in their rooms so he can talk from the comfort of his room. One good thing about the National Guards, most of them have a trade other than what they are doing for the NG. So one of the guys sets up computer networks, so he was able to set this up for them.

Its great that you are setting up a support system. I'm sure it must be difficult not having family around.
Here's a great big
:grouphug:

Auggietina-
While by Ft Drum standards it is decent outside (60s), I can't help but pine for the Fl weather I grew up with. But after -20s, and worse, in the winter it is strange how the 30s will have you outside in a tank top and pair of shorts. Go figure?!:rolleyes:
I hope your DH stays safe and comes home soon. You are lucky to be able to keep in contact with him. Last deployment, my DH was in the field away from the camps so he was lucky to call once every two weeks. It sucks when you have a five minute phone call and have so much to say. Almost as bad as missing that call. Isn't it funny how a phone call at 2am used to make you think someone is hurt, but now it is a normal thing?!
As for deployments here at "lovely" Ft. Drum...well, it is known as the most deployed base in the country. DH likes that, but not me. I am trying to convince him to get transfered to Ga, but this base sucks you in and doesn't like to give you up. LOL.
I "try" to be strong for my family, but have to admit there are those days where I throw fits and cry at the "injustice" of not having my DH home like NORMAL people do. But ya gotta suck it up and press on, ya know?
:grouphug: to everyone!

*Angela

I hear ya! What I wouldn't do to have a normal day again! But you have your good days and your bad days. Its amazing how quickly your day can change one way or the other.

As far as being the strong one, that is easier said than done. But again, you do it and you can do it!

I have gone over to the "no news" zone. That has helped a lot. I don't watch the news, read the paper. If I didn't hear about it from dh, then I don't need to know about it. Some might think that is wrong and I would want to know what is happening in Iraq, but for my sanitys sake, I can't.

I hope your dh's journey is safe as well. I don't know what is going to happen there at the end of June.

I'm crossing my fingers and my toes that dh will get his R&R this summer!

DH is still finishing training (21 months and counting!) but most of his classmates have gotten dates to go overseas by September this year. We're betting on August, but won't know when and where until we PCS in a couple weeks.

DH is slated to go but we don't a date yet. Supposedly orders have come down, they are just sitting on them. But it sounds like they'll start leaving in late July and everyone will be over by the end of August.

Seems like alot of military is deploying in the next couple of months. Hope everyone stays safe.
DH has two weeks before he leaves and it is a total madhouse around here! You should see the pile of stuff in my living room, a real fire hazard LOL. I asked DH if he was ever coming back since it seems like he is moving to Iraq. After the holiday (thank you for a four day weekend) we have to visit JAG and update the will and get a new POA since the old one expires soon. He is trying to take a few days of leave next week so that he can finish some essays for school. He has that online military college and is almost done with a course and is spending all his free time trying to finish it. I also need him to take care of some stuff around the house before he goes...like I said a MADHOUSE.
Hugs and safe returns to all!! :grouphug:

I am 89 days down with a 109 days left in the deployment my boyfriend (Im 30 he is 31) is on in Iraq. Being a military gf/wife/bf/husband is like no other relationship is in the world. As much as civialians can say they are sorry they just dont understand how strong we have to be during these times. Its not about being a strong person its about HAVING to be a strong person and when you dont know anything different and you make it look easy it usually isnt. I havent slept in our bed in 88 nights. I refuse to. I just cant do it. I have 110 more nights to go until we are done. WE ALMOST HALF WAY THERE!! I have my good days and I have my bad days and I have the days where I dont want to see the sun. I go thru a range of emotions everyday..but one enotion is always there and that is missing him so badly it feels like half of me is torn away and I am left here to bleed to death. I wish you all the luck and bravery in the world and do not be afraid to own this deployment as yours too!

A girlfriend to a Navy Corpsman serving with the Marines in Iraq.

And so it begins for us as well. DH leaves in the morning (Memorial Day....how appropritate) He is spending some alone time with the kids right now, DD has been sick to her tummy for the last week, DS...well he just isn't talking about it without tearing up. Me?....I'm numb....I don't want to do this, but DH has a higher calling and that is to protect our freedoms here and abroad he does it with pride and without question. I will follow his lead and try to be brave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter