How do I stop this cycle?

mrsklamc

<font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what
I KNOW this is wrong but I can't seem to shift the head knowledge to action.

I can't seem to lose weight, and when I get depressed about it, I crave carbs. Which leads to...well, you know.

Any suggestions? I get so angry with myself because in my head this is such a stupid question! JUST STOP. But I can't seem to make that into reality.

I can totally sympathize...been going back and forth with trying to lose 12 pounds for what seems like forever. I do well for a little while, then out of no where I binge on all kinds of bad stuff (mostly carbs...I am a carb junky) then I feel bad and binge some more. The only advice I can offer, since I am struggling also, is to just keep at it until it clicks....don't give up. I follow Weight Watchers and going to the meetings actually help me a lot. I get a lot of support just from being there with others in the same situation...I see the same group of people each week; it motivates me to stick with it so when I go back next week I can tell them I did well. Maybe join a thread here that you can get support from and ideas on how to stay on track? It's a frustrating cycle but you can do it!!:hug:

Losing weight is a rather tedious task, its slow, difficult to measure due to daily fluctuations in weight/etc. My best recommendation is to find a friend who wants to get in shape, and an athletic endeavour you both enjoy. Be it running/cycling/rowing/hiking/etc. Anything you can do on a regular basis and can guage your success by something other than weightloss. Allow the weight loss to be a perk of doing something you enjoy with people you want to do it with.

making the lifestyle changes can be overwhelming....think of one change that sounds do-able, maybe drinking 8 glasses of water a day, walking 15 mins each day, etc....when that change has become routine make another change.

i have been trying to stop and think before snacking..."does this support my goal of losing weight?" that helps me put the cause and effect together in my head

Hang in there, I know how you feel. I used to really struggle with this, I would go off my diet and feel so bad, I would eat even more. I have realized I can't diet, that mind set doesn't work for me. I joined WW and started taking a nutrition class at work. I make choices about what I eat, if I want to eat pizza for dinner, then I eat better at lunch. When I changed the way I thought about dieting, I started to do so much better. There is no cheating and feeling bad, I just know I need to do better the next day. I have lost 23 lbs since January, I have good weeks and not so good weeks but just keep moving forward. If I can do it, so can you! Every change you make can make a difference, don't be so hard on yourself!

Good points above.

You can't think of it as a diet, it has to be a lifestyle change something you are willing to commit to forever. Sounds scary at first but it's really not and becomes easy over time. Slow and steady wins the race. Small changes that become habits will get you where you want to be eventually, don't try to do it all at once.

For me I thought my DH doesn't mind, I don't need to impress anybody and I don't want to starve myself to get there. Then I stepped on the scale one day and realized I was heavier then I'd ever been in my life, heavier then I was pregnant with twins. So I thought okay, I'm not willing to live off salads but I'm willing to do a little exercise. Got Wii EA Active and started doing the 30 day workouts on the lowest setting and worked my way up to the hardest over time.(this has become my easy work out now) Over several months I lost 11lbs. DH started making comments about how good I was looking but then I saw pics from Christmas-still not good. So on a whim I downloaded an app for counting calories BUT I was not going to starve. Seriously I didn't think it would last more then a week or two. It was shocking to see what real portions are. DH thought I was starving myself and I'll admit I was hungry at first. I decided to give myself a "splurge" meal once a week. Fast food in the beginning but my body has detoxed itself and when I eat fast food now I feel hungover and blecky the next day. Now splurge meals are something home made a little over what I usually eat but I find myself looking for ways to make them better. A weird thing happened, I found myself wondering do I want to log this? WHY do I want to eat this? Suddenly DH and DD are automatically eating smaller portions and making better choices as well. And guess what? I'm not living on salad! I eat real mayo, real cheese etc, just smaller potions and I make better choices elsewhere. I've gone from having to do a march in the lowest setting on the EA active to taking on Jillian Micheals and pounding out 45mins on the treadmill/elliptical at the gym. I've learned to say to my family we're not going to eat that, if you want it that bad we'll have it next week. Most importantly I haven't made these changes for anyone but myself. Down 27lbs and KNOW without a doubt that I will take off the other 27lbs and maybe more if I CHOOSE to. It's all about giving the power back to yourself. :thumbsup2

All this as a long winded way of saying, you can do this, have faith in yourself. Take your time and make small changes that will add up to big results. Good luck and keep coming back for support!

I am now an Isagenix for life person because of this same issue. It is doing wonders for me. I am not selling the stuff(I don't sell it at all and this is not intended to advertise), just telling you what is working for me. It is a detox system.

I am now an Isagenix for life person because of this same issue. It is doing wonders for me. I am not selling the stuff(I don't sell it at all and this is not intended to advertise), just telling you what is working for me. It is a detox system.
No offense but detox diets are a quick fix that won't last and does nothing to promote healthy habits. I could be wrong but I took the OPs original post as wanting to know how to make a real change that will not promote the endless cycle of dieting but will last over time.

OP:grouphug: I think we've all been there, personally I've been there many times. I would say you have to find a support network and take it one day at a time. Don't try to change everything at once. It works for some, but most people seem to have trouble maintaining lots of changes at once. Pick one thing to work on and go from there. For instance I gave up diet soda and started exercising. Giving up the soda has really helped with my carb cravings, and I find every week that goes by I'm eating healthier and healthier.

Hang in there! You can do this!

You could still join us on the Biggest Loser's Thread. We have four weeks left in this challenge and you can join at any time. The support is great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter