How I love to linger here- a HHI trip report -Complete 4/27

StayAwake

Mouseketeer
Hello to all you out there! After my first successful foray in renting DVC points to go to Aulani in December 2020, I decided to try it again to replace a cruise for March 2021 that was cancelled. Not being interested in spending days in the park wearing a mask, I was thrilled to pick up a reservation for Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. I hope you'll join me as I recap my trip!

Let's start with the basics:

Who: A solo trip for me- "V".

When: March 21-26, 2021

Why: Because winter is long, I had cancelled flight credit that needed to be rescheduled, and it's Disney

Table of Contents

Sunday March 21- Travel day, Poseidon brunch, Nectar Farm Kitchen Dinner
Monday March 22- Mickey waffles, canvas painting, long walks on the beach, One Hot Mama's, Skull Creek Boathouse
Tuesday March 23- Plantation Cafe & Deli, Trip to Savannah, Cahill's Chicken Kitchen, Scott's
Wednesday March 24- Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe, Bikes & Shadow's 3k, Marley's Shrimp & Burger Shack, Beach House, Animation Class, Low Country Backyard
Thursday March 25- Hilton Head Social Bakery, Beach House, One Hot Mama's round 2, Hilton Head Distillery, Tide Me Over
Friday March 26- Stack's, Beach House, Beach House Bar, Flying Home
Wrap-up/Overall Thoughts

Last edited:
Sunday March 21- Travel Day

About the only time I willingly get out of bed at 3am is on a travel day. There's something about the excitement of going somewhere that's not "home" that gets my adrenaline going. That and allowing myself a decaf coffee at the airport- I stopped drinking caffeine on a regular basis 12 years ago, so a decaf for me is like an espresso for normal people.

Of course, having only flown once since March of 2020, it was easy for me to romanticize travel days. I was a little worried about only an hour layover in Atlanta, but figured the first flight out of the day should minimize the likelihood of delays. Ahh... the best laid plans.

It was fun to watch another plane land at the same time we did in Atlanta- I know this isn't the greatest shot, but since I was taking it from across the aisle, I think I did OK.

And then the real fun began. Landed at F concourse. Trek to the train to take me to B concourse where the flight to Hilton Head departs from. Get there in a reasonable amount of time and settle in with my ipad and a library book. After reading for a while, realize that our flight was supposed to have started boarding, but there has been no announcement from the airline personnel manning the gate. Not a good sign. Wait some more. Finally, an announcement that there are mechanical issues and the flight is being delayed, about an hour. Wait some more. Then an announcement that we would be moving to another plane, about 6 gates away. Everyone stands up, grabs their stuff, and treks down the hallway to the new gate. Wait some more. This flight isn't boarding either. New announcement- back to the first gate- problem has been fixed. Everyone stands up, grabs their stuff, and treks back to the first gate.

Then notification comes that the flight is still delayed, but they don't know for how long. Wait some more. Then I get a text on my phone the flight is now departing out of D concourse. Start to get up, but the airline folks say "Don't go yet- let us confirm the move- in case it's wrong and we have to move again.". Wait some more. Yep, flight is moved to D. Everyone stands up, grabs their stuff, and treks down the hallway, back to the train, over to D concourse, and then to the new gate. Isn't flying fun???

Finally leave- we're going to be about 90 minutes late arriving into Hilton Head, which honestly isn't too bad considering all of the movement back and forth. And then we get told that there will be bumpy air the whole flight. And they were right. It was raining in Hilton Head and the flight was pretty bouncy. After we land, we hear there is another flight at our gate, so we have another 15 minute wait on the runway. Hurry up and wait is the name of the game today.

Now, if you've never flown out of Hilton Head airport- you have to know it has 4 gates. And it doesn't have a jetbridge like you are used to in a major airport. Instead they wheel a ramp up to the side of the plane where the door is, and you walk down the ramp and across the pavement to get into the airport. You can imagine how fun that was in the rain. Luckily, it was only about 10 steps from the end of the ramp into the building.

Then, some rental car drama where there was literally no one at the counter for more than 10 minutes to be able to get my car, but I and my hungry tummy were finally on our way. Pro tip- be sure to reserve a car in advance- there aren't that many of them and all of the agencies were essentially sold out to walk-ups.

On to the fun and photos!

I headed to Poseidon, since I knew they had a Sunday brunch until 3 pm, and I wasn't sure what time I would make it. No reservations either, which meant that a 2pm arrival still had a 25 minute wait for a table. There was patio seating, but due to the weather, all the sides of the awning were rolled down, so I decided not to bother waiting longer for an outside table and accepted whatever I got. Since the restaurant is right around the corner from Kroger, I did pop over there and pick up sparkling water and a few snacks to have in the room while I was waiting.

I started with a Bellini, which was delicious, and the seafood crepes: shrimp, scallops, and crab, tucked into crepes and covered in lobster sauce, with grits on the side instead of breakfast potatoes.

Thoroughly enjoyable and a great start to my trip. I could feel the travel stress melting away. It was just a quick 5 minute car ride to my first sight of

It had mostly stopped raining by then, but things were a bit slick as I climbed the stairs to check-in. I had done online check-in in advance, but I don't know that it really saved me any time. Still, the CM was great and did an awesome job explaining the layout of the resort and offering some suggestions for what to do since my room wasn't ready yet. I decided to head over & park outside of building 25 to get to the swimming pool/Tide Me Over area to sign up for some activities and start my trip off right with...

Dole Whip! My #1 favorite Disney snack. And even better- the CM at Tide Me Over gave me some extra pixie dust with a sprinkle-covered cake pop when he learned it was my first visit to HHI. What a nice (and delicious) surprise!

It was still pretty cold and windy, so instead of eating outside with a view of this:

I popped inside Community Hall and ate both my treats in warmth.

By the time I was finished, my phone had buzzed that my room was ready: 1215 back near the lodge- not surprising since I had a Studio reserved.

I had watched some YouTube video tours, so I thought I knew what to expect, but I was a tiny bit disappointed with how small my balcony was- I'll have to go find which room I saw on the video where the studio had a giant balcony- this wasn't that room.

But ultimately I ended up loving the balcony anyway and it became one of my favorite spots to hang out, read, bird watch, and people watch. I know the view doesn't look like much, but I enjoyed watching how the tide would change during the day and the tree really shaded my balcony from the view of others so it felt very private most of the time.

This spot inspired the title of this trip report- it's from the song "On the Front Porch" written by the Sherman Brothers from the film Summer Magic. It's not exactly a front porch, but sitting on the rocking chair on the balcony (not squeaky, thankfully) had the same mood.

After getting unpacked and relaxing for a bit, it was time to head out for dinner. My choice: one of the newest SERG group restaurants: Nectar Farm Kitchen. They are right next to Marley's Shrimp & Burger Shack, near Sea Pines, for those who know the area. I arrived around 6 pm and was able to get a table right away, although it was too cold for outside dining. They mentioned that they are much busier for breakfast and lunch, so if you don't want a long wait, dinner is the time to eat there.

I started with a Southern Sangria: Cabernet, Apple Liquor, Sweet Potato infused simple syrup, ginger ale, cranberry juice & orange juice.

I then got a biscuit basket containing buttermilk & sweet potato biscuits with honey, butter, and fruit compote. These were really good but texture was more like a non-crumbly cornbread than a biscuit.

I also got an order of deviled eggs and was surprised to see how they were presented

It's not often you see square eggs! These had orange marmalade on them, and were strangely addicting.

For the main course, I got the BBQ Country Ribs- peach BBQ, Mac & Cheese, Collard Greens w/ Bacon

The Mac & Cheese was the best part of this dish. The ribs were fall off the bone tender, but the sauce was strongly flavored with a spice like cumin that just overwhelmed the sauce for me. The greens were done well but they're not my favorite Southern dish and this didn't change my mind.

After rolling myself out of the restaurant with a to-go box filled with biscuits and their accompanying sauces, I headed back to the room for an early bedtime. Day 1 complete!

Sunday March 21- Travel Day

About the only time I willingly get out of bed at 3am is on a travel day. There's something about the excitement of going somewhere that's not "home" that gets my adrenaline going. That and allowing myself a decaf coffee at the airport- I stopped drinking caffeine on a regular basis 12 years ago, so a decaf for me is like an espresso for normal people.

Of course, having only flown once since March of 2020, it was easy for me to romanticize travel days. I was a little worried about only an hour layover in Atlanta, but figured the first flight out of the day should minimize the likelihood of delays. Ahh... the best laid plans.

It was fun to watch another plane land at the same time we did in Atlanta- I know this isn't the greatest shot, but since I was taking it from across the aisle, I think I did OK.

And then the real fun began. Landed at F concourse. Trek to the train to take me to B concourse where the flight to Hilton Head departs from. Get there in a reasonable amount of time and settle in with my ipad and a library book. After reading for a while, realize that our flight was supposed to have started boarding, but there has been no announcement from the airline personnel manning the gate. Not a good sign. Wait some more. Finally, an announcement that there are mechanical issues and the flight is being delayed, about an hour. Wait some more. Then an announcement that we would be moving to another plane, about 6 gates away. Everyone stands up, grabs their stuff, and treks down the hallway to the new gate. Wait some more. This flight isn't boarding either. New announcement- back to the first gate- problem has been fixed. Everyone stands up, grabs their stuff, and treks back to the first gate.

Then notification comes that the flight is still delayed, but they don't know for how long. Wait some more. Then I get a text on my phone the flight is now departing out of D concourse. Start to get up, but the airline folks say "Don't go yet- let us confirm the move- in case it's wrong and we have to move again.". Wait some more. Yep, flight is moved to D. Everyone stands up, grabs their stuff, and treks down the hallway, back to the train, over to D concourse, and then to the new gate. Isn't flying fun???

Finally leave- we're going to be about 90 minutes late arriving into Hilton Head, which honestly isn't too bad considering all of the movement back and forth. And then we get told that there will be bumpy air the whole flight. And they were right. It was raining in Hilton Head and the flight was pretty bouncy. After we land, we hear there is another flight at our gate, so we have another 15 minute wait on the runway. Hurry up and wait is the name of the game today.

Now, if you've never flown out of Hilton Head airport- you have to know it has 4 gates. And it doesn't have a jetbridge like you are used to in a major airport. Instead they wheel a ramp up to the side of the plane where the door is, and you walk down the ramp and across the pavement to get into the airport. You can imagine how fun that was in the rain. Luckily, it was only about 10 steps from the end of the ramp into the building.

Then, some rental car drama where there was literally no one at the counter for more than 10 minutes to be able to get my car, but I and my hungry tummy were finally on our way. Pro tip- be sure to reserve a car in advance- there aren't that many of them and all of the agencies were essentially sold out to walk-ups.

On to the fun and photos!

I headed to Poseidon, since I knew they had a Sunday brunch until 3 pm, and I wasn't sure what time I would make it. No reservations either, which meant that a 2pm arrival still had a 25 minute wait for a table. There was patio seating, but due to the weather, all the sides of the awning were rolled down, so I decided not to bother waiting longer for an outside table and accepted whatever I got. Since the restaurant is right around the corner from Kroger, I did pop over there and pick up sparkling water and a few snacks to have in the room while I was waiting.

I started with a Bellini, which was delicious, and the seafood crepes: shrimp, scallops, and crab, tucked into crepes and covered in lobster sauce, with grits on the side instead of breakfast potatoes.

Thoroughly enjoyable and a great start to my trip. I could feel the travel stress melting away. It was just a quick 5 minute car ride to my first sight of

It had mostly stopped raining by then, but things were a bit slick as I climbed the stairs to check-in. I had done online check-in in advance, but I don't know that it really saved me any time. Still, the CM was great and did an awesome job explaining the layout of the resort and offering some suggestions for what to do since my room wasn't ready yet. I decided to head over & park outside of building 25 to get to the swimming pool/Tide Me Over area to sign up for some activities and start my trip off right with...

Dole Whip! My #1 favorite Disney snack. And even better- the CM at Tide Me Over gave me some extra pixie dust with a sprinkle-covered cake pop when he learned it was my first visit to HHI. What a nice (and delicious) surprise!

It was still pretty cold and windy, so instead of eating outside with a view of this:

I popped inside Community Hall and ate both my treats in warmth.

By the time I was finished, my phone had buzzed that my room was ready: 1215 back near the lodge- not surprising since I had a Studio reserved.

I had watched some YouTube video tours, so I thought I knew what to expect, but I was a tiny bit disappointed with how small my balcony was- I'll have to go find which room I saw on the video where the studio had a giant balcony- this wasn't that room.

But ultimately I ended up loving the balcony anyway and it became one of my favorite spots to hang out, read, bird watch, and people watch. I know the view doesn't look like much, but I enjoyed watching how the tide would change during the day and the tree really shaded my balcony from the view of others so it felt very private most of the time.

This spot inspired the title of this trip report- it's from the song "On the Front Porch" written by the Sherman Brothers from the film Summer Magic. It's not exactly a front porch, but sitting on the rocking chair on the balcony (not squeaky, thankfully) had the same mood.

After getting unpacked and relaxing for a bit, it was time to head out for dinner. My choice: one of the newest SERG group restaurants: Nectar Farm Kitchen. They are right next to Marley's Shrimp & Burger Shack, near Sea Pines, for those who know the area. I arrived around 6 pm and was able to get a table right away, although it was too cold for outside dining. They mentioned that they are much busier for breakfast and lunch, so if you don't want a long wait, dinner is the time to eat there.

I started with a Southern Sangria: Cabernet, Apple Liquor, Sweet Potato infused simple syrup, ginger ale, cranberry juice & orange juice.

I then got a biscuit basket containing buttermilk & sweet potato biscuits with honey, butter, and fruit compote. These were really good but texture was more like a non-crumbly cornbread than a biscuit.

I also got an order of deviled eggs and was surprised to see how they were presented

It's not often you see square eggs! These had orange marmalade on them, and were strangely addicting.

For the main course, I got the BBQ Country Ribs- peach BBQ, Mac & Cheese, Collard Greens w/ Bacon

The Mac & Cheese was the best part of this dish. The ribs were fall off the bone tender, but the sauce was strongly flavored with a spice like cumin that just overwhelmed the sauce for me. The greens were done well but they're not my favorite Southern dish and this didn't change my mind.

After rolling myself out of the restaurant with a to-go box filled with biscuits and their accompanying sauces, I headed back to the room for an early bedtime. Day 1 complete!
We had our first DVC trip to DHHIR with a one night stay on 3/20/21 in a studio in building 11. (our room had a large balcony)
I saw your picture of 3/21 and I agree it was a cold and windy day. We went to the Beach House that day to relax by the fire and eat lunch.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip!

We had our first DVC trip to DHHIR with a one night stay on 3/20/21 in a studio in building 11. (our room had a large balcony)
I saw your picture of 3/21 and I agree it was a cold and windy day. We went to the Beach House that day to relax by the fire and eat lunch.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip!

I had no idea that there was a fire at the Beach House. How fun!

Do you remember what your room number was that had a large balcony?

Hope you had a wonderful trip as well- feel free to jump in with your thoughts/impressions- and thanks for following along!

We’re booked for a one night stay at the beginning and end of a future WDW trip, mostly to relax and see the HHI resort for the first time. I’m looking forward to reading about your trip!

Very enjoyable and interesting read. I hope you enjoy your time at our favorite resort. I was interested that you went solo. I've been to WDW solo at least 20+ times, and enjoyed it, but never HHI. I'd be interested on your take on going solo there. Seen any good birds on your bird watching yet? If you're seriously looking, there's usually a bald eagle in the trees across the inlet to the right of the Main Lodge as you look at it. And lots of cardinals, carolina chickadees, brown headed Nuthatches, osprey, and cormorants.

Looking forward to continuing to read. We went to HHI 2 years ago and loved it. Heading back in 2 weeks!! Can't wait.

We’re booked for a one night stay at the beginning and end of a future WDW trip, mostly to relax and see the HHI resort for the first time. I’m looking forward to reading about your trip!

Thanks for joining! It was very relaxing, so I can see it being a great way to unwind from the hustle & bustle of a WDW trip, but still keep the magic going for a little longer.

Very enjoyable and interesting read. I hope you enjoy your time at our favorite resort. I was interested that you went solo. I've been to WDW solo at least 20+ times, and enjoyed it, but never HHI. I'd be interested on your take on going solo there. Seen any good birds on your bird watching yet? If you're seriously looking, there's usually a bald eagle in the trees across the inlet to the right of the Main Lodge as you look at it. And lots of cardinals, carolina chickadees, brown headed Nuthatches, osprey, and cormorants.

I did see some cardinals & chickadees every day, and a flock of osprey chowing down as the tide went out one morning. There was one very loud bird who was my alarm clock every morning- not sure what kind it was but it only seemed to sing for about 10-15 minutes between 6:30 and 7 am every day.

Looking forward to continuing to read. We went to HHI 2 years ago and loved it. Heading back in 2 weeks!! Can't wait.

Thanks for joining! I can see why people love the place and keep coming back.

Excited to read your trip report as we are going to HH for the first time this month!

Thanks for reading! Hope your trip will be at least as enjoyable as mine was. :)

Monday March 22

I was a very unhappy camper waking up on Monday morning. Everything you have heard about noise at the resort is true. The people staying in the room above mine apparently thought that dropping bowling balls on the floor every 20-30 minutes and doing laps around their room like it was the motor speedway was a fun plan. This went on til 11:30 or midnight every night. My room was also right by a staircase, and the door to the outside was not tightly fitted, meaning every conversation people had while walking up and down the stairs filtered into my room. Combine that with the people in the adjoining 1 bedroom checking out the connecting door- I woke up sure that someone was breaking into the room before I realized what was happening. To say it was not a restful night's sleep would be putting it mildly. The noisy upstairs neighbors continued the entire trip.

This was the #1 reason I wouldn't recommend HHI. Be sure to bring earplugs, and if you are in a room on an upper floor, please be conscious of how much your noise travels and try to consolidate your trips around the room, especially late at night.

Feeling tired and hungry, I decided to just walk over to Tide Me Over to grab a quick breakfast. I enjoyed the walk along the boardwalk and it seemed that there was a surprise around every corner, like this lovely butterfly garden.

I grabbed an order of these little beauties for breakfast:

Every waffle tastes better when it's a Mickey waffle! :) This is also when I learned that there is a call-ahead ordering service for Tide Me Over. If I'd realized, I could have called in my order from my room and had it ready for pickup by the time I walked over. I would use this tip later in the week.

It was still quite early and cool, but the tables and chairs set up around poolside made a lovely & quiet place to have breakfast.

It also meant I was right where I needed to be for the activity I had selected for the day: Canvas Painting. This was held in the Community Hall. Each person got a canvas, brushes, paint, and to choose a Disney-themed stencil to paint.

I want to preface this by saying that I'm not an artist, but I enjoy crafts like cross-stitch & quilting where you are working off of a pattern. So having the ability to trace the stencil and then google some images to get some ideas was very helpful. You only had about 45 minutes to complete your painting, although the CMs were kind enough to let me stay a few minutes extra to finish mine up. They had 1 family per table due to COVID precautions, and you did have to wear your mask the whole time. Because there were so many people interested, they did schedule a second session.

Here's how mine turned out:

I was very happy with it!

After carefully bringing the painting back to the room, I grabbed the car and headed out to Coligny Beach Park for a long walk on the beach (around 3 miles). I could have gone straight to the Beach House, but since they weren't serving lunch at the Beach House, I thought I'd go somewhere closer to food as I knew I'd be hungry after the walk!

There were very few people wearing masks on the beach, but social distancing was fairly good. I was surprised at the number of people swimming in the Atlantic this time of the year- BRRRR. The beach is absolutely wonderful, with soft powdery sand for lounging, and nicely packed sand nearer the ocean that was ideal for walking or biking.

After my long walk, I headed over to One Hot Mama's for lunch. It was a little tricky to find the place as it is in a complex of buildings and not easily seen from the parking area, but there were some signs to follow. Both inside and outside seating were available.

I got the lunch special which is available all day on Mondays: 1 meat & 3 sides:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kQF2Qp]

I chose the brisket, cole slaw, baked beans, and mac & cheese. The mac & cheese was really cheesy and delicious, but all of it was yummy. The jalapeno cornbread wasn't too spicy for me. It was a good amount of food and very reasonably priced.

I then headed over to the Beach House, to check out the set-up there. There is a nice boardwalk from the Beach House onto the beach.

Make sure you bring your Key to the World card with you as you need it to get back into the Beach House. I didn't grab photos, but there is a nice shower station right before you go back into the Beach House to help get the sand off.

It was time for a nap, and some book time on the porch, so back to the resort I went. Then it was time to figure out dinner. I decided on Skull Creek Boathouse, which is about a 20 minute drive from the resort.

Skull Creek Boathouse doesn't take reservations, and it was about a 30 minute wait for an outside table when I got there. There was a gift shop across the way where I spent some time and picked up some sunscreen that I had forgotten to pack. They did give a discount on my purchase since I was eating at the restaurant.

Coconut Almond Shrimp and Hush Puppies for appetizers. These were both delicious!

Low Country Shrimp Boil. This didn't have enough seasoning for my preference- I like a ton of Old Bay or other spices in the water to give the shrimp and potatoes lots of flavor and I felt this was pretty bland.

Occasionally when dining alone, I will get an invitation to join another party. In non-Covid times, I have accepted these invites as it can be very interesting to meet others and it is easy enough to go our separate ways after the meal is over. I did have a table of 3 ladies seated near me who offered for me to join them, but I declined. I know that traveling right now is a personal decision about how much risk a person wants to accept, and I didn't want to insert myself in to their space, not knowing how they've been handling the risks associated with the pandemic. Still, I did appreciate their gracious offer and hope there were no hard feelings.

The best part of the night was watching the lovely sunset

Monday March 22

I was a very unhappy camper waking up on Monday morning. Everything you have heard about noise at the resort is true. The people staying in the room above mine apparently thought that dropping bowling balls on the floor every 20-30 minutes and doing laps around their room like it was the motor speedway was a fun plan. This went on til 11:30 or midnight every night. My room was also right by a staircase, and the door to the outside was not tightly fitted, meaning every conversation people had while walking up and down the stairs filtered into my room. Combine that with the people in the adjoining 1 bedroom checking out the connecting door- I woke up sure that someone was breaking into the room before I realized what was happening. To say it was not a restful night's sleep would be putting it mildly. The noisy upstairs neighbors continued the entire trip.

This was the #1 reason I wouldn't recommend HHI. Be sure to bring earplugs, and if you are in a room on an upper floor, please be conscious of how much your noise travels and try to consolidate your trips around the room, especially late at night.
I love your painting, you did a great job (I'm also partial to the Little Mermaid!). We did the canvas paintings when we were there in September, and the stencils were a nice help!

We usually have a 2-bedroom on the upper floor, but this last trip we had a 1 bedroom with someone else above us. We honestly could not figure out the noise either. We were dumbfounded why someone needed to push chairs and tables back and forth all night, seemingly across the entire room. The amount of noise and type of noise just did not make sense to us. Thankfully, we were able to get sleep eventually, but it was quite an experience!

I love your review so far, we stayed there for a long weekend in November.

I’m super interested in your restaurant recommendations as we will be in Hilton Head again, including two nights at Disney’s HHI, for 9 nights in June/July.

I love your painting, you did a great job (I'm also partial to the Little Mermaid!). We did the canvas paintings when we were there in September, and the stencils were a nice help!

We usually have a 2-bedroom on the upper floor, but this last trip we had a 1 bedroom with someone else above us. We honestly could not figure out the noise either. We were dumbfounded why someone needed to push chairs and tables back and forth all night, seemingly across the entire room. The amount of noise and type of noise just did not make sense to us. Thankfully, we were able to get sleep eventually, but it was quite an experience!

Thank you! Yes, the stencils were a great help, but I also think I made a good choice picking a character in profile, so I didn't have to worry about getting the face to look right. I didn't think about that when I picked it, but in retrospect, it was a really good decision. I wanted to do the Beauty & the Beast one, but I knew that my art skills weren't up to the task. LOL

I love your review so far, we stayed there for a long weekend in November.

I’m super interested in your restaurant recommendations as we will be in Hilton Head again, including two nights at Disney’s HHI, for 9 nights in June/July.

Thank you so much! I'd love for you to share your thoughts on the various restaurants if you've been there in the past, but hope they are helpful for your upcoming trip.

I am so excited to read your trip report. We are heading to HHI for our first time in May. Thanks for doing this.
Thank you for joining in! You will have a great time!

Tuesday March 23

Today the plan was to drive to Savannah and walk around for several hours. I had created a restaurant list before leaving home, and did a quick google map to figure out which breakfast place was "on the way" to Savannah which is how I settled on Plantation Cafe & Deli.

This was tucked away in a strip mall and seemed to be a locals kind of place. There we a couple of small tables outside on the sidewalk, but most people were indoors. I ordered something I wouldn't get at home: Shrimp & Grits.

This was a really large portion with lots of shrimp. The bacon/pepper sauce was the main flavor note and was really tasty. I was glad to have an hour car ride to let everything settle before walking around Savannah.

I belong to a walking club that is part of an international group of clubs- so used the route they had set up in Savannah to cover about 4 miles of the downtown & riverwalk area. I enjoyed the old houses with gas lamps and the trees covered with Spanish moss- I felt transported to another time.

Down to the Riverwalk:

Olympic Torch lit for the 1996 Atlanta Olympics- the yachting competitions were held here.

The African-American Monument - artist Dorothy Spradley

Monument to Haitian soldiers who fought in the American Revolution

Just to the east of the Haitian monument is a pedestrian street that goes for 2 blocks with restaurants & shops.

I stopped at the Georgia Tasting Room and picked up an adult wine smoothie. This was a mix of mango, pina colada and key lime flavors.

I enjoyed walking around Savannah, but was ready to relax, and hungry. I hadn't passed any restaurants that captured my attention, so I did a quick search for a restaurant in Bluffton, since I would be driving through there on the way back to Hilton Head. Cahill's Market & Chicken Kitchen was well reviewed and right on the way, so I set the GPS and was off.

I got the quarter chicken with 3 sides meal and the portion was gigantic! The chicken was good, but the sides really hit the spot. I would have been happy with a meal just of sides- there were so many choices it was hard to narrow down to 3. I went with sweet potato casserole, pickled beets, and black-eyed peas, and they were all delicious. It seemed that there was some type of outside seating, but I couldn't figure out how to get there, so just ended up eating inside. Tables were well spaced, and it helped that I was eating outside of the lunch rush so it wasn't crowded.

Service was a little bit slow, but I had my ipad loaded with books, so it didn't bother me, and it was very friendly.

FYI that there is a single unisex bathroom tucked away in a corner of the store that serves the store & restaurant, so the line built quickly.

After heading back to the resort for a nap and some hot tub time, I had to figure out a plan for dinner. I started out with the idea of walking over to Ela's on the Water, but I underestimated how tired I was from walking around Savannah. After crossing the bridge and capturing this classic shot:

I settled on Scott's Fish since it was close. There was a man playing guitar and singing on the patio, so the live music was really nice- both while waiting to be seated (around 30 minute wait) and while eating. I grabbed a picture of Neptune while I was waiting.

I was seated at a patio table with a great view of the sunset over the marina

I started with the she-crab soup

This was rich, creamy and delicious.

I chose the crab cakes which were a daily special for my entree.

These were fine. The sides were boring and the veggies slightly undercooked for my taste.

I rescued the meal with a salted caramel cheesecake for dessert.

This was yummy and worth every calorie.

I knew going into the trip that Scott's wasn't highly recommended, and I have to agree with that assessment. The soup & dessert were good but the entree was meh. The service was fine, but short, as if the server was in a hurry all the time and didn't want to spend any more time than needed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I should have grabbed the car and driven over to Ela's which has been highly recommended by folks when I realized I wasn't up for a walk. Lesson learned. Still, sitting on the patio enjoying live music for one of the only times since the pandemic started was a great way to spend my night.

Wednesday March 24

Today I started with one of my favorite breakfasts of the trip at Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe. It was still pretty early and a bit grey & foggy, but I did sit out on the patio which had heaters running. I got the special of the day, a blueberry cream cheese stuffed french toast and a medium sized mimosa.

My first time having a mimosa out of a mason jar.

Normally I'm more of a savory breakfast person, but this was so delicious and even with the raspberry sauce on top, it wasn't super sweet. The tang of the cream cheese helps to give it another note so that it's not all sweet. This place is highly recommended in many forums and I can see why!

Next stop was back to the resort to pick up my adult tricycle and info for Shadow's 3k.

This was a bit more expensive than a 2 wheel bike- it was $70 for length of stay, but it was great for me who hasn't ridden a bike in years- much more stable. A bike helmet and lock were also included. I enjoyed driving it around the resort and some of the bike paths around the island. They did give me directions on how to bike to the beach house as well. No pictures from riding the bike, since I was on my own and didn't bring my GoPro with me.

As someone who has done a few RunDisney races, the price tag for Shadow's 3k was very inexpensive at $15, although your mileage may vary. Included were directions for the route, a "medal" and a race bib & pins. I didn't choose to wear the bib, but enjoyed seeing what this do-on-your-own race was all about.

After all that activity, I was ready for some lunch and some downtime. Lunch today was Marley's Shrimp & Burger Shack- which was right next door to Nectar Farm Kitchen that I had dined at earlier in the trip. They offer a daily special and Wednesday is the Shrimp Burger, which is chopped up shrimp made into a patty and cooked like a burger and served on a roll. It comes with fries or slaw and is normally $11, but was $7 because it was the daily special. I grabbed it to go and brought it over to the Beach House to eat- which was great- since Disney is only serving more food than snacks on Fridays-Sundays right now due to COVID times, it was awesome that I could bring in my own food and there was no issue. Unfortunately, I was so hungry I neglected to take a picture! :( But I would recommend this as great food for a really reasonable price, especially if you like the daily special.

I did order from the pool bar a Dole Whip Mimosa, which I thought would be a dole whip with sparkling wine added, but instead was a mimosa-style drink with pineapple instead of orange.

This was OK, but was pretty expensive for the serving size I got.

Next up was the Animation Class, back at the Community Hall by the Big Dipper Pool. I messed this one up big time- I thought it was starting at 3:30, so I stopped and got a Dole Whip and participated in the trivia question of the day that is between Tide Me Over and the Gift Shop. When I poked my head into Community Hall at 3:25, I realized that it actually had started at 3:00 and I had missed almost the whole class! 😬

The CMs really were amazing regarding this. They mentioned that this was the first time they were doing the animation class at HHI, and they would do the class over for me at 3:30 so they could get some more practice in. This was really going above and beyond and their manager came in at one point and I was sure to tell her how much I appreciated this and the CMs. We were drawing #1 duck, Donald. Here's how mine turned out:

On the way back to the room, I grabbed an empty hammock and just chilled out for about 20 minutes. This was just delightful- the # 1 word I would use to describe my stay at HHI is relaxing, and this was another reason why.

Since this would be my last chance to try it for dinner, I couldn't chill for too long, because I needed to be at Low Country Backyard by 4:30 when they opened. Back down towards Sea Pines I headed, and pulled into the parking lot about 4:29 to find the lot almost full and a very long line of people waiting for the restaurant to open. I was able to get a table inside in the bar area, and by the time my drink order had arrived, people were starting to sit at the bar waiting for a table. This place gets busy fast!!!

I got a sweet tea cocktail with peach moonshine.

This was very good and went down very smoothly (and quickly).

Next up, the Fried Green Tomato Stack:

This was surprisingly light and there was the perfect amount of ranch for every bite.

Their shrimp & grits were named #1 in the state of SC, so I had to order them:

It was really interesting to contrast these with the shrimp & grits I'd had the day earlier. These were all about the grits- they are infused with an amazing amount of seasoning, and they are very smooth and silky. Also thinner in consistency. The menu says they have an applewood bacon cream sauce with the grits, and I can believe it. Soooo good. Also interesting that this version has sausage as well as shrimp in it.

I was sooo full, but the people at the table next to me told me I had to try the banana pudding. Calories don't count on vacation, right?

This was also very delicious. It had a caramel flavor that enhanced the banana notes and the cookie surprise at the bottom of the pudding was both fun and yummy. This is a not-to-be missed restaurant, but get here before they open or you will be waiting quite a long time for a table.

I rolled myself out of my chair and made my way back to the car past a long line of people waiting to get a table. Headed back to the resort, going out for a quick spin on my tricycle to help me digest before the sun set and then heading back to the room for some reading and Disney+ watching to close out the night.

Last edited:
I hope you enjoyed your trike. The first time I rented it, I loved it so much, I took a picture and informed DH that THAT was what I wanted for Christmas. The only thing is, that was almost 5 years ago and I haven’t seen that brand again until just now.

Attachments

• 63E93D6B-56EF-49DF-9505-DEBE70F8A843.jpeg
    63E93D6B-56EF-49DF-9505-DEBE70F8A843.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
I hope you enjoyed your trike. The first time I rented it, I loved it so much, I took a picture and informed DH that THAT was what I wanted for Christmas. The only thing is, that was almost 5 years ago and I haven’t seen that brand again until just now.
It was very fun, but very awkward to try to park in the bike racks. It didn't turn tightly and wasn't as light as a 2 wheel bike, so if you couldn't just "drive" into the open space in the rack, it was a bit of a pain. But I was glad I did it- I gained more confidence to maybe start riding a bike again.

Thursday March 25

I decided to ride over to Hilton Head Social Bakery for pastry for breakfast. When I opened my door, I was super surprised to see a present hanging on my doorknob- I had won a prize for trivia from the previous day.

The trivia question had been: What Disney Legend is responsible for the art on the concourse of the Contemporary Resort? I was surprised to hear that there had only been 3 correct guesses before I made mine. Do you know the answer???

I got a cute handwritten note, the HHI Magnet, and some chocolates & stickers. So always play trivia when you are going to the Mercantile or Tide Me Over- it's not a big prize, but free stuff is always nice!

I was at Hilton Head Social Bakery fairly early, so people were able to social distance within the store, but I can see how it would get very crowded very quickly!

I was so excited when I saw that they had Kouign-Amman (pronouced queen a mahm). I had never had one before but had been introduced to them via the Great British Baking Show and was extremely curious what they would taste like. Like heaven. Super flaky puff pastry with cinnamon and sugar that caramelized at the base. You could taste the amount of butter needed to make this in every single bite. Extremely decadent and delicious.

I checked out a few spots near the lodge, but ultimately decided to eat back on my mostly sheltered from the wind balcony

Then it was off to the beach house for a morning of relaxing by the pool. I was able to get a much shadier spot by being one of the first to arrive.

Before I knew it, it was time for lunch. I packed everything up and headed out since I had plans after lunch, and headed back over to One Hot Mama's. I had been very intrigued by their wings and the number of interesting & award winning sauces they offered, so that was my lunch choice for the day.

On the top: Maui Wowii- Pineapple, ginger and sweet chili glaze (one flame)
On the bottom: Hawaii Five-O: Ginger, soy, pineapple, teriyaki glaze (no flames)

I am a spice wimp, and the Maui Wowii were pretty spicy for my tastes, so glad I didn't pick anything hotter than one flame!

The only bad thing I've found about One Hot Mama's is the location- it is very hard to get out of the parking lot into the left hand lane so you can go through the traffic circle.

Glad I had filled up on some deliciousness, I headed to my afternoon event

The Hilton Head Distillery. This was on the other side of the island near the airport, so it was about a 20 minute or so drive. A 6 sample tasting was only $10- quite a bargain! Of course, they hope you'll end up buying at least 1 full bottle of something (and spoiler alert, I did!) Interestingly, as I went to double check which flavors I tasted, I see they have increased the tasting cost to $15, but have also increased the number of choices as well as the option to have 1 cocktail + 3 neat samples, or 2 cocktails, as well as the 6 neat samples that were offered when I was there. There are no tours currently offered due to COVID-19.

This was all indoors, but they did a great job of keeping groups far apart from each other.

From left to right, I tried: Aermoor Vodka, Whiskey Girl Peach, Whiskey Girl Apple & Maple, Whiskey Girl Butterscotch, Spiced Rum, and Toasted Coconut Rum.

My favorites were the Spiced Rum & Toasted Coconut Rum, and with only enough suitcase room to bring one home, I settled on the Toasted Coconut, which they said is one of their best sellers.

Then it was back to the resort. The day before the end of vacation is always sad, but the real-life vibe was arriving too soon for me, as I have been taking a class through a local university with a cohort of other employees from my company that meets for 3 hours every Thursday night. Rather than try to find time to get caught up after I got home, I had made the decision that I would attend class while on my vacation. But with class running 5-8 pm, that was going to make dinner difficult.

This was the one time where Tide Me Over closing so early actually worked out well for me. When I got back to my room from the distillery, I called and pre-ordered a wrap with a salad on the side at about 3:45. Then I biked over and paid/picked it up just as Tide Me Over was closing and put it in my room fridge. I was able to eat most of it during our 10 minute class break around 6:30 and it was still pretty delicious and the salad hadn't gotten too soggy yet.

I was also able to take the first half of class out on the balcony by combining one of the benches for the table, and some boxes including the kleenex boxes into a stand where I could put my ipad at the right height to do a video call. Since there are no lights out on the balcony, I had to move indoors for the second half of class, but I did get to make a few classmates jealous by being able to be outside during the first part.

Then it was time to get most of the packing done before heading to bed for one more night of bowling above me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter