How do you pay for your meals but still feel like you are on vacation?

Islandmom71

Earning My Ears
When we last went to Disney 4 yrs ago, we had free dining which was great for us primarily because it allowed us to relax and not care/pay attention to the prices on the menu. We are not able to add dining to our package this time so I am concerned that we will lose some of that care free feeling. Any advice? Strategies? Wondering if I bought a visa gift card ahead of time if that would help my mindset.

Thanks for the help.

We buy Disney gift cards ahead of time. Buying them over several months helps spreading out the costs. We have only done the DDP once when we got it for free at POFQ. The time we did have it I priced out what we did order and realized we wouldn't have saved using it.Take a look at the menus at places you want to eat & try to price out what your costs might be (don't forget tax and tips) .

Unless you get a discount on the Visa Gift cards (that overcomes the service fee you pay) I would think using your Magic Band to pay for things would have much the same effect.

I make a detailed budget using the sticky Buffet, Character, Shows, AYCTE PricingBuffet, Character, Shows, AYCTE Pricing as well as online menus. I calculate that we are going to eat big, eat expensive items, snack, and maybe have some alcoholic drinks. I build that into my budget for the trip. I then calculate how much I need to save for the trip. By the trip, the money is sitting in my vacation account.
During the trip, I go to the planned ADRs, we order what we want, and I use my MagicBand.

I think you will be surprised how care free you will end up feeling. You will notice that you really were not as care free as you thought you were on the dining plan after all. All the "how many credits left", "is that covered on the DP?" and "whats the best bang for my buck" mentality goes out the window when you go with your Mickey Band. A little pre planning ahead of time with TS on the way your family typically eats at home coupled with a generous budget for snacks so you don't feel deprived will have you going for room discounts every time.

I would say having water in the room and getting a soda mug or two helps. We also do the gift card deals and pay on the room about the middle of the trip and again at the end before they charge the card on file. Really is no hassle and the savings usually pay for one of our TS.

I buy Disney gift cards at a discount either at Sam's Club were I pay $142 for $150 gift card (I believe Costco and BJ's have similar offers), or with my Target Red Card (5% off). I buy them through out the year, spreading out the cost.

Also if you do Swagbucks you can save up points and get Starbucks gift cards to spend in the parks.

We've traveled with dining plans and without and there hasn't been a difference. I add up the budget for meals and snacks as part of the initial budget. I make a spreadsheet with hotel, tickets, food, gas/tolls, special event tickets (like Club Villain or MNSSHP). I add the cost of all meals including alcohol and tip. If it's DDP or DXDP, I add things not covered by it (such as tips and alcohol).

If you pay $5000 for a trip with DDP and $3500 without DDP, you HAVE to add your food, etc., to the budget from the get-go. And be realistic. My DS will get the adult steak, (he's now 12), so I budget for that!

Pay for it on the magic band just like using table service credits. I've never paid for the dining plan and never intend to. Got it once when it was heavily discounted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter