How I Survived 11 Days at WDW with a Disney-Resistant Husband **2/20 THE END **

I can relate to the last minute-ness! Glad you got there safely! Love Katie's hair flower-- is that a headband or a bow??

I can relate to the last minute-ness! Glad you got there safely! Love Katie's hair flower-- is that a headband or a bow??

Yes - our trip down was very smooth sailing!;)

Katie is actually wearing a headband which has a very large flower on it. Not my favourite to be honest...I find it a bit much. It was her wardrobe pick for the day.:rolleyes:

Yay! Today I was really jonesing for a trip report :D and I was super excited to see yours. It sounds like it's going to be quite an interesting trip!

I was totally rushing around the night before we left, too. I am not one of those people who gets everything done and can relax, either, though I wish I was!!!

That shot of the airplane wing is so cool! I'm interested to hear how the rest of the night went, even if it wasn't as planned...

I was totally rushing around the night before we left, too. I am not one of those people who gets everything done and can relax, either, though I wish I was!!!

That shot of the airplane wing is so cool! I'm interested to hear how the rest of the night went, even if it wasn't as planned...

:laughing: Funny you should mention that shot of the airplane wing! I actually "borrowed" that one from the internet. I usually only rarely borrow photos, and always give credit when I do, but the one time I slipped, someone actually comments on it!:rotfl:

I actually have my own wing photo that I like much more than this one but couldn't find it when I was preparing this post.

I will be replacing it shortly as soon as I find my own!;)

:laughing: Funny you should mention that shot of the airplane wing! I actually "borrowed" that one from the internet. I usually only rarely borrow photos, and always give credit when I do, but the one time I slipped, someone actually comments on it!:rotfl:

I actually have my own wing photo that I like much more than this one but couldn't find it when I was preparing this post.

I will be replacing it shortly as soon as I find my own!;)

That's hilarious! :lmao: I would have never known!! ;)

Of COURSE I'll stick around!!! :goodvibes :banana: What an excellent idea- have one parent rent the car while the rest are on DME & then no worries about the luggage and can have a smaller car- that is an AWESOME tip!! With 5 of us + luggage, we would REALLY need to rent a van or SUV if we were carting our luggage- and as you said, that's much too much $$. Thanks for posting today- I needed a break from weeding my garden. :flower3:

Subbing in! I am so glad you decided to do a TR. I can't wait to see how all the outfits turned out and to see if any of our days overlapped. I just got caught up and will be heading otu shortly to see SATC 2 and your post earlier made me so excited! The theater my best friend and I are going to also has in-theater meals and cocktails (you have to be 21) and last year they had a special SATC Cosmo. Can't wait!

I am really enjoying reading your report and seeing the pictures. The suspense is killing me! haha

:yay: you've arrived. I wish we would have thought about getting off at the Polynesian when we stayed at BLT last January. We did the grand tour. Now I know for next time. And I'm with you about skipping the baggage claim with Magical Express. To me that is the reason the service is Magical.

Of COURSE I'll stick around!!! :goodvibes :banana: What an excellent idea- have one parent rent the car while the rest are on DME & then no worries about the luggage and can have a smaller car- that is an AWESOME tip!! With 5 of us + luggage, we would REALLY need to rent a van or SUV if we were carting our luggage- and as you said, that's much too much $$. Thanks for posting today- I needed a break from weeding my garden. :flower3:

Yeah...I thought it was the best plan too!;) While we missed driving under the Welcome Gates together as a Family, DH and I each had a child to share that with. (And I kinda think since I wasn't there, DH likely made as much of a big deal out of it as I would have done for Declan since he can't remember his last 2 times at 2 and 3 years old.)

I would definitely do it again too! We saved about $150 renting the car at the airport as opposed to on property, (even subtracting 2 days from our 11 day rental) and at least $500 if we had rented a minivan to accomodate all of our luggage!:eek:

Subbing in! I am so glad you decided to do a TR. I can't wait to see how all the outfits turned out and to see if any of our days overlapped. I just got caught up and will be heading otu shortly to see SATC 2 and your post earlier made me so excited! The theater my best friend and I are going to also has in-theater meals and cocktails (you have to be 21) and last year they had a special SATC Cosmo. Can't wait!

Have fun at the theatre for SATC!:goodvibes

I am really enjoying reading your report and seeing the pictures. The suspense is killing me! haha

I will end any suspense now: DH doesn't get won over by the Disney Magic. The report is just filling in the details.:laughing:

:yay: you've arrived. I wish we would have thought about getting off at the Polynesian when we stayed at BLT last January. We did the grand tour. Now I know for next time. And I'm with you about skipping the baggage claim with Magical Express. To me that is the reason the service is Magical.

I am with you on the "magic" about getting off the plane and bypassing the luggage carrousel. Unfortunately we still had to venture over there for the booster seats, but it was nice not having to load up the suitcases. And nice as well to see that our bags did not make the carrousel, meaning that they had been properly bypassed for DME service.;)

Arrival Dinner at Chef Mickey's

The decision about where we would stay our first night was my biggest debate in the pre-trip planning.

While Katie and I loved the Contemporary when we had stayed here last year, the fact that we were arriving late (7pm) and would not have much time to enjoy the Resort before checking out the following morning made me question if a splurge for such a short visit was really justified.

If we were to stay at all, I had already decided that it had to be a Magic Kingdom Tower View, since otherwise, we might as well be somewhere a lot less expensive.

But, it was Katie's Birthday the day before we left, and she specifically wanted to stay at the Contemporary.

The thought of starting off the trip in what I believe to be the nicest room, with the best balcony view on property, was certainly appealing.

Also enticing was the thought of eating a late supper at Chef Mickey's upon arrival, and then simply taking the elevator back to our room, as was the thought of watching Wishes in our pajamas from our balcony before bed.

Ultimately the combination of a great pin code (which gave us the room for $300), and the rationalization that we were paying only $300 for 8 nights at the Beach Club Villas due to the RCI trade, made me decide to throw caution to the wind and book it.

Declan and Chris were first to arrive at the Contemporary, and from what I understand, their check-in was quick, easy, and painless due in part to the fact that we had completed online check-in beforehand. Our request for a high-floor, odd-numbered room was honored, which meant that we would be able to see the Castle from our beds!

IMG_0806.jpg

WDW-Mar2009034.jpg

With check-in out of the way, Chris and Declan headed up to the Concourse for Chef Mickey's where we were all scheduled to meet.

IMG_5873.jpg

After taking the Magical Express to the Polynesian, then the monorail to the Contemporary, Katie and I literally just arrived at the Chef Mickey's Check in Podium as the guys had reached the front of the very long snake-like line of not-so-patiently awaiting guests.

After we were given a buzzer, we were asked if we wanted to pose for the obligatory photo. Of course I wanted to, but Chris was not game. I chalked this up to the long day of travel, and his long wait to check-in before we had arrived and didn't make too much of this. Little did I know, this was a sign of things to come for the rest of the trip.:rolleyes:

While Chris and the kids were waiting for our table to be called, I took the opportunity to cruise through the restaurant to see if I could find the Disfriend who I had planned to meet. By this point, it was after 7pm, and I knew they would have been seated about 1 hour earlier. Given that they were travelling with a 3 year old, I assumed that unless they were late arriving, there was a good chance they had already finished. Unfortunately, that seemed to have been the case as there was no sign of them in the restaurant. So my first planned Dismeet was a bust.:sad2:

Oh well...by the time I made my way back to my family, our buzzer was going off and it was time to eat!

We were all quite happy to be eating at a buffet where we could feed ourselves immediately and not have to wait for our orders. It was already after 7pm, and we were starving!

As always, we found the food and offerings at Chef Mickey's to fit the bill. Not great, not bad, but predictable, filling and decent. We certainly have never gone hungry here, and the kids just love buffets where they usually end up having more say over what ends up on their plates.:rolleyes:

But what keeps us coming back here is not the food. It's the atmosphere, and, of course, the great character interaction with the Fab Five.

Unfortunately, on this occasion, my family wasn't quite up for character interactions. Chris and Declan were both tired after traveling, and Katie started complaining of an upset stomach mid-way through the meal, just after they brought out her Birthday cupcake.

untitledevent-1092.jpg

untitledevent-1091.jpg

We ended up having a brief interaction with Pluto before my 3 table companions got up, leaving me to sit and wait for the bill by myself.:sad2: Not exactly the rockin' good time I had expected at our first character meal of the trip.

No sooner did my family abandon me at the table, and I was then joined by a bewildered Minnie who was wondering where everybody went.:confused3 I don't think she runs into too many families who bolt after Pluto, skipping out on the remaining Fab Five.

Once again, I chalked up the poor dinner experience to the travel (as brief and easy as it was), and hoped that this was not going to be a sign of things to come on the trip. Sadly, it would get worse. :sad2:

After settling our tab, I gathered up my things and met my family out in the lounge area where people were waiting to be seated. I kinda scratched my head about why they had all decided to leave as they certainly hadn't gotten very far. Five more minutes at the table would have ensured that we had at least gotten to see Minnie and Mickey. However, I was moving on, determined to ensure that our first night at Walt Disney World would end on a high note.

UP NEXT: 1st Nite at Disney...CR Tower, Magic Kingom View Room for Wishes....What could possibly go Wrong???

Oh no!! I hate that your family didn't make it through the meal! And that you didn't have your DIS meet. I hope the night gets better!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter