How far away is the Grand Canyon?

Camping Griswalds

DIS Veteran
Is this a doable side trip?

We live on the east coast, so this would be our one big trip out west. :thumbsup2 Want to do 3-4 days at Disneyland, a day at Universal, a day at a Pacific Ocean beach and possibly the Grand Canyon. Would also love to see the Redwoods. How many days would you recommend for this trip? /We easily have 10 days , but 9 nights, but of course that includes the flight days.

Anyone from the East Coast done this type of trip? :confused3

The Grand Canyon can be a good 8-9 hour drive one way..

So it could be doable..
The redwoods are another 9-10 hour drive. So it is up to you..

It also depends on the time of year that you want to go. We tried going one Easter and the GC was closed due to 18 inches of snow. I was very upset..

It's all up to you and how much you want to drive. I personally love going to the beach and it is a great way to relax. Not stuck in a car all day..

This year the grand canyon isnt getting as much snow as past years. The entire state is very dry. We went something like 140 days with no rain and that included up North too. I hear the North rim has more chance of snow than the South too. (no first hand experience with that yet)

I did a lot of traveling like that when I was young. My parents were real good about putting educational things like the grand canyon in our trips. As an adult I still remember the redwood forest and grand canyon well but I dont remember distance. I think if you can swing it what you take out of what yousee is so worth it. The Grand Canyon is more than a site to see. You will haev a lot of Desert driving as well.

I cant wait until we can get back East for the same sort of Trip. I want to see WA Dc and all that surrounding area too someday.

I find a good way to get travel distance and time is to plug it into a Map direction program like MSN.

My friend is driving us from Anaheim to Williams, Arizona where we will stay overnight before she drives down to the Grand Canyon from there.We will have a few hours there and then mid afternoon, she is driving us down to Las Vegas for 2 nights and then driving us back to Anaheim.
It's a lot of driving for her (we did the same trip in 2004) but she is very happy to do this for her British friends (she lives in California).
I don't drive and neither does Happy Traveller( we are going away together), so it's up to my friend to do it all, but she doesn't mind.
Love Ella

Wow! I never even thought of the weather! We are planning on going last week of Jan either 2007 or 2008, because of school breaks, but obviously really need to research on the internet now!

I have never seen the Grand Canyon, and would really like my kids to see it. We live on the water here in MD, and have about a 15 minute boat ride to the inlet/Atlantic Ocean. I still want to spend a day in the Pacific Ocean though. Just to say we did it if nothing else. Although I 've been to Hawaii, so that's the same...yet different I'm sure!

We'll probably skip a theme park (univ or Seaworld) to see the Grand Canyon!

Thanks for the responses!

Barbday62 said:
I cant wait until we can get back East for the same sort of Trip. I want to see WA Dc and all that surrounding area too someday.

If you go to DC, please visit the Smithsonian(sp?) It is an awesome experience!

And if you are that close, why not drive 3 hours and come visit the Ocean in Ocean City, MD? We're a great family ressort in the summer, nice beaches, and boardwalk!

Any interest in seeing Sequoia trees instead of Redwoods? The Redwoods are the tallest, but also very far away to see (North of San Francisco). Sequoias on the other hand, are the widest, yet still very tall, and are located about 4-6 hours away in Sequoia National Park. Just a suggestion if you're interested in seeing another 'big tree'.

I´d love to see the Seqoias. Anyone know how long I would have to drive from Las Vegas to see them?

I did the bus tour from Vegas to the Grand Canyon and thats a good 5 hour drive, so from Southern Cali it's gotta be like at least 9 hrs, but if you have the time, I suggest you do it, it's worth it!!!

I'd maybe make this suggestion. Fly in and out of Vegas (probably get cheaper flights anyway), go to the Grand Canyon first. Then drive to Anaheim/LA area. Then go to the Sequoia's at the end of the trip and drive from there back to Vegas. According to mapquest, it is 4 hours to Sequoia National Park and 6 hours from Sequoia to Vegas. And, it's 5 hours from Vegas to Grand Canyon and 7.5 hours from grand canyon to Anaheim.
I think you're gonna need more than 10days...but let's see.....
Flight in and out of Vegas-2 days
Drive to Grand Canyon, visit for a bit-1.5-2 days (total of 3.5-4 days)
Drive to Anaheim .75-1 days (total of 4.5 days-5 days already taken up)
3 days at DL-(total of 7.5-8 days)
Drive to Sequoia, spend time in sequoia 1.5-2 days (total of 9.5-10 days)
Drive to Las Vegas .75 days (10.15-10.75 days)

That is assuming good weather all the way around. On the national parks website for Sequoia, it says that the main roads will close during and after snow storms.

It also doesn't leave any room for any other attractions during your stay.

I'd say perhaps going to either Sequoia OR the Grand Canyon is probably your best bet. Grand Canyon seems to be your better chance of getting to see anything during the time you want to go.

Camping Griswalds said:
I have never seen the Grand Canyon, and would really like my kids to see it. We live on the water here in MD, and have about a 15 minute boat ride to the inlet/Atlantic Ocean. I still want to spend a day in the Pacific Ocean though. Just to say we did it if nothing else. Although I 've been to Hawaii, so that's the same...yet different I'm sure.
During that time of year, I'd say you might spend an hour or two at the Pacific Ocean. You won't be able to go in the water at all, it will be too cold. That time of year I wouldn't even wade or put my feet in. You probably wouldn't like even being on the beach all that much that time of year, either, with the cold air coming off the water, brrr.
It seems to me that late spring/early summer might be a better option for the kinds of things you want to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter