how does RNRC compare to Shanghai's Tron coaster?

aschwarz

Mouseketeer
Hi all, big roller coaster chicken here. My husband is trying to get me on Rock n Roller Coaster on an upcoming trip, even though I am deathly afraid of going upside down.

For reference, I now go on Space Mountain and Everest, and even conquered Tron in Shanghai last year. But I did the Mummy ride in USO one time and cried like a big ol baby, and I'll never do it again. He thinks if I can handle Tron, I can handle RNRC, because Tron is faster and longer. But Tron doesn't go upside down! If you've gone on all the big Disney coasters, can you tell me if RNRC is really as bad as I'm making it out to be in my head? Will I survive?

Easier than that Space Mountain is, at least on the body.

It's fast and intense but there is no drop, like on EE, so it's not scary.

Scariest part is all the Aerosmith music. *Shudder*

I'm a big chicken too who hasn't done EE yet but has done RNRC.

I have not been on Tron, but of all the Disney roller coasters, RnRC is my least favorite. While, it is in the dark, it is not pitch black like SM. There are illuminated street signs throughout. There are two twist inversions and one full loop. To me the ride is very jerky. And, with the shoulder harness I end up with a headache or neck ache from bashing my head on the sides of the restraint (I’m short). It’s very fast. I love all the other coasters and thrill rides (except Mission Space), but I would be fine with not riding RnRC again.

My son was very afraid to go upside down but tried rnrc and loved it and now says it's his favorite. The loops are not big and at least one of them is more of a corkscrew. I say give it a try.

I've been on both and I think Tron was scarier. The worst part of Rock-n-Roll is the take off. Tron seemed faster. Just my opinion.

I have not been on Tron, but of all the Disney roller coasters, RnRC is my least favorite. While, it is in the dark, it is not pitch black like SM. There are illuminated street signs throughout. There are two twist inversions and one full loop. To me the ride is very jerky. And, with the shoulder harness I end up with a headache or neck ache from bashing my head on the sides of the restraint (I’m short). It’s very fast. I love all the other coasters and thrill rides (except Mission Space), but I would be fine with not riding RnRC again.
Amazing how we can have such different experiences! That's what's great around here, different perspectives and experiences.

Originally, I loved RnRC, then it was very rough for a while. The last 2 trips, it seemed smoother again.
Its a quick launch into the loop.
Haven't been on Tron, so can't compare.

I've been on both. Even though RnRC goes upside down, its in the dark and you really don't realize you did it until its over. I found Tron to be more "exciting" in that it happens mostly in plain view. Even though there is not an actual loop/upside down portion, you do go very far over (past 90 degrees) in a couple of spots. Perhaps more intense is the fact that you aren't really in a ride vehicle on Tron, but are on top of one.

RnRC is pretty smooth, and I consider the experience only slightly more extreme than Tron. The only Disney coaster that makes me ill is Space Mountain in Paris -- that one rattled my brain so badly, I'll never set foot on it again.

If you can go on Everest and Space you can do RNRC. To me Everest is intense! Space is rougher than RNRC.
RNRC is one of my favorites! I just love it. The take off is awesome then there is a few loops. If you do get scared it’s not a long ride and will be over before you know it.
It took me several years to talk my granddaughter into riding it. Finally she did and now it’s her favorite and has to ride it each trip. It is our first pick of fastpasses.

Maybe I've been unfortunate but while not in the least bit scared of RnRC it hurts my head for real. I feel like my brains are being scrambled from the jostling. I wish it weren't the case as I absolutely loved California Screamin' at DisneyLand. Not scared from RnRC, just in head pain.

I think if you can handle Everest, you can ride RnRC. I'm not a big fan of coasters, at all. I only learned to ride them for the sake of my daughters who love them. The launch is intense on RnRC, so steel yourself for that and the hard part will be over. Because it's in the dark, it's not as intimidating, in my opinion. There are signs that light up the area, but if you focus on the signs rather than the track, you will miss the loops coming ahead and will avoid the dread of it. For me, that helps a lot compared to other coasters that I can see what's happening. The launch is the only tough part of this ride for me but it's over quickly. The rest is better than Everest because it doesn't go backwards like Everest does. Besides the launch, I enjoy the rest of the ride.

Thanks, everyone! This is all so helpful as I mentally prepare myself to go on this ride I've been afraid of for the past two decades :)

I think if you can handle Everest, you can ride RnRC. I'm not a big fan of coasters, at all. I only learned to ride them for the sake of my daughters who love them. The launch is intense on RnRC, so steel yourself for that and the hard part will be over. Because it's in the dark, it's not as intimidating, in my opinion. There are signs that light up the area, but if you focus on the signs rather than the track, you will miss the loops coming ahead and will avoid the dread of it. For me, that helps a lot compared to other coasters that I can see what's happening. The launch is the only tough part of this ride for me but it's over quickly. The rest is better than Everest because it doesn't go backwards like Everest does. Besides the launch, I enjoy the rest of the ride.
Oh the launch is my favorite part!

Just do it. Surprised to hear anyone say they're fine with Space Mountain and Everest but not Mummy. I won't guarantee you'll love it but if you can do the others, RnR won't cause any lasting trauma!

I will say having just gotten back and ridden in both front and back car - the ride has gotten a bit bumpier over the years and I find the front car a lot smoother than the back if that's a concern. [Just noticed over posting that a few other people mentioned this as well . . .]

I'm not a huge roller coaster person but tend to do them in Disney. I no longer ride SM. Its just too jerky and rough for me.
I love EE however I sometimes feel a little queasy on the backwards part. I do love RNRR. Yes, the launch can be intense but the ride is over so quick you barely have time to be scared. The first time I rode it, I didn't even realize I was in a loop because it was over so quickly. I try to keep my head back because it does rattle your brain.

Give it a try. You have been brave enough to try out the others. Its a quick ride and worth it to say you have done it even once. Good luck!!

I think Tron is absolutely amazing. It's more about speed and big swooping movements. I would compare RnRC more to Space Mountain in Paris, since it does go upside down. However, it's in the dark, so you really don't quite get the "upside down" sensation, since it's sort of disorienting. It only goes forward and doesn't really have scenes like the Mummy, but there are some similarities to seeing the things that light up in the dark. It's not anywhere near as intense as the Incredicoaster with regards to the loop. Give it a try. It is safe, has great restraints, and you might like it.

Just wanted to return and say that I finally conquered RnRC and it wasn't bad at ALL! I'm so embarrassed I avoided this coaster for 20+ years. I even rode single rider (with my husband in a different car) the second time. Thanks for all the support :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter