How far does Forbidden Journey tip back?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
I have been reading through as many threads as possible to get ready for our first trip to UO! My DD is a huge Harry Potter fan and really wants to ride Forbidden Journey but is intimidated by roller coasters and going upside down. I have read some comments that say Forbidden Journey just tips the seat back momentarily and other comments including Universal's website that state you are inverted. How bad is it so I don't risk a meltdown during our trip :)

Just to horizontal. You just are on your back, not upside-down.

As damo said you are only on your back.......no upside down or inside out........

It is fairly quick and doesn't last too long.

Yep, they just do it enough before you get a chance to go upside down. You're only on your back as others stated and it's brief. In order to prepare you and give you more specifics of when, the most action you'll experience on your back will be during the Whopping Willow bit. You go your back and right back up again a couple of times only to simulate you trying to avoid it before turning onto your side to the next scene.

THANK YOU!!! She will feel much more comfortable actually knowing what's coming next!! AND she isn't afraid to ride anymore! She has no desire to ride Hulk, RRR, etc but skipping a Harry Potter ride would be tough :)

My 14 yr old does not do upside down either. If she can't see a ride ahead of time she will ask and research ahead of time. She loves coasters, just not upside down stuff. She loves HP too but she asked me so many times in line for Forbidden Journey I finally asked the worker asking 'how many?' at the loading area. She immediately said you lay on your back 3 times. She looked right at my daughter (so she had overheard her) and said 'You won't go upside down but you will go all the way back on your back three times, do you still want to ride?' I guess they get asked that a lot.

My daughter was reassured and eagerly got on. Later in our trip she rode it single rider so she was okay with it I guess. She did like Gringotts more.

I LOVED Forbidden Journey and would have ridden it a 3rd time if we had had the time. I am probably the biggest HP fan in the house and it was great (line and ride). It does lay all the way back 3 times though and one time was way back. So far back I was surprised my daughter was okay with it but I guess she trusted the worker and was't worried about it.

You also go forward on your stomach. DS and I actually got stuck on our backs for 5-10 minutes, maybe more. They actually turned the lights on, and I thought we would be evaced out. However, it started back up just fine. The part where you go furthest on your back is always surprising, because the harness, and your under garments, all seem much looser than they were when the ride started:eek: You definitely don't go upside down or even much past flat on your back.

Can anyone tell me if, when they ride first opened, you did go upside down or at least almost upside down? I rode it in 2010, and I swear I remember thinking we were going to flip! Did they tone down that part or has it always just been that way?

Can anyone tell me if, when they ride first opened, you did go upside down or at least almost upside down? I rode it in 2010, and I swear I remember thinking we were going to flip! Did they tone down that part or has it always just been that way?

Nope, only on your back. That part hasn't changed. We rode it in May just before it opened and it is still the same.

Thanks Damo! The first time I rode it, I could have sworn my feet were over my head, but it was just me freaking out! LOL

I love FJ, but I will say that when we went a couple of weeks ago, my 7-year-old granddaughter, who was pretty much game to ride anything that she was tall enough for, freaked out on The Mummy. She wanted to ride it, but it was her first real (non-kiddie) roller coaster. And being in the dark, it did freak her out. After that, she would always ask if something was going to go upside down. We had not gone on FJ yet with her, and we reassured her that it didn't go upside down. However, after she had ridden it, she really liked it and wanted to go on it again, but said "but it did go upside down." That tipping back felt like upside down to her. So just a caution...

I love FJ, but I will say that when we went a couple of weeks ago, my 7-year-old granddaughter, who was pretty much game to ride anything that she was tall enough for, freaked out on The Mummy. She wanted to ride it, but it was her first real (non-kiddie) roller coaster. And being in the dark, it did freak her out. After that, she would always ask if something was going to go upside down. We had not gone on FJ yet with her, and we reassured her that it didn't go upside down. However, after she had ridden it, she really liked it and wanted to go on it again, but said "but it did go upside down." That tipping back felt like upside down to her. So just a caution...

Did she think she went upside down on the Mummy?

Last edited:
Hmmm...yes, and I guess I thought it did too. Doesn't it? Actually, I just asked my husband, and he doesn't think so.

Hmmm...yes, and I guess I thought it did too. Doesn't it? Actually, I just asked my husband, and he doesn't think so.

No, it actually doesn't even come close. The only rides that go upside down are Hulk and Dragon Challenge.

Nothing has changed. It probably felt that way as it is probably the closest simulator on Universal property that makes you genuinely feel that way.

Due to the fact that it's essentially a highly functioning robotic arm that is moving you and not a huge ride vehicle who can just tilt you back and forth, they have a lot more flexibility, and therefore can move you in a way that you normally can't on any other simulator ride on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter