How foolish would it be...

Princess_taffy05

Mouseketeer
To not make ADRs?

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in December. We love going every 2nd week of December and are very much looking forward to our wedding and then setting off for the world! Pop Warner week is late this year and will interfere with our usual "free" dining plan, so we will be completely OOP for the whole trip. I am not too worried about this expense(especially since it is our honeymoon), but it does change things a bit. Why oh why of all the years does Pop Warner have to be during my one and only honeymoon week?

I will certainly be making ADRs for a few "must do places", but would it really be so bad to "wing it"? It isn't a super crowded time of year (even with Pop Warner going on) and I do recall being able to just walk in most places (mainly resort restaurants) and them being not too busy.

Would I be a fool to do this? There are just too many places we want to try and I think I may go a little overboard not only with ADRs, but with spending as well if I book too many. I am really bummed out about the black out week for FD :mad: But, I will not let it get me down or ruin my Disneymoon!

Thoughts/opinions/comments are all appreciated!

Nah. We only make about half the adrs we should with free dining. I'll make any must dos ahead of time, but then are free to go and do whatever we like. Usually day of, I will see what's available based on where we are. There's always something good and/or new to try. We have ended up checking out places we never would have otherwise because we were able to go with the flow.

There's always somewhere to sit down and eat if that's what you want and if you're willing to take a risk.

That's what I'm planning for next trip. Making a few must do's (3-4) and winging it the rest of the week.

The morning of, if we want to do a TS that day, I will check with guest relations and see what's open. If it's nothing we like we will do CS. I'm guessing most days my kids will be begging for CS which leaves them more park time. Last trip they complained about dinner ADR's because it took park time away from them.

I would definitely make the must do ADRS. If you want to wing the rest, I'm sure you will get in some place if you aren't picky especially at the resorts.

You should be fine. It may be a good idea to swing by Guest Services or Resort Concierge to see what's available if you're looking for something, but not particular about what.

Certain restaurants will likely be fully booked up though no matter what ('Ohana, Be Our Guest (for sure), etc), so set appropriate expectations of what will be open :).

I agree with others that you should be fine, especially if you are willing to be flexible and eat CS or TS at less popular restaurants. Who knows, maybe one of the restaurants available at the last minute will become your new favorite!

Well, it depends on you two and how you interact during times of stress, and what brings you stress.

Does either of you deal with blood sugar things where you change attitude/mood/behavior when overly hungry? Do you anticipate that if you're searching for something to eat (or worse, trying to figure out what you WANT to eat and then have to go search) there might be issues with that? If so, make plans.

One of the absolute nastiest, worst fights DH and I have had was on our honeymoon, and it was caused by different expectations (of what? I don't know, we were on a cruise...what was there to decide on? neither of us can remember). Now I realize that it was probably *caused* by food stuff that cropped up years later, because those types of disagreements don't happen with us unless *someone* is having a blood sugar drop or spike.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd make the ADRs. You guys are going to want to eat anyway, so you might as well have plans. "I dunno, what do you want to eat? I dunno, what about you?" is not a super-fun way to spend even 5 minutes of a honeymoon, at least to me.

We are planning on 3 dinner ADRs and 2 character breakfasts, other than that- I'm sure finding food won't be a problem. We are both perfectly happy sitting at a lounge and sharing appetizers and having some drinks!
I guess I might get a bit crabby if I'm starving, but I'm never starving at Disney since we are surrounded by snack options. We are also staying at the Boardwalk, and there are lots of options there and nearby Swan, Dolphin, Beach and Yacht.
I'm excited about kinda winging it. In the past we have had to plan around ADRs and go from one place all the way to another. I think this will be refreshing!

Thanks everyone!

To not make ADRs?

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in December. We love going every 2nd week of December and are very much looking forward to our wedding and then setting off for the world! Pop Warner week is late this year and will interfere with our usual "free" dining plan, so we will be completely OOP for the whole trip. I am not too worried about this expense(especially since it is our honeymoon), but it does change things a bit. Why oh why of all the years does Pop Warner have to be during my one and only honeymoon week?

I will certainly be making ADRs for a few "must do places", but would it really be so bad to "wing it"? It isn't a super crowded time of year (even with Pop Warner going on) and I do recall being able to just walk in most places (mainly resort restaurants) and them being not too busy.

Would I be a fool to do this? There are just too many places we want to try and I think I may go a little overboard not only with ADRs, but with spending as well if I book too many. I am really bummed out about the black out week for FD :mad: But, I will not let it get me down or ruin my Disneymoon!

Thoughts/opinions/comments are all appreciated!

Not foolish at all. I'm surprised at how many to make ADR's.

I know this is the dark ages, but DH and I went in 2003 when he got back from Iraq. We ate at Crystal Palace, Sci Fi, and Boma (staying at AKL)...we even ate off property (shhh). I think we had ADRs for all of those. The rest of the time, we just made do. I don't remember having any problems or disagreements. I would only say it might foolish if:

1) You have NO ADRs but you want to eat at some special places (CRT, Ohana, etc.)
2) People need to eat at certain time (hangry or blood sugar issues)
3) Small children-you don't want to be waiting with small children
4) Large party size and you expect to eat together all the time
5) You don't have a car and/or are staying at resort area with a lot of dining options
6) Someone is extremely picky

It doesn't look like any of those apply to you.

There are other options that don't require ADRs or dining in a restaurant for that matter. Keep in mind DH & I were married 21 yrs. ago. Obviously, we are older, & may no longer enjoy the same things a younger couple would. We've always been romantics & enjoy concentrating solely on each other though. We normally eat at signature restaurants every evening with very few exceptions. One of those exceptions ended up being one of the meals we remember most fondly & intend to repeat.

On an arrival night last year we collected food from CS locations at Epcot. On the way out we purchased a bottle of wine. We had music on DH's Iphone & packed battery operated candles. This became a very romantic dinner with music & dancing & concentrating solely on each other.

Other ideas:
At other vacation destinations or on cruises, we've ordered a late room service lunch followed by a nice nap. Later in the evening we'll go to a lounge for appetizers & desserts.

As you've already noted, lounges can be a great substitute to a TS meal. Swan & Dolphin have some great options. The sushi is very good at Kimonos. The pears & brown sugar drink is fantastic. Call same day, if you want a table. Everything is good at bluezoo, so that's always an option. There's also Il Mulino & Shula's lounges as well.

Typing this is making me want to go without ADRs, if only there weren't so many places I want to eat at that I can't fit them all in as it is. :rolleyes1

Great suggestions! I have the same problem with wanting too many ADRs so that's why winging it sounds like a relief! I could go crazy with over scheduling and we like signatures too...

I don't think it's a bad idea. I love go with the flow Disney days. Sometimes having a day planned around reservations gets really frustrating especially if you're having fun!

Our last trip I did reservations for breakfast and then pretty much just went with the flow the rest of the time. I don't think there will be any issues.

I think you'll be fine as long as you have some ADRs for what is important to you. We actually got tired of ADRs on our 10 day honeymoon. We cancelled one, and walked up at Rose & Crown. It actually ended up being one of my favorite meals. We also got on our laptop and changed some around mid trip. There were a ton of options just a day or 2 out. Maybe you could consider that as an easier way with less wait time. Schedule them the day of so you know what you're in the mood for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter