How important it is for you to save money on DDP?

jsebsirois

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

We're debating about paying out of pocket for the DDP on our November Trip and we found a way to really make the most of it : we would end with 2 QS per adults and all snacks ''free'' (planned TS and some QS already cover the entire cost).

How was wondering : is it important for you to save money while using the DDP, or you really see it as a way to have your meals prepaid?

Hey everyone,

We're debating about paying out of pocket for the DDP on our November Trip and we found a way to really make the most of it : we would end with 2 QS per adults and all snacks ''free'' (planned TS and some QS already cover the entire cost).

How was wondering : is it important for you to save money while using the DDP, or you really see it as a way to have your meals prepaid?

If you already know you ARE going to save money, what difference does it make?

It's not clear to me the way you worded your post what you mean ." Paying out of pocket" and "DDP" are usually mutually exclusive terms on this board.

It's not clear to me the way you worded your post what you mean ." Paying out of pocket" and "DDP" are usually mutually exclusive terms on this board.

You're right. I was thinking about buying the DDP instead of having free dining promotion :)

Thanks everyone.

We didn't do the DDP on our first trip because I am the type of person that is fine with having a budget and maybe going over it but if I knew we didn't eat as much as we paid for, I would lose my mind. Everyone is different. We will have DDP on our next trip because we booked a free dining bounceback deal. I haven't been able to beat the cost of that package so we are sticking with it!

It would have to save us money because the plan doesn't really suit what/how we'd order, normally. If I'm compromising, I'd better get some other benefit. I don't pre-pay for what I might get. And if I did, I'd want a refund on what I didn't use ;) I'm still real world while in Disney World.

We will splurge on accommodations, which some think is crazy. Everyone has a sticking point.

I "think" we save money bc we do character meals and my kids are still kids on the DDP. That being said I haven't actually done the math and I don't order the most expensive thing on a menu just to maximize the DDP. I'm probably in the minority, but I just like having it all paid for and so I don't have to think about the cash while I'm on the trip. So, maybe we save a little or maybe we break even, but I really don't care because I think it's easier and easy is good on vacation. Although once my kids are considered Disney adults, I might feel differently about it because at 10 I don't think they're going to eat that much more than they do at 9 to justify that cost.

I "think" we save money bc we do character meals and my kids are still kids on the DDP. That being said I haven't actually done the math and I don't order the most expensive thing on a menu just to maximize the DDP. I'm probably in the minority, but I just like having it all paid for and so I don't have to think about the cash while I'm on the trip. So, maybe we save a little or maybe we break even, but I really don't care because I think it's easier and easy is good on vacation. Although once my kids are considered Disney adults, I might feel differently about it because at 10 I don't think they're going to eat that much more than they do at 9 to justify that cost.

Tattylou -
If you think your save or break even, but don't do the math...would you still opt for the ddp if you lost money? I get that it gives some people more peace of mind to have it paid for, even if they knowingly lose money on it, but I don't understand it when folks say, "we might break even or come out ahead..." If you do the math, you might be surprised. You very well might not be surprised as well, I do not know how your family eats/orders. You may be able to save money by paying oop for what you'd normally get. Food for thought.

Tattylou -
If you think your save or break even, but don't do the math...would you still opt for the ddp if you lost money? I get that it gives some people more peace of mind to have it paid for, even if they knowingly lose money on it, but I don't understand it when folks say, "we might break even or come out ahead..." If you do the math, you might be surprised. You very well might not be surprised as well, I do not know how your family eats/orders. You may be able to save money by paying oop for what you'd normally get. Food for thought.

I know and you're probably right, but I think I'm just too lazy to really figure that out.
:rotfl2:

At Disneyland there's no dining plan and we spent about the same there as we did on WDW with DDP.

But, OP question was how important is it to you to save money on the DDP? So, I guess my answer means it's not that important to me to save money on it. Might not be the smartest, but it easier to me for now.

The only reason we ever consider the dining plan is if we can save money by using it. So far, aside from getting it free, we don't so we skip it. I know some people talk about how they love the convenience but the one time we had it for free we didn't find it convenient at all. Yes, it's prepaid, but we can manage that by using gift cards and add savings as well. Keeping track of whether a restaurant is in the plan, what snacks/meals are on the plan or not, what we've used, what we have left, how to best make it worthwhile, and then the craziness we experienced when I got sick and ended up scrambling to use all of our credits at the end of our trip, was very far from convenient.

Last edited:
I do it to prepay my meals. Love coming home from vacation and not owing anything (or, not a lot!). Im sure we dont save money, but the convenience is well worth the little extra we may be spending.

I do it to prepay my meals. Love coming home from vacation and not owing anything (or, not a lot!). Im sure we dont save money, but the convenience is well worth the little extra we may be spending.

That has been our way to go for years. It's so nice to have it all bought and paid for.
That being said, though, I think DH & I are going to try OOP this year and use our AP/DVC dining discounts along the way. It will be an experiment to see which suits us better.

Our group is 4 people, so DDP is a better discount than any room discount we'd get. A smaller group could save more with a room discount.

Our group is 4 people, so DDP is a better discount than any room discount we'd get. A smaller group could save more with a room discount.

I assume you mean FREE dining is a better discount, however, OP is asking about paying for the DDP. The value of FREE dining is a whole 'nuther topic.

I am willing to lose a small amount on the DDP for the continence of not having to worry about who orders what and what we are spending. If I was losing more than $50-$100, then it would be a different story. Most of the time we come out ahead though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter