How long do the parks and resorts keep Christmas holiday decorations up in January?

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
I am sailing on the Disney Dream out of Port Canaveral Dec 29-Jan 2 and would like to stay at the Wilderness Lodge (or other resort if that's not available...using DVC points) starting Jan 2nd for a few days. At Disneyland holiday decorations stay up through the first week of January typically and are usually gone by the first weekend. Will I see any decorations during that week after New Year's Day at WDW at the parks and resorts?

Popular response will be that it changes from year to year. We will be going the same week and I've read in other threads that, with the exception of the gingerbread house at GF which has been known to come down as soon as 1/2, many decorations will remain the week of new years until Sunday 1/6, as many kids don't go back to school until 1/7.

One year, they did stay up a bit longer, because of a cold snap. But most of the time, they come down pretty quickly. It is not unusual to go to bed one night at a resort and the next day you walk out to the lobby and the decorations are down.

The elves prefer to work at night!

I stayed at AKL over MLK weekend seven years ago, and when we arrived, the Christmas tree was still up in the lobby. The very next morning, all the decorations were down!

StormalongKay said:
I stayed at AKL over MLK weekend seven years ago, and when we arrived, the Christmas tree was still up in the lobby. The very next morning, all the decorations were down!

Wow!

Sounds like I have a good chance of seeing them at least on Jan 2nd when we arrive. That's good enough for me! :)

Thanks!

we were there last year and the castle and the works were still up on the 4th of jan. I was told by a local that they stay up for the opening and a few days of the marathon, I would look that up and see when its starts in Jan

we were there last year and the castle and the works were still up on the 4th of jan. I was told by a local that they stay up for the opening and a few days of the marathon, I would look that up and see when its starts in Jan

Thank you! I just checked. The marathon weekend is Jan 10-13, 2013. So the decorations are likely to be up at least some places through the first week in Jan 2014. Woot!!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter