How long does it take to drop off the rental car at port? - Resolved

Fyi I solved my problem by finding an incredible rental car deal via tips on the March car rental forum in Transportation. I'll be able to keep a car parked at Port Canaveral, and not have to worry about drop off or pick up there. Thanks, everyone, for your caring suggestions!
Thanks for mentioning this tip. I just looked it up. Trying to figure out what we're doing for our June cruise and WDW trip after and would love to hang onto the car "just in case" if it's a reasonable cost...the discount would make it worth it to us...just need to figure out when I'm ready to actually book it.

Thanks for mentioning this tip. I just looked it up. Trying to figure out what we're doing for our June cruise and WDW trip after and would love to hang onto the car "just in case" if it's a reasonable cost...the discount would make it worth it to us...just need to figure out when I'm ready to actually book it.
An amazing thing is that it's refundable. So you can even book it before you're 100% sure.

Thank you for all this info!
I just want to make sure I understand…are you saying that because you found a cheaper rate, it’s now worth it to park the car at the port and pay the parking fees during your cruise to avoid the waiting for car rental switch out?
I read that using my Avis preferred number (for faster car checkout) will cancel out any potential discount mentioned on that March Thread, so I will have to wait in lines

so this really helps if I understand it correctly. we are a family with 5 young kids so waiting on lines matters! Thanks!

I just want to make sure I understand…are you saying that because you found a cheaper rate, it’s now worth it to park the car at the port and pay the parking fees during your cruise to avoid the waiting for car rental switch out?
I read that using my Avis preferred number (for faster car checkout) will cancel out any potential discount mentioned on that March Thread, so I will have to wait in lines

so this really helps if I understand it correctly. we are a family with 5 young kids so waiting on lines matters! Thanks!
Got it done! Thanks for the great tips!!

Thanks for this tip. I hadn't considered renting for the time we would be gone but it works that we pay a little more (including parking at port) but don't have to worry about the shuttles.

It's worth it for me at this price, which is only a bit more than 2 DCL transfers between port & resorts & 2 town car reservations between MCO & resorts would have been, which was my original plan.

It will save time on both embarkation & debarkation day, leaving me more time at the resorts. And even more importantly, it will leave me with a rental car, which could end up being necessary anyway, if I were unlucky enough to test positive at port & be denied boarding. Instead of being put into DCL jail as they tried to find my luggage & a ride for me to the airport, I would be able to just drive away.

I can’t find the thread now, but someone mentioned that you can drop your party off at the port, park and then you will have to take a shuttle from your parked car back to the port entrance to get into queue? Maybe it’s worth returning the car rental and just taking their shuttle to the entrance? Is having it parked there really saving much time? 🤔 it DOES help to know the car is there in case of a positive test. But you have to wait for your luggage regardless, correct?

I can’t find the thread now, but someone mentioned that you can drop your party off at the port, park and then you will have to take a shuttle from your parked car back to the port entrance to get into queue?
At Port Canaveral you quite easily walk from the parking garage to the port building. No shuttle needed (or available). You're probably confusing that with the rental shuttle process, or perhaps some other port.
Is having it parked there really saving much time?
On embarkation day it saves at least an hour of time I would have to budget for dropping off the rental car & taking a shuttle to the port. And on debarkation day it will probably save at least an hour of time that I would have to spend taking a shuttle to the rental car agency and lining up to collect my rental (no "skip the counter" feature at port rental car locations, & everyone is trying to get a car at once, unlike at an airport).

The hour+ each way does matter to me, as I'll be staying one night only at a great resort on both ends of the cruise, and want to enjoy each resort. Adding more time to the vacation isn't possible due to custody and work, so the time I have available is limited and precious. Add to that all of the hassle that would be avoided, not having to do those things. It's a vacation and I just don't want to deal with it. And I'll know that I have a car already, just in case I test positive. And as I mentioned above, I got an amazing car rental deal that doesn't cost much more than 2 DCL transfers between resorts & port plus two car services between the resorts & MCO (my original transportation plan). So lucky for me it all worked out.
it DOES help to know the car is there in case of a positive test. But you have to wait for your luggage regardless, correct?
No, if you have your own car, you don't have to give DCL any luggage prior to testing. At Port Canaveral, you will test in your car. If you test positive, you can just drive away without a wait.

Last edited:
At Port Canaveral you quite easily walk from the parking garage to the port building. No shuttle needed (or available). You're probably confusing that with the rental shuttle process, or perhaps some other port.

On embarkation day it saves at least an hour of time I would have to budget for dropping off the rental car & taking a shuttle to the port. And on debarkation day it will probably save at least an hour of time that I would have to spend taking a shuttle to the rental car agency and lining up to collect my rental (no "skip the counter" feature at port rental car locations, & everyone is trying to get a car at once, unlike at an airport).

The hour+ each way does matter to me, as I'll be staying one night only at a great resort on both ends of the cruise, and want to enjoy each resort. Adding more time to the vacation isn't possible due to custody and work, so the time I have available is limited and precious. Add to that all of the hassle that would be avoided, not having to do those things. It's a vacation and I just don't want to deal with it. And I'll know that I have a car already, just in case I test positive. And as I mentioned above, I got an amazing car rental deal that doesn't cost much more than 2 DCL transfers between resorts & port plus two car services between the resorts & MCO (my original transportation plan). So lucky for me it all worked out.
No, if you have your own car, you don't have to give DCL any luggage prior to testing. At Port Canaveral, you will test in your car. If you test positive, you can just drive away without a wait.
Oh my goodness you've cleared sooo much up for me!!! I wish I could give you 10 thumbs up! My nerves are wearing thin for this trip! haha
so I really appreaciate you taking the time to answer all that.

The only time we did it, it took forever to get the shuttle. They only had one and were waiting for it to fill up before we could leave. We waited 30 minutes to an hour after we had dropped off the car and were ready to leave. This was in 2014. I think it was Enterprise. I am sure it varies by company and day though.
Do you know if it’s walkable?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter