How do you spend Disney Visa Redemption Dollars?

SCPixie

Mouseketeer
Advice please -- I have my Disney Visa Redemption Card (gift card for purchases) in hand for my trip beginning Saturday (!!!!) :earsboy: I'd like to know how you use your card. Do you 1) just use it until the balance is gone to pay for things such as gratuity/alcohol/souvenirs; 2) charge everything back to your room and when your balance gets close to what is on your redemption card go to the front desk and pay off the current balance and then just keep charging back to your room to pay with a CC later, or 3) give it to the hotel at check-in and once the balance is gone go back to the front desk and provide a new card? Just trying to figure out what is easier... Thanks so much for your tips!

Advice please -- I have my Disney Visa Redemption Card (gift card for purchases) in hand for my trip beginning Saturday (!!!!) :earsboy: I'd like to know how you use your card. Do you 1) just use it until the balance is gone to pay for things such as gratuity/alcohol/souvenirs; 2) charge everything back to your room and when your balance gets close to what is on your redemption card go to the front desk and pay off the current balance and then just keep charging back to your room to pay with a CC later, or 3) give it to the hotel at check-in and once the balance is gone go back to the front desk and provide a new card? Just trying to figure out what is easier... Thanks so much for your tips!
Option 2.

I also do option 2, but dont wait until check out!! Go the night before check out and pay your charges up until that point, then if you have any left over on your last day, id switch to option 1. They will charge your card on file at or around midnight before your check out day!!

Actually, if I recall correctly and it's still policy, the hotel will automatically bill your credit card when you reach a specific dollar amount, not just on the night before your check-out day. (I believe the dollar limit is set by resort category, but am not sure.)That happened to me, and it was a PITA to have to spend the time to get straightened out. Now, we just take the rewards card with us and use it until it runs out.

We use it till it runs out like a gift card. A few years ago, you had to know the balance if it wouldn't cover the purchase, Like if you are buying $20 worth of stuff but there is $6.72 left, you had to tell them to just run it for the $6.72 or it would decline. Not sure if they have fixed that- we just pay attention when it's getting low. They print the balance on the receipt, so it's not hard to track.

A little different for us. We are DVC Members and usually towards it towards our yearly dues. But this year we're going to use it for the park passes.

There are some places that give you a discount when paying with your Visa or redemption card. I am planning on using my redemption card for those things (trying to charge as little as possible but still get the discounts).

Option 2.

I charge everything to the room and then when it's convenient go down to the front desk to pay it off. You could try option #3, it works sometimes (though you'd still have to give them a cc#).

Rarely (in my experience) will CM's be able to put the Rewards Card on file at check in (essentially giving you a positive balance). However, once there is a charge on the room, they will be OFTEN (not always, depends on the CM) able to add the entire amount of the card (so if you have a rewards card with $200 on it, but buy something for $10 you'd end up with a $180 positive balance).

Use it till it runs out for either food or souvenirs. I tend to charge back to my room after that since my Disney Visa is attatched and let those charges build me more Visa rewards.....kind of like the Circle of Life.....:teeth:

Use it till it runs out for either food or souvenirs. I tend to charge back to my room after that since my Disney Visa is attatched and let those charges build me more Visa rewards.....kind of like the Circle of Life.....:teeth:

I do this.

For our trip, we basically did option 2. I didn't really keep track to determine that our amount charged to the room was greater than the amount on the redemption card, I just assumed it would be by the end of the trip :) I went to the front desk on our last night and applied it towards the room charge. I found that using the MB to pay for everything was simpler than reaching into my purse to find the card. Don't you love how Disney kindly created an easier way for us to spend money?? Haha

I use my DRRC to pay down my Tickets. Then when I get to the parks, I make sure to use it to get 10% off at a store like a Disney Visa, and use the DRRC.

I've always used mine as cash (option 1) in the past. Now that magic bands are so convenient, I am toying with charging back to my room and then paying it down before check-out.

There are some places that give you a discount when paying with your Visa or redemption card.
Can you elaborate, I have never heard of discounts for using the redemption card....I may have missed that and missed some discounts. (I know the Visa has some perks) Thanks

Can you elaborate, I have never heard of discounts for using the redemption card....I may have missed that and missed some discounts. (I know the Visa has some perks) Thanks
It's the same places. You have to ask for the discount. It is not automatic.

It's the same places. You have to ask for the discount. It is not automatic.

Thank you, had no idea. I typically just charge all to room and go down and pay for it with redemption card a few days before check out and then again the night before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts