How do you handle line anxiety?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
I am wondering what some people do to combat the stress and anxiety that comes with waiting in line? We have one member of our party who really struggles with the slow moving lines. I have seen some families play disney heads up, but that doesn't seem to work too well in some of the queues that end up single file. I was thinking maybe some silly putty they can mess with. just something to keep their mind busy while in line without having to be on an electronic device is preferred.
And they know the basic concept of everyone waiting, so having one of those "talks" won't help. they are just naturally a high stress person.
We will avoid long lines where possible like go back to the hotel for an afternoon swim, maxpass, etc. So I'm not looking on how to avoid the long lines, but once you are in them, how do you keep it fun and stress free.

We play 20 questions. We typically luck out with FP, refresh, and decent crowds so don't wait too long. I have seen families eating, people on phones, and reading books.

Snacks, phone games, heads up, the disney parks play app for some rides, including them in making plans for later, giving a kid something to watch on a phone/iPad, noise cancelling headphones, those water spray fans, bubble wands, light up toys, regular toys

Snacks especially if it requires focus to eat, maybe a dole whip float or something really crunch or chewy, like the giant turkey leg or popcorn.

Just talking is the best entertainment. Of course, it only works if the people you are with are fun! I could wait in line for hours with certain people, and... not so much with others (lol).

The Play Disney Parks app is meant for this, but it’s for phones, obviously.

Rock, Paper, Scissors. Looking for hidden Mickeys. Books.

I am wondering what some people do to combat the stress and anxiety that comes with waiting in line? We have one member of our party who really struggles with the slow moving lines. I have seen some families play disney heads up, but that doesn't seem to work too well in some of the queues that end up single file. I was thinking maybe some silly putty they can mess with. just something to keep their mind busy while in line without having to be on an electronic device is preferred.
And they know the basic concept of everyone waiting, so having one of those "talks" won't help. they are just naturally a high stress person.
We will avoid long lines where possible like go back to the hotel for an afternoon swim, maxpass, etc. So I'm not looking on how to avoid the long lines, but once you are in them, how do you keep it fun and stress free.
Have you considered getting them a fidget cube? That could help?

I got my friend's kids Disney mad libs. That helped pass the time.

Try to find hidden Mickeys, ask what rides would everyone want to ride next, what treats, snacks foods, would anyone want to try, etc. For our family, Disneyland is a place where the long lines do NOT matter because we are at DISNEYLAND. A long line at Disneyland beats a short line anywhere!

Does your family member have a documented disability? There are ways with DAS to get return times or wait in a certain area while the rest of your party goes through the line depending on the issue.

If it's just anxiety, my husband and I both suffer from that, but we manage at Disneyland fairly easily. Bring entertainment. We do Disney trivia sometimes. The new Disney Play app seems cool, but I haven't tried it yet. If I'm alone, I bring a book to read. Honestly though, if your heart isn't set on anything in particular, we tend to just skip anything with over 30 minute wait times. Peter Pan, for instance, just isn't worth our sanity. I'm claustrophobic, too, and those lines for the dark rides have very small spaces.

Maxpass/Fastpass will be your best friends, too, as many of the rides with long waits have this option.

Good luck!

When I go to the parks solo, I listen to podcasts while in line. Helps pass the time and gives my mind something to pay attention to that is interesting.

Does your family member have a documented disability? There are ways with DAS to get return times or wait in a certain area while the rest of your party goes through the line depending on the issue.

If it's just anxiety, my husband and I both suffer from that, but we manage at Disneyland fairly easily. Bring entertainment. We do Disney trivia sometimes. The new Disney Play app seems cool, but I haven't tried it yet. If I'm alone, I bring a book to read. Honestly though, if your heart isn't set on anything in particular, we tend to just skip anything with over 30 minute wait times. Peter Pan, for instance, just isn't worth our sanity. I'm claustrophobic, too, and those lines for the dark rides have very small spaces.

Maxpass/Fastpass will be your best friends, too, as many of the rides with long waits have this option.

Good luck!

Anxiety is a DAS qualifier.

My anxiety has to do with crowds of people surrending me and no open area to breathe in which, thankfully, in line is rarely a problem. I have a couple areas it is an issue (Haunted Mansion being the first I think of), but I've learned coping things.

With HM, I make a beeline for the crack where the elevator will open once it reaches the bottom and I just stare at the wall so I can't see the crowd. Then I move to either far left or right and hug the side while staring at the open space. If I'm unlocked in the elevator, I usually just hide my face in the arm of someone from my group.

In general, though, I have my panda stuffy as my main assistance and I also use a mixture of music (a playlist I titled "Anxiety Mix" which are just songs I know give me pleasant feelings), a fidget cube, and a cat's cradle. Also just making sure my whole party is aware of my issues tends to help.

Definitely consider if it's worthy of just getting DAS, though. I'm better in line for the most part so I don't need it, but it might be good for your group.

Essential oils can be really helpful, too. Some pleasant scents can be relaxing during stressful moments. Maybe try visiting a health food store or an Aveda store to sample some oils to see if something strikes a fancy? I put a few drops of the oil on a plain hankie and keep it in a zipper bag in my pocket. Then I can reach for it whenever needed.

If it’s really, really bad, definitely look into getting a DAS pass. That was a lifesaver for my son and his anxiety (he also has autism, but because of this, his anxiety is terrible when around people and lines were an absolute no go as he stims, grinds his teeth, twitches his face, and then starts hurting both himself and me by scratching both of us until he draws blood). When getting the pass, they cannot ask for a diagnosis or documentation, you have to explain the reason they cannot stand in line for any length of time. You can get the pass for the rides the person will be riding, just go to the information kiosks where they will look at the wait time for the ride and scan the pass and that person and the whole party returns at the designated time (or any time after) to usually the exit area or designated entrance area and they will get them on right away without waiting in the actual line with people. The only thing you really can’t use the pass for is character interactions, but a lot of times the CMs will work with you to make it less stressful for that person, you just have to ask at that time.

If it’s not that severe, for our other children (another one does have anxiety, but not DAS needing anxiety), we had her take her book to read in line or she will listen to music, or we talk enough that she doesn’t even notice that she is surrounded by people as she is too busy pointing out everything as we go.

My anxiety has to do with crowds of people surrending me and no open area to breathe in which, thankfully, in line is rarely a problem. I have a couple areas it is an issue (Haunted Mansion being the first I think of), but I've learned coping things.

With HM, I make a beeline for the crack where the elevator will open once it reaches the bottom and I just stare at the wall so I can't see the crowd. Then I move to either far left or right and hug the side while staring at the open space. If I'm unlocked in the elevator, I usually just hide my face in the arm of someone from my group.

In general, though, I have my panda stuffy as my main assistance and I also use a mixture of music (a playlist I titled "Anxiety Mix" which are just songs I know give me pleasant feelings), a fidget cube, and a cat's cradle. Also just making sure my whole party is aware of my issues tends to help.

Definitely consider if it's worthy of just getting DAS, though. I'm better in line for the most part so I don't need it, but it might be good for your group.
This is pretty much what they have, but it extends into the queues. It has to do with a feeling of being trapped and not able to get away easily. With all the bodies surrounding them in queues. HM is probably the worst. We always try to get to the right opening door, but sometimes we can't and we get stuck in the middle of the stretching room. Then when the doors open, if the line is backed up through the portrait hall, that is their worst nightmare. It's not bad if it's just our elevator, but when it's backed up in the portrait hall, then our elevator opens, then the other elevator opens again and it is just mass bodies, that's where they start having panic attacks.
Queues like Roger Rabbit and Indy (inside portion) are really bad too.

It can help to make a buffer zone with members of your group around the sensitive person. That way, while there are still people "surrounding" him/her, at least they are family/friends/familiar people and can give elbow room/breathing room. Keep that buffer zone throughout the line, no matter how other guests might try to force their way into your zone. If your group is making the buffer zone, then your group is in control of how much space is around the sensitive person. This trick has really helped other DISers.

What is DAS? And does one get this? I'm heading down to DL in July with my husband and 10 year old daughter, who has ADHD, and recently diagnosed with mild Asperger's syndrome. She has been to WDW in the past, but waiting in long lines really stresses her out and she can't stop moving and gets to a point were she her anxiety is so bad she will start to cry almost like she feels trapped. Some days are better then others depending on how big the line is and the crowds and weather. But I would imagine DL in July will be crazy. How does the DAS work? Thanks

We go to Hawaii instead :tilt:
Seriously, it's just too crowded and it's not relaxing to visit the parks at all. So rather than going at least once a year, we'll go once every five years or so.

The herb ashwagandha works well without side effects or concerns of addiction. But if its really bad go to your doctor and ask for a benzodiazepine for situational use. But ashwaganda really does work and you can take it every day your there without worry even before you have any aniexty. Good luck and remember to smile. Its very difficult to be anxious while you are smiling. Have a great trip!!

On a side note I suggested a common anxiolytic medication that starts and ends with the letter X but apparently that is now a banned word in this forum....... How Orwellian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter