How long does the spinning last on Mission: SPACE?

klacey1

DIS Veteran
I've decided to finally try Mission: SPACE Orange team on my next trip. I don't get motion sick at all on rides or transportation, but the reports of how MSO does people in do have me a bit freaked out! I'm planning on getting and wearing anti-nausea bands and following the advice re: eyes forward and head back at all times. I do prefer knowing what to expect, though—how long does the intense spinning last? The duration of the ride? Or is it in random spurts of 30 seconds throughout? TIA!!!

—how long does the intense spinning last? The duration of the ride?

Yes. But, the angle (and speed, AFAIK) varies to achieve various effects, some more "intense" than others.

is done in intervals to achieve the sensation of taking off and being in space. It is intense.
Like the poster above I found the enclosed capsule horrible is like a coffin and I had a panick attack the first time I rode it when there wasn’t a soft version, there was no time to evacuate, so I calmed and the spinning wasn’t as bad as the claustrophobic feeling. All this was 12 years ago, I have rode it twice since.

I consider myself seasoned when it comes to theme parks. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie. I never get motion sickness, 3D simulators are fine - rollercoasters; the bigger the better! I love everything at Busch Gardens, for example.

I rode MSO on my last trip... Never again. Ever.

I physically felt the spinning - although staring straight ahead and keeping my eyes open; and thought I was going to pass out at several points. I also never considered myself claustrophobic until I went on MSO. Was not an enjoyable experience for me. Once and done. Gave me a headache for hours.

It's the fact you KNOW you're spinning, but your eyes and head tell a different story, because of the quasi-3D video you're seeing on the screen in front of you.

It's been many years now but I remember spinning for a couple hours or so after getting off the ride.

I dont get motion sickness at all. Can watch 3D/Imax movies, can ride Soarin/Star Tours no problem, can ride any and every rollercoaster and love it...

...I can't do Mission Space Orange side. I've done it twice and both times I said I was never going on it again.

Being in the enclosed capsule you won't know you're spinning at all. The G forces parts where the real spinning comes in only lasts for probably 10-15 seconds at a time.

I've rode every coaster at Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Disney, and Six Flags New Orleans..and Mission Space is the most intense ride I've been on

You can't actually "Feel" the spinning like the teacups. It's pressure. You feel the G force when it launches, lands etc. Me and my 6 year old rode it so many times I lost count. My wife said what the heck and rode with our 6 year old and said never again lol. My 3 year old rode the green more than a few times and loved it She can't wait till shes tall enough for the orange mission!

IMG_2023.JPG

Thank you so much, everyone! I think it's just the kind of thing I'll have to try and see how it goes! And hopefully those bands help if it does give me an adverse reaction.

You can't actually "Feel" the spinning like the teacups. It's pressure. You feel the G force when it launches, lands etc. Me and my 6 year old rode it so many times I lost count. My wife said what the heck and rode with our 6 year old and said never again lol. My 3 year old rode the green more than a few times and loved it She can't wait till shes tall enough for the orange mission!

View attachment 313741
Your daughter is very brave and adorable!!

I can't handle spinning. Will never do the Teacups again.

But I got up the courage to try Mission Space Orange for the first time last visit (after all the grandkids rode and said you really couldn't tell it was spinning). As others have said, the G-forces are pretty intense, but I could not tell that we were spinning (though I knew it was), and I had no nausea at all.

Now that they have tamed down Mission Space Green so much, I will probably always ride the Orange side in the future.

I used some Motion Eaze drops behind the ears, and I think they really help. I had absolutely no nausea on Flight of Passage twice, unlike our previous trip where I forgot the ME drops (and it took about an hour after riding Flight of Passage for my stomach to return to normal).

I don't feel the spinning,I just feel what the ride intends to do which is feel the force of the G's at certain points in the ride(the lift off,the slingshot and landing).With that said I'm not a fan of the ride,partly because of how confined you feel and partly because I just find it somewhat boring,some simulators are more rerideable than others,FoP,very rerideable,M:S after riding it 5-10 times it just became a "meh" ride for me.

I like the green side. I tried the orange side on last trip. Never again. Ughhhh. I got so dizzy. And i didn’t think the G force added anything special to the ride. Except queasiness. Similar to sea sickness.

Good luck if you try the orange side!

It's my favorite ride at Epcot. From all you can see above, you're not going to know how you react to it, until you ride it. I don't personally feel the spinning. As people say, you feel the intense G force sensation upon "take off", which lasts for probably 15 seconds. Then you get to a period of "weightlessness". Then you get the intense G force feeling again as you slingshot around the moon. On your mars approach, you have some left and right motion, and a little bit of reverse G on the landing approach. I can see how people with motion sickness or claustrophobia can have problems with the ride... but I like it!

Mission Space question here from someone who has never been on it: If I get FastPasses for the ride for both people in my party, do we both have to do the same side? I would like to do the orange and my boyfriend wants to play it safe with the green. I’m aware we might not get to ride at the same time because the lines will be different, but could we still go through different parts with the same FastPass?

Last edited:
Mission Space question here for someone who has never been on it: If I get FastPasses for the ride for both people in my party, do we both have to do the same side? I would like to do the orange and my boyfriend wants to play it safe with the green. I’m aware we might not get to ride at the same time because the lines will be different, but could we still go through different parts with the same FastPass?

Yes. The FP does not differentiate between the two sides. You can use yours on orange and his on green.

Last edited:
Mission Space question here for someone who has never been on it: If I get FastPasses for the ride for both people in my party, do we both have to do the same side? I would like to do the orange and my boyfriend wants to play it safe with the green. I’m aware we might not get to ride at the same time because the lines will be different, but could we still go through different parts with the same FastPass?

Yes, you can enter FP line together. Before you get to FP line a CM will give you a green card or orange card depending on which side you want to ride. Then depending on which card you have another CM will split you in to separate lines for orange and green at the point where you merge with standby queue.

As some others have said, the spinning manifests itself as G Forces. It doesn't feel like spinning at all, and I'm a guy who is a bit sensitive to spinning rides, like the Tea Cups. Of course, you do have to follow the "rules": head back, eyes staring forward, and don't close your eyes. If you're not prone to motion sickness, I think you'll be fine.

I've decided to finally try Mission: SPACE Orange team on my next trip. I don't get motion sick at all on rides or transportation, but the reports of how MSO does people in do have me a bit freaked out! I'm planning on getting and wearing anti-nausea bands and following the advice re: eyes forward and head back at all times. I do prefer knowing what to expect, though—how long does the intense spinning last? The duration of the ride? Or is it in random spurts of 30 seconds throughout? TIA!!!
I for one, love this ride. The first time that I rode it, I was a little panicked because I didn't know what to expect or how long the intensity was going to last. Now that I know what to expect, I just sit back and enjoy the ride. I have rode it two or three times back to back. I have no issues with this ride but I know that a lot of people have problems with it.

and Mission Space is the most intense ride I've been on

I didn't even find it intense, the sensation of launching was awesome... but I guess certain people can feel the spinning. I know some people have said you can't - I was definitely aware of it, and it was making me want to pass out (and I don't have a problem on spinning rides).

Maybe it was psychological for me. But seriously, never again! lol

I can't perceive the spinning and I feel like they toned it down since it first opened (I remember coming off of it and walking sideways).

I have gotten pretty queezy on MSO Star tours and Expedition Everest, never to the point of “losing my lunch”.

For me MSO is better than star tours because there is a fan that blows cool air in your face.

I’ve found that if I prep my body correctly I won’t get sick. I use the restroom before getting in line, and make sure I’m well hydrated and have some food (not a lot though) in my stomach. I did this a couple weeks ago and felt great when I got off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter