How do you afford it?

The very first time I took my kids (3 years ago), it was all on credit card, I have to admit. When my kids were little-little, I decided we would take our first family trip when my youngest was 5 years old. Well, dad and I got divorced when he was 4 years old, and I was still finding my financial feet when DS2 turned 5. It had at that point been 8 years since I'd been to WDW, it had been a rough year with the divorce, and I really wanted to do this. We did it very cheaply--stayed offsite in a place with cooking facilities--and it was a marvelous trip.

One of the wonderful things is during that couple years of financial hardship, I learned a lot about how to save money. As someone else here mentioned, The Tightwad Gazette is an amazingly helpful guide to saving money. Here are just a few things I do (or don't do) to save for our vacations:

*Like others, I set aside a percentage of my income for vacations. I also divide any unexpected income between savings and vacation fund.

*We rarely eat out (except when on vaca).

*We find cheap entertainment at home.

*I drive an older model car (1994) and found a cheaper mechanic than the dealer.

*I shop sales, and stock up on regularly used items when they are a great deal.

*I buy meats in bulk, and freeze them in family sized portions.

This is just a handful of things we do to make our vacations affordable. Another thing we have done is alternation 'BIG' trips with 'BUDGET' trips. Last year, we stayed at our timeshare (not DVC), and used the 2 days and 2 Plus options left on our hopper passes from the year before. We ate many meals in our condo, and alternated 'disney' days with 'hotel pool' days. This trip is going to be bigger (and more expensive); and next year, we'll plan another 'budget' trip.

DH and I are DVC members with no children:( so it's probably a little easier for us. I still think that the DVC is the biggest way we save money, because you don't have to come up with that big "chunk of change" for the hotel room every time you go. We usually get airfare for around $200(live in CT about an hour from NYC).We do breakfast in the room(since it's a DVC,you have at least a kitchenette),I put away money from DH's paycheck every other week(mine pays our bills). I clip coupons for groceries,we live in a fairly normal house, we drive normal cars that are not brand new,I don't buy very expensive clothing...we are pretty normal middle class people. Vacation is a priority for us, so we find creative ways to save for it.

Sit down and bang out the budget. You will be surprised at the money you will find hiding in the little black holes - like lunch at work, little decor pieces, that really cute pair of pants that you don't really need. That has worked for me so far - cut down expenditure on things that don't really make you happy, but you do because you've fallen into the pattern of doing it.

thanks dan, for telling jipsy what i meant by PAP. :)

oh, and i forgot to mention the change jar. we do that and use the extra money for vacations. we also put aside a certain amount of each paychecak and put it into a vacation fund. it's not 10% (can't afford that just yet), but every little bit helps. :)

I also wonder about those folks who go SEVERAL times a year-from distant locations...and I think it boils down to priorities.
Some have put off buying a house,having kids, saving for retirement ( I think saving for retirement is a "little" more important than a vacation),going to movies and restaurants in their everyday life, just to go to WDW multiple times......it is an addiction,,,maybe not as serious as other addictions,but an addiction just the same.

I typically go once a year but in the last 18 months I went 3 times and stayed onsite every time.

I love WDW but that was a little much for me.

I budget for 2-3 major vacations a year and few long weekend trips. For me, major involves air travel, involves at least 6 days away from home and costs $1-3K per trip.

To afford them I do a lot of what other people here have talked about -- bring my lunch everyday, eat out only one night a week, make most of our food from scratch (bread, cookies, pies, entrees, etc.), buy clothes only on sale or at outlets, make gifts instead of buying them, clip coupons, etc. I just acquired a car payment for the first time in 3 years (but so far it's been worth it :D). Other than that, our expenses are minimal -- we are not movie people, I don't spend a lot on babysitters (and now that daycare is no longer an expense we will have more money in the budget for other things), use the library, attend free concerts, pay for memberships at the zoo, aquarium and other things for the savings benefits.

I also work full time and have a very good job that pays well and allows me the luxury of taking frequent vacations.

I live in a small house, don't have a cleaning person or yard service -- we live a very unassuming daily life.

Vacations are pretty much our only luxury item. And we probably won't go to WDW in the next 12 months because we have other place we want to explore before going back again.

you know, recently dh and i have been trying to be a bit more frugal with our money, since my job is up in the air right now. we've been only eating out 1 time/week, bringing lunch to work, making more food from scratch, etc. and i was blown away at how much we saved.

we've been averaging $50-$100 in savings a week! :eek: this week we both had to buy some new clothes, so i doubt it will be that much, but i was really surprised at how much the "little things" add up!

Jipsy,
Where do you live. We live approx. 450 miles from Orlando...about an 8.5 hr drive.....so that saves a bundle on air fare......I usually start saving for my trip in May, and I've learned to travel during the value season. It is much, much cheaper, less crowded and NOT HOT!!!
I have stayed onsite up until last year. It is a lot cheaper to stay offsite to me. And since WDW has cut back on a lot of their freebies for resort guests....it makes more since to me to save my money staying offsite.
This year we are staying 7 nights, doing WDW for 4 days, US and and IOA for 2 days and have 3 character meals planned. Our total cost is going to be around 1400.00 for everything....2 adults and 2 children.....If you need any help on planning...email me

We're DINKs and DVC members.We do the change jar as well.I usually end up with close to 2,000 in change at the end of the year.As another poster said,DVC saves you the biggest portion you usually need to come up with.I also like it for trading out to other places,even if,according to some,it's not a good use of points.

You're one and you didn't even know it, Antnee!

DINKS = Double Income No Kids

Another thing is that it helps to marry well and actually stay married. Divorce can be awfully hard on one's finances, I hear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter