How do you keep your money/valuables safe while at Disney?

DH thinks fanny packs are geeky. But honestly...after the upsetting event of having my credit card used fraudulently, I really don't care if I look like a geek. I would rather be safe.

Has your husband ever looked at the way half the people at WDW are dressed/look?

You've got the black socks sandal wearers, the 3xl person with the medium sized teeshirt on, the folks with the summer teeth (summer here and summer gone), you've got the 13 year old in the stroller, the men with their shorts hiked up to their armpits, the women with the strapless dresses and bra's that aren't, the father with his best "Who Farted" shirt and he is going to worry about you with a fanny pack???

Dan

I've never thought about my medications being stolen. I've always just stashed them in a drawer and never had an issue. Maybe I don't take anything anyone would want! :rotfl:

Has anyone had an issue with their CC denying charges at the point of sale since you are out of town? I have this issue every trip whether I call them prior to leaving or not. It's very irritating and causes me to have to carry two cards.

Has your husband ever looked at the way half the people at WDW are dressed/look?

You've got the black socks sandal wearers, the 3xl person with the medium sized teeshirt on, the folks with the summer teeth (summer here and summer gone), you've got the 13 year old in the stroller, the men with their shorts hiked up to their armpits, the women with the strapless dresses and bra's that aren't, the father with his best "Who Farted" shirt and he is going to worry about you with a fanny pack???

Dan

I think that is why Disney did this. I think they were making fun of WDW guests!!! :lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N87DEVdhgUU

Never even thought of locking up medication, but since one of mine is a controlled substance I will take that into account. If something did happen to it, getting it replaced would be extremely difficult.

How do any of you store a laptop?

Wear pants with pockets that latch/button and keep your money / cc in there.

To slow down physical credit card theft write "CHECK ID" with a sharpie on the back of the card and don't put your sig.

To slow down ID theft, shred anything with your name / address.

To slow down CC theft check your account online daily, and get a good card. Not all cards are the same. Also keep your limits low on your card.

Also you can put a suitcase lock on your case and just live out of that.

We use the room safe and have never had any trouble. Call me crazy but I still actually travel with traveler's checks and some cash.

Never even thought of locking up medication, but since one of mine is a controlled substance I will take that into account. If something did happen to it, getting it replaced would be extremely difficult.

How do any of you store a laptop?

Okay, this is one thing we do not leave at home....so a correction to my earlier comment. We put our laptop in one of two places.... either a bag under all of our dirty clothes or between the mattresses. We stay DVC and ask that we don't have any Mousekeeping. Sometimes they still come, though. :rolleyes2

I use the safe in my room all the time, and have never had a problem. I just use a regular drawstring bag - backpack thing in the parks. I don't carry a ton of cash with me, maybe about $100 at most at any given time.

The day I was told I wasn't allowed to buy a fanny pack would be the day I bought one, lol.
Amen, Sister. Me too!

Our biggest rule is this: If it will break your heart or your bank account to replace...don't bring it.

I am not a heavy packer for WDW. I only take the credit cards that I need for the trip, a bit of cash and any gift cards I need then I leave everything else at home.

When we do have to take a computer or iPad, I usually put the iPad in the room safe and the computer goes under the dirty clothes. Fortunately, we don't have to take those every time.

The last time I went, I finally broke down and brought a waistpack. I've used it for one Disney trip and several local adventures. I usually go for a cross-body bag (love my Vera Bradley Lizzy) so I had to overcome the "dork factor" of the waistpack. I was happy that my shoulders didn't hurt at the end of the day!

http://www.rei.com/product/778453/rei-lode-waistpack

Wear pants with pockets that latch/button and keep your money / cc in there.

To slow down physical credit card theft write "CHECK ID" with a sharpie on the back of the card and don't put your sig.

To slow down ID theft, shred anything with your name / address.

To slow down CC theft check your account online daily, and get a good card. Not all cards are the same. Also keep your limits low on your card.

Also you can put a suitcase lock on your case and just live out of that.

I didn't think you were supposed to put "check for id" on the back of your credit cards anymore. When they look at your ID they can get your address. So they will have both your credit card number and your address which can be used to steal your identity. Visa/Mastercard rules say that businesses cannot ask to see your id to match it with the name on the credit card anymore.

We use prepaid credit cards for Disney trips. If they are lost or stolen, at least they are not tied to your name.

For online purchases, we use a one time credit card number. We can go online to our credit card website and it auto generates numbers for us. You can choose the amount you want on it. We can give the numbers to plumbers or whoever you don't trust with your actual credit card number.

I don't take a ton of valuables with me. As far as jewelry goes, I only wear my (cheapo) watch and wedding rings and I make sure to have them on at all times other than when I am sleeping.

I don't carry much cash. I just have a small purse thing where I put my cell phone, camera, KTTW card, and credit card. It's small enough to fit in the holding compartments on all of the rides. DH takes everything in his pockets. He does put his wallet in his front pocket when we're on vacation though. As safe as Disney World is, I'm sure it's not completely immune from pickpockets.

We use prepaid credit cards for Disney trips. If they are lost or stolen, at least they are not tied to your name.

For online purchases, we use a one time credit card number. We can go online to our credit card website and it auto generates numbers for us. You can choose the amount you want on it. We can give the numbers to plumbers or whoever you don't trust with your actual credit card number.

Wow, I've never heard of the one-time use CC numbers! What a great idea. I would love that for online shopping or ordering pizza, etc. I'll have to ask my bank about that.

As for the pre-paid credit cards, I found a Visa one at Target but it had a $4 fee with it. Which isn't a huge amount, but are there any better places to buy this type of thing?

We use the room safe every time and have never had a problem. When I go into the parks, I use a Disney backpack (small one) to carry what I need for the day.

I also attach one CC to the KTTW card and use that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter