How do you choose a resort?

Shellyb84

DIS Veteran
Do you stick with a favorite? Try something new each time? Split? Decide based on price alone? I'm having such a hard time decided on a resort for our next big trip (or 2, we'll probably split since it's 13 or 14 nights). Just interested to see how everyone else makes their decision.

Generally, we narrow down to a category based on budget, then pick the theme(s) we'd like for the particular trip, then check the dates for availability and eliminate any that don't work.

For our next trip, we kind of flipped it. DS desperately wants to stay at AKL, so we are concentrating on boosting the trip budget a bit to make that happen.

Usually in this order:
Sleeping arrangements/space
Budget
Transportation

When we had family of 5 we did POR and FW Cabins. Of those I preferred the space of FW Cabins
This trip was all about budget so I went with POP because of the dedicated buses and AOA being close enough for added food options.

We ended up sticking with a favorite. It all started many years ago with a visit to WDW via a business conference at the Swan/Dolphin. I decided it would be a great foundation for a vacation for DW and I. Since we were staying on after the conference and after some study of the various WDW resorts I decided on the BWI. I was attracted to the location close to Epcot and the description of the theming teased my memory of childhood visits to the Jersey Shore.

We quickly fell in love with the resort. That trip started many years of WDW visits. Over the years we toured many of the other resorts but kept coming back to the BWI. Of course neither DW or I are adventurous so we enjoyed that comfortable feeling of returning to a "known" resort. The "Welcome Home" greeting we always received really meant something to us.

We are blessed that our budget allowed us to continue to make visits to the BWI. The location close to Epcot was perfect for our adult only visits.
Good luck with your planning. I am sure you will make a pixiedust:choice.

We're hooked on Board Walk based on themeing and location, location, location. We can walk to half of the WDW parks, BW has a lot of entertainment itself and we just enjoy the place. Last Oct all the standard view studio rooms were gone before our DVC gal could get us 10 days so rather than take a chance on getting on the wait list we upgraded ourselves to the garden/pool view. Our room overlooked the grassy courtyard by the boards, now we're hooked on that.

Bill From PA

Do you stick with a favorite? Try something new each time? Split? Decide based on price alone? I'm having such a hard time decided on a resort for our next big trip (or 2, we'll probably split since it's 13 or 14 nights). Just interested to see how everyone else makes their decision.
I own at 3 different DVC resorts -BWV, VGF and AKV. Generally, I stick with them (that' why I bought there!) but I have stayed at most of the others (never stayed Poly DVC, but have stayed at the Poly, staying at CCV next month). Where we stay depends on what points I have available and what we plan to do while visiting. BWV for F&W. VGF or BLT for Christmas. AKV to fill in a relaxing night here and there. BCV for the pool if we're doing a summer trip and can actually book it. SSR and OKW if we're booking at the last minute and can't find rooms elsewhere.

With 13 or 14 nights, I would definitely split. I, personally, get antsy after about a week and need to switch up my environment! We've always done splits based on location and typically do MK/EP resort splits and plan our park touring accordingly (only going to MK and maybe AK while at the MK resort and only going to DHS/EP when at the EP resort). We do base it on budget, but we only stay deluxe at this point (we've done mods and values and it's just not our thing). We only go if we get a good discount and, though we have favorites, will pick based on price. For example, I will price out Swan/Dolphin, BC/YC and BWI for an EP resort stay (of course, factoring in transportation and resort fees into Swan/Dolphin stays). We prefer BWI, but if there is a substantial price difference, I certainly don't mind staying in a different EP resort. Same with the MK resorts. Whatever is cheapest (usually WL). I would also consider a AKL in a split, but I honestly don't know if I could do a week there! (We've done 3 night stays). I really like having close access to other resorts and parks as part of our resort stay. This is why, if I were going to consider a mod, I would probably only consider POR and POFQ (possibly Ft. W, but with a golf cart) simply because of the boat access to DS (plus they are lovely resorts!). I also don't mind pricing out studios and villas vs. regular rooms to see where I can get the best deal. So for us, it's really price and location.

My family usually travels together so our party size never changes. We consider things like:
1. Budget
2. Location
3. Transportation
We started staying at DVC resorts because my brother and I are both older and the four of us could not sleep in two queen beds comfortably. We stayed at OKW recently and will stay at Boardwalk this year. We LOVED OKW. But we prefer the Epcot resort area because of its location. Even if there were only two people in my party, I would still stay at DVC by renting points.

If you do not have a lot of stuff (we drive so we take a LOT), I would definitely look at a split stay especially for 14 day stays. You will get to stay at 2 resorts during one trip and have enough time to enjoy both.

The resort is real important to our trips since we do not do parks every day.
1) Discount - Just because we can afford a deluxe, does not mean it is worth it to us:) The last few years it has been 70% mods and 30% deluxe
2) Queen beds
3) Theme
4) Amenities

With 13 or 14 nights, I would definitely split. I, personally, get antsy after about a week and need to switch up my environment! We've always done splits based on location and typically do MK/EP resort splits and plan our park touring accordingly (only going to MK and maybe AK while at the MK resort and only going to DHS/EP when at the EP resort). We do base it on budget, but we only stay deluxe at this point (we've done mods and values and it's just not our thing). We only go if we get a good discount and, though we have favorites, will pick based on price. For example, I will price out Swan/Dolphin, BC/YC and BWI for an EP resort stay (of course, factoring in transportation and resort fees into Swan/Dolphin stays). We prefer BWI, but if there is a substantial price difference, I certainly don't mind staying in a different EP resort. Same with the MK resorts. Whatever is cheapest (usually WL). I would also consider a AKL in a split, but I honestly don't know if I could do a week there! (We've done 3 night stays). I really like having close access to other resorts and parks as part of our resort stay. This is why, if I were going to consider a mod, I would probably only consider POR and POFQ (possibly Ft. W, but with a golf cart) simply because of the boat access to DS (plus they are lovely resorts!). I also don't mind pricing out studios and villas vs. regular rooms to see where I can get the best deal. So for us, it's really price and location.

My original thought was an MK/EP resort split - ideally Poly/BC. But, DH wants a cheaper trip than last June. So it's probably going to be either Pop or a mod for 5-6 days and then deluxe for 7-8 days. I'm torn between sticking with our favorites or trying something different. I get worried we'll be disappointed if we don't stick with our favorites. :o I'm very indecisive and overthink everything. DH is no help because he doesn't care as long as it's cheaper than this year. :rolleyes2

We choose our resort based on theme/decor/atmosphere. We have our favorites, but we also like trying new resorts. We don't usually do split stays, but with a 13-14 night trip, I'd definitely do a split as you'd have more than enough time to enjoy 2 resorts. Have fun planning :wizard:.

We like to try new resorts. We've stayed at all the mods, and are working our way through the deluxes now. We have found lately that we like to do split stays, so we can be closer to certain parks on certain days. Last trip, we split between CR and BC and focused on Mk and EP accordingly. We did absolutely fall in love with CR though, so it is going to be hard not to stay there our next trip.

First and foremost is budget for us, amenities like pool/sleeping arrangements/location at WDW. I like some of the moderates for the privacy curtain in the bathroom vanity area since I get up earlier than the rest of my family. If I did an extended trip like that I would so splits as well. We do 5 days max so we stay at the same resort. Budget is usually our driving factor.

If it's a summer trip, I base it on the pool. Otherwise, it's mostly about theming and location. We do like to try different resorts in general, though.

First is budget. Then I think about what I want to get out of a particular trip. Some trips are short and park intensive. Some are long and I plan a few resort days. Some trips are because of specific events in a specific park, so location can be important. I have stayed at almost all of the WDW resorts, and had great trips at all of them by having realistic expectations and matching the resort to the reason for the trip.

Budget
Discount - If I get an awesome discount on a resort that wasn't originally on my list I will consider it and may go with it.
Pool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!